Mary Elizabeth Oldham (Simpson) - Mary Elizabeth Simpson wife of Thomas Osborn is NOT Elizabeth Simpson wife of Jesse Davis Oldham

Started by Jane Angela Leavell on Wednesday, February 24, 2016
Problem with this page?

Participants:

Profiles Mentioned:

Showing all 3 posts
2/24/2016 at 3:41 PM

The wife of Jesse Oldham was born in 1740. If she were also the wife of Thomas Osborn, she would be 11 years when her first child with him was born, a physical impossibility.
Jesse and Elizabeth Simpson (not Osborn, which would have been her name if she were widowed or divorced from Thomas Osborn) were married October 21, 1757 in Kentucky, and had their first child in 1760. Yet Thomas Osborn and his wife were still having children during that time, including Thomas Osborn--Abt. 1758, Baltimore County, MD; Fanny Osborn--02 Feb 1759, Baltimore County, MD; and Bennett Osborn--08 Feb 1761, Baltimore County, MD.
This means we don't know the parents of the wife of Thomas Osborn, nor her burial place.
Now, how do we separate these two two women on the family tree on Geni?

8/10/2022 at 1:13 PM

Jana followed up:

I'm wondering if Mary Elizabeth Simpson is a different woman than the daughter of Richard Simpson and Elizabeth Kincheloe. Her first child with Thomas Osborn is born in 3 September 1751. That suggests she needs to be born around 1730.

Here's a complaint that there are two Elizabeth Simpsons being confused:
.....Hi, I sent you a message several days ago. Did you receive it? I was questioning what you have on Elizabeth Simpson. I have Elizabeth Simpson marrying in Baltimore County Maryland to Thomas Osborn August 3rd 1751. She had at least 8 children by Thomas Osborn. Now, you have her marrying in 1763? to a Jesse Oldham. I do not agree with you on this. This is another Elizabeth Simpson. My ancestor Elizabeth Simpson who married Thomas Osborn is not the one who married Jesse Oldham and I will tell you to look for Jesse Oldham's marriage record to Elizabeth Simpson---it is on Ancestry.. If she was first married to Thomas Osborn and had at least 8 children her name would not have been Simpson as it is on the marriage record of Jesse Oldham. And according to the marriage record she was born in 1740. Also I found a marriage record of this Elizabeth Simpson's parents

Richard and Mary Kencheloe Simpson in the year 1740 in N.C. You are saying that an Elizabeth Simpson married a Thomas Osborn, had 8 children and then turned around and married --using her maiden name to marry Jesse Oldham. If this would be one and the same person she was only about 10-11 years old when she first married and by the time she is 23 years old she has 8 Osborn children and getting married again---when Thomas Osborn is still liviing as he did not die until 1803/1804.
.....Then I found the will or settlement of estate of Mary (Kincheloe) Simpson in Fairfax Virginia dated 1798. In it she plainly states her daughter is Elizabeth Oldham wife of Jesse Oldham. Also on Ancestry.Com
.....Also, if you go on Find A Grave.Com you can go to the memorial for Elizabeth Simpson Oldham wife of Jesse Oldham who died in Madison County KY in the year 1813/1814. And again the memorial says that she is the wife of Jesse Oldham and lists her children as Oldham's only ---no Osborn's.
.....Everywhere I look people have combined these two Elizabeth Simpson's and they are two different women--not one person.
Please look at these records. I have done genealogy for more years than most of the age of the ones posting info on these lines---55 years to be exact. I want what ever information is out there to be correct and proven.
Thanks.
Carol
I am contacting you about this profile: Elizabeth Oldham
Sincerely,
Carol Jenkins

8/10/2022 at 2:14 PM

Elizabeth Osborn Separated from Elizabeth Oldham & relationships locked.

Thank you for calling attention.

Showing all 3 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion