Mary Roberts - Sources for Mary's maiden name Roberts?

Started by Roland Henry Baker, III on Thursday, February 25, 2016
Problem with this page?

Profiles Mentioned:

Showing all 15 posts
2/25/2016 at 11:21 AM

This is the profile for Mary, wife of John Thayer of the county of Gloucestershire, England, the progenitors for the New England Thayers. Does anyone have a recent high quality source for her maiden name Roberts? I ask because I checked Douglas Richardson's Royal Ancestry and none of the Thayers in New England are listed as Gateway Ancestor through her or via John Thayer.

According to the latest research I can find she was Mary (Unknown). TAG Vol 73 Clifford L Stott Thayer of Thornbury 1998 p 81 -90, 209-219 no date of marriage given: name "Mary ____" who married second to "___ Cooke." She is simply called Mary in the bp record of her children and later Mary Cooke.

According to Stott, the Thornbury parish registers were printed in the NEHGR 60 (1906):281-288, but with a number of transcription errors. Thomas Ojeda in 1907 attempted a reconstruction:

Tomas Thayer Ojeda, The Thayer Family of Thornbury: A Study Trying its Reconstitution, p. 16-17.

But his conclusions were later shown to be completely wrong. The most recent scholarly update of the family was:

The American Genealogist, vol. 73 no. 2, April 1998 p. 81-90. The Gloucestershire T(h)ayer Ancestry by Clifford L. Scott and

http://www.americanancestors.org/databases/american-genealogist-the...

The American Genealogist, vol. 73 no. 3, July 1998 p. 209-219. The Gloucestershire T(h)ayer Ancestry by Clifford L. Scott.

(Account at American Ancestors required).

These sources say that she was Mary (Unknown) with no marriage record to John Thayer. She married second to ____ Cooke. She is know as Mary in the bp records of her children and Mary Cooke in later wills and documents.

Also further up the tree Douglas Richardson does have Agnes/Anne in Magna Carta ancestry (as named Anne), married to John Freminham/ de Fremingham. So we are OK there. Assuming they had a son James who married Elizabeth Walworth and assuming they in turn had a dau Elizabeth Fremingham who married Thomas Roberts and they had in turn a dau Mary Roberts of Kent - how did she get from Kent over to Gloucestershire to marry John Thayer?

This would be great if it was true and we actually have a source for it but I'm coming up empty handed.

2/25/2016 at 6:21 PM

This person seems to agree and sites some sources.
http://www.glassenbury.blogspot.com/

2/26/2016 at 7:10 AM

Nice find Roget! I'm going to post the text from the above URL so that we have a record of it in case that web site ever disappears. It clearly argues that John Thayer's wife Mary was not related to the Rogers of Kent:

Sunday, March 10, 2002
( 5:56 AM ) stephen
Sir Thomas Roberts had issue by his wife Frances James.

Their second son was Thomas Roberts, baptised at Cranbrook, Kent, October II 1590. He made his Will 23 November 1644 and it was proved by Walter Roberts 2 December 1647. In the Cranbrook Church Register there is an entry for a burial of a Thomas Roberts on May 3. 1645, which we may reasonably conclude refers to this man. His father had left him by Will the sum of £50 a year, which in 1641/2 became the subject of Chancery Proceedings {Charles 1st, R315}. In these proceedings reference is made to the complainant, Thomas Roberts, gentleman; to Sir Thomas Roberts, knight & baronet, his father and to Sir Walter Roberts. Peter Courthope is another party to the dispute. There are other Chancery Proceedings on more or less the same subject and with the same parties in 1641 {Charles 1st, R8/4} as in 1639 {Charles 1st, R38/50}.

The Will of this Thomas Roberts "of Glassenbury, Kent, Esqr." {ref: P.C.C. 247 Fines}, mentions Sir Walter Roberts and "the Lady Roberts" his mother. He was unmarried. and had no children.

Thus, the Thomas Roberts born in Woolaston, Worcestershire (about 1600) and emigrated to America, where he died in 1673 after having had issue through his wife (evidently married about 1627) Rebecca Hilton, cannot have been the second son, nor any son, of Sir Thomas Roberts of Glassenbury, Kent, and his wife Frances James. The various American and French web-sites which claim this relationship take into consideration neither the fact that their Thomas Roberts was born in Worcestershire, the only claimed child of this Kent family to have been born there; nor that Worcestershire is a long way from Kent; nor that the Roberts of Glassenbury had no ancestral connection with that western county. Worcestershire is, on the other hand, nearer Wales, where Roberts was and is one of the commonest names, as is Thomas.
Neither have they taken into account the fact that the Irish Roberts of Glassenbury family of baronets (now resident in the USA) used to claim descent from the very same Thomas Roberts that the American websites claim. That descent was considered not capable of proof by Garter King at Arms, and accordingly a new Baronetage was created for the Irish Roberts family in 1809. The latest (1999) "Burke's Peerage" entry for the family claims no such descent.

The erroneous Woolaston-New Hampshire descent has been enshrined in the International Genealogical Index of the Mormon Church and is leading astray various amateur genealogists who do not have access to fuller sources. The probably reason for this is that, according to, amongst others, Col. J. W. Tyler, in his articles on the Kent and Sussex family in "Miscellanea Genealogica et Heraldica", vols. 6 & 7 (1927/8), various royal descents are traceable through this family, and thus the various web sites claim connections with Charlemagne and many many others.

Common sense, as well as a two volume typescript by Dorothy Wyndham on the family, which is deposited in the Society of Genealogists library in London, show that neither the Irish Roberts nor the American ones, can claim descent from this Thomas, and that if there is some reason for believing that the Irish family may be a branch of the Kent and Sussex one, there is no reason to suppose that the American family is in any way connected to them.

29th May 2002:
Please also look at the following succinct web site which proves that the father of the American Thomas Roberts of Woolaston was a John Roberts and not Sir Thomas of the Glassenbury family: www.imt.net/~toss/Roberts.html
(2nd December 2002)
You might also look up my subsequent Blogger site, which has a promising fruitful line of ascent for the Roberts of Woolaston: RobertsofWoolaston.blogspot.com

2/26/2016 at 10:01 PM

What has this to do with Mary Roberts?
The reference http://www.glassenbury.blogspot.com/ refers to Sir Thomas Roberts, 1st Bt of Glassenbury & Thomas Roberts & Gov. Thomas Roberts, I
A different Thomas Robert then the one connected as father to Mary Cooke , Thomas Roberts

Should Mary Roberts be unmerged, it seems there are possibly two different Mary's involved here?

The undo merges would not completely separate the two individuals as I think there were wrong merges done back in 2014 and earlier.

If there is to be a undo-merge, posts in the 'About' section will be changed so it is a good idea to copy/post in this discussion what is going to be re-/entered in the 'About' sections of both profiles

Here is another reference for Mary Roberts, dau. of Thomas Roberts & Elizabeth (Fremlingham/Frammingham) wife of Thomas Cheney

A genealogical and heraldic history of the extinct and dormant baronetcies of England, by J. and ... by John Burke
https://archive.org/details/bub_gb_K1kBAAAAQAAJ
https://archive.org/stream/bub_gb_K1kBAAAAQAAJ#page/n460/mode/1up
Pg.444
ROBERTS, OF GLASSENBURY.
.... etc.
*WALTER ROBERTHE, esq. who in the year 1472, caused the same to be pulled down, and the next year erected, at the charge of eighteen hundred pounds, another moated house in the valley of Glassenbury and parish of Cranebook, which ever afterwards continued the abode of the family.† This Walter became possessed of the whole estate by the death of his brother Stephen, who died without issue. he was a person much famed for his eminent qualifications and hospitality, as also for adhering to the Lancastrian interest, by which he became a great sufferer during the rule of RICHARD III. Having concealed Sir John Guldeford in his house at Glassenbury, where that person was seized by Sir Edward Stanley and Sir John Savage, he was attainted of treason, his lands seized, and forced himself to abscond until the accession of HENRY VII. when he was restored to his possessions. In the 4th of that reign he had a grant from the crown to impark six hundred acres of land and one thousand acres of wood in Cranebrook, Gowdehurst, and Ticehurst, in the counties of Kent and Sussex; as also that he and his heirs should have free warren in all his lands and woods, and fishing in his waters, in the parishes aforesatid, with all liberties and franchisements in such cases granted. He was sheriff of the county of Kent in the same year, and hiving lived under six kings, HENRY VI. EDWARD IV EDWARD V. RICHARD III. HENRY VII. and HENRY VIII. departed this life at more than eighty years of age, A.D. 1522. This Walter m. first, 23rd October, 1463, Margaret, daughter and heir of John Penn, esq. of Penn's Place, Herts; secondly (his first wife dying 6th May, 1480), Isabel, daughter of Sir John Culpeper, knt.; and thirdly, Alice, daughter of Richard Naylor, esq. and widow of Lord Abergavenny; by whose ladies he had no less than thirty children.‡ His son and heir,
* THOMAS ROBERTES, esq. of Glassenbury, was sheriff of Kent 25 HENRY VIII. He m. Elizabeth, daughter of James Frammingham, esq. of Suffolk, and had issue,
** WALTER, his heir.
** Thomas, who died in 1567.
** John, ancestor of the Roberts of Borzell Ticehurst, and Stone House, Warbleton, Sussex.
** Mary, m. to Thomas Cheney, of Woodley.
** Jane, m. first to Richard Burston; and secondly, to Richard Love.
*Dying in 1557, he was s. by his son,
* WALTER ROBERTES, esq. of Glassenbury, who married Frances, daughter of Mr. Alderman John Maynard, of London (which lady was born when the Emperor CHARLES V. visited England, and had the honour to have his imperial majesty for her godfather); by her he had issue,
** THOMAS (Sir), his heir.
** Edmund, m. Judith, third daughter of William Bird, esq. of the city of London, and widow of Thomas Blunt. He died 12th September, 1625, leaving issue.
** Alexander, of Thorp, near Egham, in Surrey. This gentleman was a great traveller. He m. a daughter of Thomas Culwich, esq. of London, and dying in 1649, left issue.
*The eldest son and heir,
* I. SIR THOMAS ROBERTS, of Glassenbury, who was knighted by King JAMES I. at Whitehall, before his coronation, 23rd July, 1603, and was created a BARONET 3rd July, 1620. He m. Frances, daughter of Martyn James, esq. of Smarden, in Kent, and had issue,
** WALTER (Sir), his successor.
** Thomas, d. unm.
** John, d. unm.
** William, d. unm.
** Frances, m. first, to John Hooper, esq. of Stockberry; and secondly, to Henry Crisp, esq.
** Elizabeth, m. to Sir Alexander Culpeper, knt. of Bedgbury.
** Anne, m. to Thomas Crisp, esq. of Goudhurst.
*Sir Thomas is described as "hospitable without excess, and charitable without ostentation." It is farther stated, that "in all other respects he shewed himself a prudent and judicious gentleman, a lover of his country, and a good Christian; he valued the memory of his ancestors, and bore in his mind their good actions, as well as the care they had taken in preserving the estate entire for many generations; where-upon, in the year 1599, he caused an inscription to be set up in the church of Cranebrook, containing a memorial of his family, that his posterity, having it always before their eyes, might be induced to imitate their example, and preserve the credit and repute his forefathers had lived in." He d. 21st February, 1627, and was s. by his son, .... etc.

2/27/2016 at 11:25 AM

It is tangential at best Carole to be sure.
Mary “Roberts” wife of John Thayer and ___ Cooke of Thornbury, South Gloucestershire, England:
Mary Cooke
Is currently shown as daughter of Thomas Robert I 1494 – 1562 Glassenbury, Cranbrook, Kent, England:
Thomas Roberts
That same Thomas Robert I 1494 – 1562 of Glassenbury, Cranbrook, Kent, England is shown as the grandfather of Baronet Thomas Roberts 1570 – 1627 of Glassenbury, Cranbrook, Kent, England:
Sir Thomas Roberts, 1st Bt of Glassenbury
Via Walter Fremingham Roberts 1526 – 1580 of Glassenbury, Cranbrook, Kent, England
Walter Framingham Roberts
In other words Mary Roberts above is now being shown as sister to Walter above. This tangentially shows a history of false claims (as in the case of the Thomas Roberts, who married Rebecca Hilton and the case of Mary wife of John Thayer) of relationships to the Roberts of Kent by Roberts of very distal geography such as our Mary of South Gloucestershire.
Your source shows that their daughter Mary Roberts of Kent married Thomas Cheney of Woodley.
So it does look like a merge gone wrong with some wishful thinking. We don’t even have any evidence that Mary’s last name was Roberts.
Let’s try an unmerge. I’ll post the entire about second here and we can cut and paste what we want. I’ll also keep a backup just in case.

2/27/2016 at 11:26 AM

This is a backup of "about" for Mary (Roberts?) m John Thayer:

http://www.thehennesseefamily.com/getperson.php?personID=I15568&amp...

View her ancestry to Henry III, King of England (1206-1272) ... http://www.ourfamilyhistories.org/ahnentafel.php?personID=I16507&am...

Henry III (of England) (1207-72), king of England (1216-72), Duke of Aquitaine, son and successor of King John (Lackland), and a member of the house of Anjou, or Plantagenet. Henry ascended the throne at the age of nine, on the death of his father. During his minority the kingdom was ruled by William Marshal, earl of Pembroke, as regent, but after his death in 1219 the justiciar Hubert de Burgh was the chief power in the government. During the regency the French, who occupied much of eastern England, were expelled, and rebellious barons were subdued.
Henry was declared of age in 1227. In 1232 he dismissed Hubert de Burgh from his court and commenced ruling without the aid of ministers. Henry displeased the barons by filling government and church offices with foreign favorites, many of them relatives of his wife, Eleanor of Provence, whom he married in 1236, and by squandering money on Continental wars, especially in France. In order to secure the throne of Sicily for one of his sons, Henry agreed to pay the pope a large sum. When the king requested money from the barons to pay his debt, they refused and in 1258 forced him to agree to the Provisions of Oxford, whereby he agreed to share his power with a council of barons. Henry soon repudiated his oath, however, with papal approval. After a brief period of war, the matter was referred to the arbitration of Louis IX, king of France, who decided in Henry's favor in a judgment called the Mise of Amiens (1264). Simon de Montfort, earl of Leicester, accordingly led the barons into war, defeated Henry at Lewes, and took him prisoner. In 1265, however, Henry's son and heir, Edward, later King Edward I, led the royal troops to victory over the barons at Evesham, about 40.2 km (about 25 mi) south of Birmingham. Simon de Montfort was killed in the battle, and the barons agreed to a compromise with Edward and his party in 1267. From that time on Edward ruled England, and when Henry died, he succeeded him as king.

Henry III was married at Canterbury Cathedral, Kent, England. See image & history... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canterbury_Cathedral [3]

Sources

[S20103] James Davis, Ancestral File (TM) - ver 4.12 PEDIGREE CHART, by the (Reliability: 3).

[S45131] http://www.ourfamilyhistories.org/getperson.php?personID=I16507&amp....

[S51579] http://www.ourfamilyhistories.org/ahnentafel.php?personID=I16507&am....

_______________________________-

This is the profile for Mary, wife of John Thayer of the county of Gloucestershire, England, the progenitors for the New England Thayers. Does anyone have a recent high quality source for her maiden name Roberts? I ask because I checked Douglas Richardson's Royal Ancestry and none of the Thayers in New England are listed as Gateway Ancestor through her or via John Thayer.

According to the latest research I can find she was Mary (Unknown). TAG Vol 73 Clifford L Stott Thayer of Thornbury 1998 p 81 -90, 209-219 no date of marriage given: name "Mary ____" who married second to "___ Cooke." She is simply called Mary in the bp record of her children and later Mary Cooke.

According to Stott, the Thornbury parish registers were printed in the NEHGR 60 (1906):281-288, but with a number of transcription errors. Thomas Ojeda in 1907 attempted a reconstruction:

Tomas Thayer Ojeda, The Thayer Family of Thornbury: A Study Trying its Reconstitution, p. 16-17.

But his conclusions were later shown to be completely wrong. The most recent scholarly update of the family was:

The American Genealogist, vol. 73 no. 2, April 1998 p. 81-90. The Gloucestershire T(h)ayer Ancestry by Clifford L. Scott and

The American Genealogist, vol. 73 no. 3, July 1998 p. 209-219. The Gloucestershire T(h)ayer Ancestry by Clifford L. Scott.

(Account at American Ancestors required).

These sources say that she was Mary (Unknown) with no marriage record to John Thayer. She married second to ____ Cooke. She is know as Mary in the bp records of her children and Mary Cooke in later wills and documents.

Also further up the tree Douglas Richardson does have Agnes/Anne in Magna Carta ancestry (as named Anne), married to John Freminham/ de Fremingham. So we are OK there. Assuming they had a son James who married Elizabeth Walworth and assuming they in turn had a dau Elizabeth Fremingham who married Thomas Roberts and they had in turn a dau Mary Roberts of Kent - how did she get from Kent over to Gloucestershire to marry John Thayer?

This would be great if it was true and we actually have a source for it but I'm coming up empty handed.

(backup copy also saved on my computer just in case).

Here is a reference for Mary (Roberts) wife of John Thayer, II but I question the reliability.

My Mother's Branch:The Lineage and Life of Carrie Viola Reeves and Her Family By Doyle W. Williams
https://books.google.com/books?id=x9-jBAAAQBAJ&pg=PA599&lpg...
Pg.599
1557 -Married Mary ROBERTS (aged 22); Thornbury, Gloucester County, England
Pg.605
-14. Elizabeth FREMINGHAM (1502-1587)
Carrie's 12gGrandmother
b. 1502 at Kent County, England
m. Fnu ROBERTS at England
d. 1587 at Kent County, England
Elizabeth's Parents: James FREMINGHAM (1470), Elizabeth WALWORTH (1474)
Elizabeth's Children: Mary ROBERTS (1535)

Also

Mary Roberts1
F, #72876, b. circa 1533
Mary Roberts was born circa 1533 at of Thornbury, Gloucestershire, England. She married John Thayer, son of John Thayer and Constance Holbrook, in March 1557 at Thornbury, Gloucestershire, England.1 Mary Roberts was buried on 20 April 1611 at Thornbury, Gloucestershire, England.1
Family John Thayer b. c 1531
Children
Richard Thayer+2 b. 2 Aug 1562
John Thayer+1 b. 26 Oct 1567
Citations
[S11674] Genealogy.com, Ancestors of Stanley Elmer Allen.
[S61] Unknown author, Family Group Sheets, Family History Archives, SLC.
http://our-royal-titled-noble-and-commoner-ancestors.com/p2425.htm#...

Tayer (Thayer) family entries in the parish register of Thornbury, Gloucestershire, England by Faxon, Walter
https://archive.org/details/tayerthayerfamil00faxo
https://archive.org/stream/tayerthayerfamil00faxo#page/3/mode/1up
Baptisms
4 Jan. 1557-8. Johes Tayer. Godfathers: Johanes Williams, Johannes Tyther. Godmother: Elizabeth Cooke.
.... etc
7 Nov. 1559. Thomas Tayer. Godfathers: Thomas Moore, Johanes Barton. Godmother: Elizabeth Whitfield.
.... etc.
2 Aug. 1562. Richardus Tawier. Godfathers: Richardus Cheyre, Walter Howks. Godmother: Elizabeth Picher.
.... etc.
1 Nov. 1564. Whilihelmus Tawier. Godfathers: William Bruton, Johannes Jonis. Godmother: Joyce Griffings.
.... etc.
16 Dec. 1565. Alicia Tawier. Godfather: Richard Griffing. Godmothers: Alicia D[ ]rnt, Elizabeth Howell.
.... etc.
23 Sept. 1568. Luci Tawier. Godfather: Johanes Driver. Godmothers: Luci Baker, Catherina Rippe.
.... etc.
13 Aug. 1570. Anna Tawier. Godfather: Thomas Marten. Godmothers: Agneta Ady, Alice Laurence.
23 Mar. 1572[-3]. William Tawyer. Godfathers: Robert Eslineton, Johanes Jonis. Godmother: Johana Bartone.
25 Jan. 1573[-4]. Nicholas Tawier. Godfathers: Nicholas Adams, Thomas Holdbrooke. Godmother: Johana Tocker.
26 Oct. 1577. Edward Tawier. (Christened.)
25 Apr. 1579. Ursula Tawier. (Christened.)
6 Jan. 1581[-2]. Anthony Tawier. (Christened.)
.... etc.
https://archive.org/stream/tayerthayerfamil00faxo#page/7/mode/1up
Marriages.
30 Apr. 1597. Thomas Tillad to Alice Tawyer.
15 Oct. 1599. Nicholas Tayer to Jone Stones.
4 Nov. 1599. William Pytch[r] to Ussly Tayer.
.... etc.
https://archive.org/stream/tayerthayerfamil00faxo#page/8/mode/1up
Burials.
21 Aug. 1558. Johes Tawier.
11 Feb. 1561[-2]. Johes Tawier.
11 Feb. 1561[-2]. Willihelmus Tawier.
19 Mar. 1561 [-2]. Constans Tawier.
13 Jan. 1565 [-6]. Willihelm Tawier.
6 Mar. 1565[-6], Thomas Tawier.
5 May 1571. Agneta Tawier.
20 Nov. 1572. Wilihelmus Tawier.
17 Mar. 1573[-4]. Thomas Tayer.
4 May 1576. Johana Tawier.
4 July 1579. Secilia Tawier.
12 Oct. 1584. John Tawier.
11 Sept. 1586. Catherine Tayer.
13 Dec. 1586. Alice Tawier.
16 Aug. 1587. Anthony Tayer.
8 Nov. 1590. Jane Tayer.
10 Nov. 1590. An Tawier.
10 Nov. 1590. Ann Tawier daughter of above born, and buried at the same time as her mother.
5 Feb. 1592[-3]. Jone Tayer.
26 Apr. 1593. Margaret Tayer.
14 Feb. 1594[-5]. Thomas Tayer.
1 Jan. 1600-1. John Tayer died, buried 4th day.
18 June 1603. Margaret Tayer.
15 Mar. 1606-7. John Taire, son of Richard Tayre.
11 Feb. 1609 [-10]. Thomas Taire, son of Edward Taire.
12 Oct. 1610. John Taire, son of Richard Taire.
20 Apr. 1611. Mrs. Mary Cooke (whose Sister [sic] in law was Thomas Tawyer who died in Anno 1593).
15 Nov. 1612. Alice Tawyer.
13 Dec. 1619. Ursula Tayer.
10 July 1621. Wilfrey Tayer.
12 June 1622. Welfrey Tayer.
25 Feb. 1622[-3]. Bartholomew Tayer.
3 Mar. 1 622[-3] . Thomas Tayer.
3 Oct. 1626. Jonathan Tayer.
2 May 1627. Ursula Tayer.
24 Sept. 1627. Marie Tayer.
5 Nov. 1627. Edward Tayer.
3 Dec. 1627. Thomas Tayer had a child buried not baptised.
.... etc.

The New England Historical and Genealogical Register
https://books.google.com/books?id=0NZ3KVrMcb8C&pg=PA288&lpg...
Pg.283
Pg.287
Pg.288
Same as in Tayer (Thayer) family entries in the parish register of Thornbury, Gloucestershire, England

New England Families, Genealogical and Memorial: A Record of the ..., Volume 4 edited by William Richard Cutter
https://books.google.com/books?id=NfksAAAAYAAJ&pg=PA1915&lp...
https://archive.org/details/newenglandfamili04cutt
https://archive.org/stream/newenglandfamili04cutt#page/1947/mode/1up
Pg.1915
The following facts about the English ancestry of the Thayer family are taken from a book entitled "The Thayer Family of Thornbury" by Thomas Thayer Ojeda, 1907.
(I) Johanes Tawier, the first known English progenitor, married very likely Constans or Johana Tawier. He died March 19, 1561-62, and she died May 4, 1576. The earliest mention of the name of Tayer in Thornbury, Gloucestershire, England, is among twenty-six tenants who made presentment of the customs of the Manor in 1550. As only the surname was given, doubtless he was the only one living there by that name. He may have been this Johanes Tawier. Their children probably were : Willihelmus, born February 11, 1561 ; Jone ; Johanes; Thomas ; Constans ; Agneta ; Alice.
(II) Johanes (2), son of Johanes (i) Tawier, marrie/d Mary (Roberts) Tawier. His name is mentioned as a godfather in 1565-67-68-69. He died October 12, 1584. His widow married (second) —— Cooke, and she died April 20, 1611. Children: Johanes, born January 4, 1557-58; Thomas, November 7, 1559; Johanes, May 6, 1561 ; Richardus, mentioned below ; Johanes, February 28, 1564 ; Willihelmus, November 1, 1565; Alice, December 16, 1566; Ussly; Lucy, September 23, 1568; Anna, August 13, 1570; William, March 22, 1572-73; Nicholas, January 25, 1573-74; Edward, October 26, 1577; Ursula, April 25, 1579; Anthony, January 6, 1581-82, died August 16, 1587.
(III) Richardus (Richard) Tawier or Tayer, son of Johanes (2) Tawier, married (first) —— (Gibbs?) Tawier; she died November 10, 1590. He married (second) —— (Dimery?) Tawier. He was living in 1625. Children by first wife : Catherine, born June 24, 1586; Alice, October 23, 1587; Margaret, December 23, 1589; Ann, November 10, 1590, died same day. Children of second wife : Joane, born January, 1592-93; John, April 17, 1593; Mary, March 1, 1595-96; Thomas, mentioned below; Wilfry, January 1, 1599-1600; Richard, April 5, 1601 ; Catherine, February 24, 1603-04; William, May 5. 1605; Margaret, June 10, 1606; Agnes, March 15, 1607-08; John, April 29, 1610, died October 12, 1610; John, December 26, 1627-28.
(IV) Thomas Tayer, son of Richardus (Richard) Tawier or Tayer, was born August 16, 1597. He married. April 13, 1618, Margerie, daughter of Abell and Jane (Tayer?) Wheller, of Thornbury. He was in Boston, Massachusetts, before February 24, 1639-40, and settled at Mount Wollaston, afterwards Braintree, Massachusetts, where he died June 2, 1665. His will was dated June 21, 1664. Children: Ursula, born November 18, 1619; Welfrey, May 20, 1621 ; Thomas, September 15, 1622; Ferdinando, April 18, 1625; Ursula, October 8, 1626; —— , December 3, 1627, buried and not baptized; Shadrach, mentioned below; Mary, June 24, 1630; —— , December, 1632,. buried and not baptized; Sara, born in New England; Hannah, in New England.
(V) Shadrack Thayer, .... etc.

2/27/2016 at 3:32 PM

We need to back up. NEHGR Volume 60 in 1906 published the parish records of Thornbury. These were found to be in error. In 1907 Thomas Ojeda tried to fix some of the errors but in attempting to do so made even worse errors. All the genealogies above dated pre-1998 (i.e. almost all of these are pre-1998) are based on the 1906 and 1907 works which were both in error. So we already know that any genealogy published pre-1998 is based on the on the 1906/1907 transcriptions is wrong. So in 1998 The American Genealogist (who shares basically the same pool of editors as NEGHR and Great Migration, etc.) Went back to Thornbury and published first all the raw transcription again but this time correctly. And then Clifford L. Scott published a second article re-interpreting all the Thayer data based on the new transcriptions. Clifford L. Scott’s work was reviewed by Douglas Richardson who is the author of the five volume set of Royal Ancestry as well as Magna Carta Ancestry, etc. So Douglas Richardson was well aware of any potential connection to Roberts. And yet he has never claimed the Thayers were gateway ancestors. And obviously both Douglas Richardson and Clifford L. Scott in 1998 could find no evidence of a marriage to a Mary Roberts or any evidence to her maiden name. So unless someone has found and published a new parish record set since 1998 – I doubt it. The only source above published post-1998 is “My Mother's Branch” (2014) And that book from what I can tell includes mistakes called out in the 1998 article which to me means the author did not read the new transcriptions from 1998. For example she include this child which was called out in the 1998 article:

Johannes Tawier, bp. 28 Feb. 1563 [i.e., 1562/3]; godfathers: Johannes Moore, Humfridus
Whitfield; Godmother: Elenora Barton.
[This entry is actually for Johannes Tayler; see above, p. 83.)

She also makes the original mistake that the child name d John born 6 May 1561 died in 1562. That is the mistake made on the original transcriptions. In fact the whole point is that the child born 6 May 1561 is the John Thayer who married Joan Lawrence and he died in 1601:

JOHN TAYER (John) was probably baptized at Thornbury, Gloucestershire, on 6 May 1561. He died on 1 January 1601 [i.e., 1600/1] and was buried at Thornbury on 4 January. John ""'Tote his will on 31 December 1600, which was proved on 19 March 1600/ 1. He married at Thornbury on 3 August 1589, JOAN LAWRENCE, daughter of James and Cicely (Hilpe) Lawrence. She married secondly, before 1616 (when she was listed as a godmother), - Shipman and was living as late as 1626 when she sold land to Guy Lawrence. (See "Lawrence Hilpe Connections" below.)

So it looks to me the author in 2014 was still referring to the erroneous transcriptions form 1906/7.

2/27/2016 at 3:40 PM

I misspelled the authors name above - sorry! :) His name is Clifford L. Stott (not Scott).

I would suggest entering even the incorrect lineage toward the bottom of the 'About' sections with notations about it being incorrect, other wise people will find it listed online as I did, add the profiles and expect to merge selecting the incorrect line.

I will start the undo merge on Mary

I have finished with the undo merges but they were not able to remove the husband Thomas Cheney, alias Cooke so I have done that afterwards.

I did not get a separate profile for Mary Roberts wife of Thomas Cheney, dau. of Thomas Roberts & Elizabeth (Fremlingham/Frammingham) but for unknown reason they just disconnected on their own as parents of Mary wife of John Thayer.

So I will be adding a new profile for Mary (Roberts) Cheney dau. of Thomas Roberts & Elizabeth (Fremlingham/Frammingham). Those managers for Mary wife of Thomas Cheney please request management of Mary Cooke

I would suggest removing the link http://www3.telus.net..... in Mary's About section, it is no longer valid.

Suggestion to add Unknown named profiles for parents of Mary wife of John Thayer as Space holders so the incorrect parents will not be merged in again.

3/7/2016 at 9:03 AM

Thanks for all your help!

I think everything looks great now. I added the NN parents and a few notes. I also find identical profiles for Mary and her husband and son Richard and put in a merge request.

Have an excellent day!

Roland Henry Baker, III
Merges you requested for the duplicates are done.

And I will MP and lock the name fields for unknown father of Mary & Unknown mother of Mary so unsupported parents will not be added.
I will add a curator note also.

Showing all 15 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion