• Geni Pro
  • Private User
    Geni member
  • Private User
    Geni member
Showing all 25 posts
10/27/2015 at 11:58 PM

The Medlands link in the ABout doesn't work

The text in the About (which looks like a copy&paste from Medlands) doesn't match the data shown for him http://fmg.ac/Projects/MedLands/IRELAND.htm#_Toc389126206

His two wives seem to have been merged incorrectly at some point

He has the wrong children.

Unless this is a different SIHTRIC "Caoch"?

10/28/2015 at 12:13 AM

I think we need to either delete mac Ímair or change it to Uí Ímair, we know he wasn't Imar's son so "mac" is incorrect.

I think name field changes to
*First : Sigtryggr
*Middle : blank
*Last : blank
*Birth : blank
*Suffix : King of Dublin & York
*Display: Sitric Cáech, King of Dublin & York

10/28/2015 at 12:16 AM

or Display = Sitric "Cáech" ua Ímair, King of Dublin & York

Private User
10/28/2015 at 12:18 AM

Sitric Cáech mac Ímair, King of Dublin & York is your 28th great grandfather.from my Dad Woodrow Wilson Worthley and Frances Lenora Thomas-Worthley is Sitric Cáech mac Ímair, King of Dublin & York's 27th great granddaughter.So I am very interested in getting it correct.

10/28/2015 at 12:31 AM

Okay.

I also notice that the profile has multiple language tabs which all show him as a son of Imar (via the use of patronymics).

10/28/2015 at 5:38 AM

The "Mac" definitely needs to go, since we have no idea who his father was.

Since the Irish annals refer to him as "ua Imair" I'd keep that.

10/28/2015 at 6:30 AM

Anne Brannen

There's actually been a bad merge of Sitric mac Imair and Sitric ua Imair. They are two different generations of the same family, indeed the elder Sitric _could_ be father of the younger, or if not at least an uncle.

see my other post to Justin http://www.geni.com/discussions/150799?msg=1049954

10/28/2015 at 7:11 AM

Ah, yes, thanks. Got it.

Sitrich Cáech (d. 927) MIGHT be the son of Sitrich mac Imair (d. 896), but we don't know. He might be a nephew. At any rate, he's a grandson of Imair.

There's a later one, too, Sigtrigg "Silkbear" Olafsson (c 970-1042) but let's leave that out.

Look! I found a Helpful Chart! -- (if the link doesn't take you to teh chart specifically, you want page 278)

https://books.google.com/books?id=u4s0XqNL5D4C&pg=PA277&lpg...

10/28/2015 at 7:19 AM

It actually took me to page 277 which i made the mistake of reading. Who ever the author is they dont seem have a high opinion of the chart.

They do make an interesting point on page 276 however, perhaps the FATHER of Imar's grandson's is not mentioned because he is some inconsequential nobody and the kingship of Dublin is transferred via a DAUGHTER of Imar?

10/28/2015 at 7:35 AM

The footnote on page 56 is very interesting.

https://ia902605.us.archive.org/0/items/scotlandunderher01robeuoft/...

10/28/2015 at 7:41 AM

I know. It's not totally guesswork; the family is attested to both in sagas and in the Irish annals -- BUT these things alas do not say the same things all the time.

All the speculation can get put in the About section, though; it's interesting, and helpful.

10/28/2015 at 8:47 AM

Yes notes in the ABout are imperative but an even more important question is how do we structure the tree. To me it makes no sense having a beautiful detailed About but then attaching the person to the wrong parents.

Sitric is a prime example, how do we connect him (on the Geni Tree) to Imar if we dont know who his parents are?

http://www.geni.com/discussions/150806?msg=1049985

10/28/2015 at 8:49 AM

It's really a technical question more than a historical one, i mean historically we can't really know for sure but technically we have to make some sort of compromising choice. I really wouldn't like to sever the ua Imair branches from Ivar just because of one missing generation.

10/28/2015 at 9:13 AM

I've been thinking about this myself; in this case and in others.

One thing we could do would be to give an "unknown" father, and attach the father to Ivar/Imair. With notes in About.

That would keep the connection to the known line, but without attaching him to any one of the given sons, since that information isn't clear.

I'm not sure if I think this is the totally best solution, but it's the one I've thought up so far.

Private User
10/29/2015 at 9:11 AM

Sometimes there are an missing profile between two known, the easy solution is just to create one and add a footnote, example: You have 1, misses 2, but know that 3 is the grandchild to 1.

Sometimes there are another problem, you have 1 and 2, but do not know if 1 are the father to 2 or vice versa, solution, add a footnote.

The idea that just leave them out just because you do not know the order are in my opinion totally wrong.

Yet another common problem are multiple parents, 1 was first married to 2, then to 3, but which mother are the mother to the child?
Solution, pick the most likely, and just add a footnote that the other one could be the mother. I have really hard to understand the ones that rather choose "unknown" as mother in this sort of cases.

10/29/2015 at 4:05 PM

"You have 1, misses 2, but know that 3 is the grandchild to 1."

1= is obviously Imair
2= is an unknown number of children of Imair
3= the five "ua Imair"

What i don't like (but dont see a good solution to) is that having all of 3 attached as children of 2 making them display as brothers when we do not know this is the case.

I agree this is the most obvious method to use but i am curious if there are any others, as you say this is certainly not the first time such a situation has arisen.

We also now have the option that we can make profile 2 gender neutral with an additional note explaining the Daughter Theory.

Private User
10/29/2015 at 6:04 PM

Sitric Caech mac Imair,King of Dublin @York is my 28th grt grandfather please correct thks

10/29/2015 at 7:06 PM

Hi Judy,

You might be interested to know that Sitric Cáech ua Ímair and Sitric mac Ímair are two different people, possibly father and son but no one knows for sure.

10/29/2015 at 8:28 PM

I made this Unidentified child of Ivarr then found this Unidentified child of Ivarr.

Plan to merge them (with preference to mine of course!) and ask Jason to add a Curator note.

Then move/add the other grandsons to this profile

10/29/2015 at 10:39 PM

Sounds good to me.

Private User
10/30/2015 at 12:48 PM

Sounds good to me

5/22/2018 at 8:42 AM

that link still doesnt work (and he is my 30th great grandfather.!)

5/22/2018 at 3:24 PM

Hi Kristin Felicia VanNest it has been a few years, which link is it that does not work now?

5/22/2018 at 3:54 PM

I just ran across this post and was unfollowing it but I checked the orig link in the orig post and it still doesn't work. just stating.

Showing all 25 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion