Thomas Gunn of Amelia Co., Virginia - Thomas Gunn of Amelia County, Virginia

Started by Hatte Anne Blejer on Friday, January 9, 2015
Problem with this page?

Participants:

Profiles Mentioned:

Related Projects:

Showing all 10 posts
1/9/2015 at 10:18 PM

Do any of the experts from Virginia want to take on this family. I found them attached via a string of mythical ancestors to Dr. Jasper Gunn of pre-Revolutionary New England and detached them.

I haven't looked below the first generation to see if the Gunns of Virginia are already represented elsewhere in the WFT on Geni although I saw one standalone tree.

1/9/2015 at 10:19 PM

Donald Franklin Colvin Private User

I have added a link that seems sensible with good research on the earliest generation (Thomas and Sarah Boatwright and their children).

1/10/2015 at 12:41 AM

Hatte Anne Blejer and Private User

I've got no experience with Master Profiles, but I guess I've got to start somewhere...

1/10/2015 at 9:54 AM

The Gunns should be MPs as early Virginians although I only used one source and have not yet checked the parents / children / spouses to make sure they are all complete and correct. That one link seems to have listed all of the available information for Thomas Gunn.

I'm guessing that there are Gunn descendants on Geni considering the number of descendants they are said to have.

Private User
1/10/2015 at 8:44 PM

Donald has accepted the challenge and will curate the Gunn family. I'm on stand-by if he has any problems. We've already got a good dialogue going on as he gets started.

One of the Gunns married into the Boatwright family and I did tons of work on them, with excellent sources. I'm sure the sources for that particular generation will give us more information on the Gunn family. The Boatwrights have a well-developed family association, and they have developed documentation of the early members of the family.

1/10/2015 at 9:05 PM

Excellent. I'm hoping eventually to see the Virginians in projects of some sort. I spent some of today looking at Augusta, Rockbridge, Botetourt.

1/10/2015 at 11:14 PM

I took a look at the mythical line discussed in the overview here

Thomas Gunn, I

Very nice notes!

I added it to this project

http://www.geni.com/projects/Spurious-Pedigrees/10512

And invited you all to join.

It's the best way i know of to alert members to the vanity pedigrees. If they're deleted, they will simply be added back. If they're in a project, they might get studied -- and lessons in genealogy learned.

Please encourage everyone to become familiar with these frauds.

1/11/2015 at 10:23 AM

The website that I quoted in the Overview was excellent. I was just lucky to find it.

I looked at MH profiles and found a lot of the spurious individuals and relationships represented.

It's an interesting question what to do with a profile like Thomas Gunn, I. I left it floating but not MPed, with the cautionary notes. I like the idea of a project.

1/11/2015 at 10:25 AM

In case Private User or Donald Franklin Colvin are wondering, there was an entire branch of Dr. Jasper Gunn of New England that consisted of the spurious profiles / line down to the first actual Thomas Gunn, Thomas Gunn. I detached him from the spurious line and detached it from Dr. Jasper Gunn.

Private User
1/11/2015 at 3:42 PM

Thomas Gunn (1700-1770), the one I gave the display name of Thomas Gunn (the Elder) of Virginia, is well documented, on this site - http://www.cgmaxwell.net/ThomasGunnHistory.html. One of his descendants is also well documented. I wish the author had cared more about the cousins of his ancestor. We would have a wonderful tree to build. Unfortunately, we have only Thomas and son James.

Showing all 10 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion