Started by Private User on Sunday, September 14, 2014
Problem with this page?

Participants:

• Private User
    Geni member

Profiles Mentioned:

Private User
9/14/2014 at 3:02 PM

Hi Marco. Thanks for getting back. Well, it’s been a hectic last few weeks hunting down Daniel Colin McNair. We made the critical breakthrough last week when we found his marriage in Scotland to Agnes Adelaide Louisa GORDON. It was only then that we found that as we suspected that his parents were Daniel and Emma Agnes(Carlier). Problem was there were three “ Daniels” in that family , Daniel Cruickshanks ( by Elizabeth Grace Carlier) and two by Emma Agnes (Carlier), namely Daniel Colin and Daniel Kenneth. We couldn’t believe that by Emma they would have named two children Daniel so we obviously thought that Daniel Colin was of different parentage. We have found that on the 1901 census he gives his place of birth as Svrilliputhur. However In what we think is an announcement of his birth in the Times of India it states that he was born in Tinnevelly which is quite a long way away from Svrilliputhur. The news paper piece reads; Times of India 25th Nov 1878. McNair, son of D. McNair Sub engineer DPW at Tinnevelly on 19th Nov 1878. Is this his birth announcement? Must be we are thinking as it fits so well. No name given though, that was a pity.
My Wife Linda and I have been researching on behalf of our friend Matthew Taylor here in Plymouth Devon. It is unpaid work and we as long time genealogists enjoy the chase rather than doing it as a profession. Matthew is the great grandson of Daniel Colin . His family have known about Daniel Colin for many years but had very little information on him, hence our search. Now here’s the thing. Daniel Colin liked to be known as D.Colin Mc Nair, I guess to stop the confusion over the two Daniels thing. He was sent to Scotland to study at the Royal College of Surgeons and Edinburgh and Glasgow Universities for a triple degree which was to see him qualify as a surgeon in 1917 although he started the course of 5yrs in 1901. A marriage in 1906 and two children getting in the way of his studies I guess. Here is where Matthew comes in. D.Colin was practising as a medical Practitioner in London during the 1920’s and got involved in an extra marital affair with one Kathleen R Bailey by whom he had two children, namely Colleen Rita Bailey and Colin Dennis Bailey. Matthew comes down from the Colleen side she being his Grandmother. Colleen Rita was born in 1925 and Colin Dennis in 1927.
At some point D.Colin’s marriage to Agnes Adelaide Louisa failed and he finally died in 1950 in Stockton on Tees in Durham. She passed away in 1959 in Bromley Kent. Daniel Colin and Agnes Adelaide Louisa had two children in 1906 and 1910 they being Colin Gordon Gracey McNair born in Edingurgh on the 5th Sept at 1 Blenheim Place and Dorothy Carlier Gordon McNair born on the 29th Nov also in Edinburgh at 2 Spottiswoode St. D.Colin did support his illegitimate children to some extent but at some point moved away from the area and the contacted we believe ceased.
I have documents to send you confirming his parentage, his children’s births and his marriage to Agnes AL Gordon. Matthew’s email address is xxxx Please let me know if there is anything in particular you need regarding information. And I think there was another child apart from the ones on the family tree site Geni. I have reference to a death of an infant girl child.
It is from Allens Indian Mail.24th Nov 1877 Death. In Srvilliputhur .McNair,infant daughter of Mr D McNair Dept of Public Works. (This would be by Emma Agnes) Also the Death of the wife of Mr D Mcnair DPW namely Elizabeth Grace McNair (Carlier) his first wife on the Feb 7th 1873 at Madras aged 41yrs which appeared in the Times of India on 15th Feb 1873 .Daniel McNair married Emma Agnes McNair 9th Jun 1875 at Madura.

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion