H1-T16189C!

Started by Anna Ruth Duffer on Sunday, September 18, 2016
Problem with this page?

Participants:

Showing all 20 posts
9/18/2016 at 7:42 PM

This is also my haplogroup, but I have not been able to trace my mother's tree back very far. My father was distantly related to my mother (5th cousins). When I try to trace people of the same haplogroup, they usually end up being related on my father's side of the tree. I can trace his tree back a very long way. I can only trace my Mom tree back to Germany about 6 generations ago. My father's tree is all over the place. The oldest connections are in Egypt, Arabia, Persia, Italy, Spain, Portugal, Hungry, France, Wales, Norway, and Germany. Probably in that order. I now live in Houston but was born on the east coast. My fathers' father's ancestors came to the US as part of the Jamestown settlers. My fathers' mother's ancestors came here from Paris. My mothers' father's ancestors can be traced back as far as St. Mary's, MD. I think they might have come over on the Ark and the Dove but I can not prove that since there were so many Benjamin Price's there at the same time. My mothers' mother's ancestors were Drum's that I was able to trace back to the1600's Germany.

10/5/2016 at 9:41 PM

I was just tested by the Genographic Project and also have this DNA. I can trace my mother's line back to 1623.

10/9/2016 at 7:29 PM

That is about the same for me...Germany though my granny says we are Dutch.

11/1/2016 at 9:19 AM

Your mtDNA line was likely obtained from long membership in the North American colonial and American Anabaptist communities, i.e. Mennonite and Amish. Not far from San Antonio are famous German communities with roots from about 1850s where some folk still speak Texas German, which is different than Pennsylvania Dutch. They likely were attracted there by Anabaptists that earlier moved there and started farming and communicated that to the Anabaptist churches in Germany.

Having very early colonial American ancestors from 1610 - 1700 usually means you'll have small percentages of Amerindian and even less sub-Saharan autosomal DNA, presuming you are classified by the government was caucasoid in these current generations.

In my own research I ask my maternal Grandmother and my maternal Grandmother's people, as she called them, were from Mennonites and that she was part 'injun' and they came from Holland. I could traced them back to Bucks Co, Pennsylvania between 1650 - 1700 is what I am sure of what I found. It took mtDNA and autosomal DNA to notice the connection to Anabaptist surnames and New Sweden, Finland, Sweden, and to a lesser extent Germany as there is no maternal lineage paper trail to those times. Even the traditional paternal paper trails are completely spotty and dubious a lot of times.

I'm finding many oral histories that some people scoff at are in fact true if you know the context and the history those oral histories belong to. The most famous one 'being part Cherokee Indian' but there are many other scoffed at stories too. I was lucky in that two of my mom's cousins wrote books about the settlement of their home counties that they gave her as gifts as they conducted oral interviews with many people that have since passed. As it turns out those interviews are being mostly confirmed as true via DNA testing nowadays. As a hobby genealogy has grown so much from my start at it in 1996. Then there were very few hobbyists and research meant traveling to big city libraries that would have census microfilm and trips to county court houses often finding that most of the paperwork from old days was gone.

So the Anabaptist communities are for sure associated with Switzerland and Germany and my Grandma Tanna Day Farley's people were from Mennonites and apparently came over as Mennonite or joined not long after coming over to the US. However, her mtDNA is most closely associated with Finland and Sweden and New Sweden was a colony near Bucks Co, Pennsylvania at the same time my maternal Grandmother's people came there. My Granny Farley would sometimes say she was Dutch and sometimes German. She said her father and his siblings still spoke German but I never met them. Just to make it complicated there are known cases of this mtDNA in Germany and in Scotland that are missing the insertion 386C. Today, a Swede named Tommy Thuvesson that I think created this group is the first person in Europe besides the Swiss man that is an exact match to me to be in Europe. I looked at Tommy's tree and he has no American ancestors. The man from Switzerland never responded to my inquiries about his Ancestor so I don't know if he has American ancestry. It is common for modern Swiss to have international ancestry because of the banking industry. It was also common for people in the Anabaptist communities to move back to Germany or Switzerland.

So that information means our maternal ancestry is most likely a woman that came over to colonial America during the settlement of New Sweden but I have not completely ruled out the possibility that the lady we inherited mtDNA from came over with the Anabaptists from Switzerland or Germany, also about the same time as New Sweden was being settled. My Granny Tanna Farley did say that her people came over on a boat from the Netherlands but Amsterdam was sort of like New York then, a through port to go to other places.

Personally I can only trace back to Kissiah 'Kizzy' Blevins / Goodman / Madden born about 1790 in Virginia or North Carolina, more likely in the mountains of what is now northeast Tennessee. It would be nice to identify the woman from New Sweden she likely descended from though as it would be maybe possible to trace her descendants forward to Kizzy Madden via Anabaptist church records if they exist although I recognize the chances of that are very slim to have those records.

I am GRKQ4 on mitosearch.org and here is a map that I made from that data that needs updating.

https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?mid=1erc4cOpRyX0aL_QzIBmLObhfKnc

Have fun.

Ciao

11/14/2016 at 2:57 AM

Hi All, I have just been tested by National Genographic and also have H1-T16189C! . I have no family connections with the US that I know of and it seems all my family have been in the UK for many generations. So far, I have only traced my maternal line back to Mary Ann Hockey of Somerset (1821-1891) but am hoping to make progress on this in the next year. Would love to find out more about this haplogroup if anyone has any more information. All the best,

James

1/24/2017 at 5:02 AM

I am from Sweden and have also H1-T16189C! .
I have make mtdna full , ff and Y-dna. (familytreedna)
My oldest known fem (Mtdna line is Karina Olasdotter b 1766 i Oderljunga , Skåne, Sweden.
I have my most matches in England,Scotland,Ireland Finland, and USA
I am also on Gedmatch .an my kit : T726536.
I hope to find connections
Tommy

2/15/2017 at 7:00 PM

OK, interesting, 13 years after I took this mtDNA test people with H1-T16189C! are showing up in Sweden, Finland, and England too.

All my matches that have USA connection have said they have ancestors associated with the Mennonite communitites (German Christian church that migrates often to form communities of new farms)

And that is all I know as so far I am the one with the earliest born maternal mtDNA ancestor so that's not to far back...and no membership roles from any churches found so far with these mtDNA women ancestors.

5/27/2017 at 7:29 PM

Wow, Hello Cousins!

I found out today I am H1-T16189C. My most distant relative came from Pomerania an was born in 1833 in a small village called Lipplow, near to Lauenburg (now Lebork, Poland). Her name was Caroline Amalie Schmalz, and came with her husband and a couple of children to the US in 1871. Her Father's name was Johann and her mother unknown. They were Lutherans, as far as I know, they had nothing to do with the Mennonites.

5/28/2017 at 8:27 PM

The 'unknown mother' was likely Swedish or descended from those that migrated from Sweden when Pomerania was part of Sweden in the same way as my maternal ancestor migrated from Sweden or Finland when New Sweden was part of Sweden.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Swedish_Pomerania

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_Sweden

Apparently at least one of the women that migrated from Sweden to New Sweden in the 1600s joined the Amish/Mennonite church for many generations of descendants which is how I wound up with that mtDNA.

5/29/2017 at 8:11 AM

I figured she was Swedish Pomeranian. My atDNA puts me heavily in Sweden and Finland. They were German-speakers and heavily Lutheran, and the family genealogically is scattered along the Hanseatic towns of the Baltic for about 200 years. I think this is utterly fascinating, and wish I understood more about it. I got an ebook yesterday explaining all the parts of genealogical DNA. I wish I knew more about Amalie's mother and I would love to eventually find a relative descended from one of her sibling who did not emigrate and see what happened to the family left behind (and what would have happened to Amelia and my great grandmother Johanna if they hadn't decided to emigrate). It appears my family emigrated because they were dirt poor and unable to make a living. Likely the more stable siblings/cousins who stayed behind were more established and successful.

5/29/2017 at 8:19 AM

One thing I'm curious about: what is the difference in haplogroup H1h and H1-T16189C! ? Another company gave my haplo as H1h.

Private User
3/23/2018 at 1:16 AM

Hi all,
I just got my results back from Family Tree DNA, and found out that my haplogroup is H1-T16189C!. So I decided to join this conversation out of interest. I'm from Finland, and my earliest known maternal line ancestor was Margeta Carlsdotter from Kauhava, Finland. She was born in 1706 and died on 1786.
According to the other results I got from FTDNA (the estimate of my ethnicity), I'm 92% Finnish and 7% South-East European. But I'm not sure at all where that 7% comes from, because all of my ancestors that I've been able to trace, were born in Finland (I'm aware that the results may not be 100% reliable). A part of my family (who lived in Southern Osthrobothnia, Finland) used to be quite dark (dark hair, slightly darker skin compared to the majority of Finns), so there may be some truth that some of my genes may in fact come from South-East Europe.

3/23/2018 at 2:46 AM

I have many matches in Finland from 1-3 ged. i have also matches in the baltic area, Russia .,England,scotland,ireland
I have how i will be connected whit them yet..

11/11/2019 at 3:33 PM

Merjaana Ruohonen, have you never seen a map of europe , roflmao, You can be from the botder of finland

11/12/2019 at 3:19 AM

I am in familytreedna projekt Also, myheritage,gedmatch. I Will show a map of My Mtdna matches

Private User
5/22/2020 at 2:28 PM

@Girl 3 HANSEN
My sister's haplogroup is H1k, according to 23andMe (so that would also be my own, as we are established as full sisters). FamilyTreeDNA puts this H1k group under H1-T16189C!. In reading the messages here, I see that some people are mentioning Germany and South-East Europe. That's where my mother's line comes from: Germans living Bohemia (present-day Czech Republic or Czechia or whatever it is called now). One company (MyHeritage) says I have 11% Balkan ancestry (which is southeastern Europe), and Gedmatch also has some from that general area, as did Ancestry before they updated their DNA results a while back.

Honestly, though, I don't understand why the mtDNA results don't show the same information. There is the same problem with my father's line and the Y haplogroup, where different websites, including internet searches, make it hard to find out things about I-F2642. For my mother's line, I cannot find ANYBODY else who has H1k for their maternal haplogroup... except for my nephews on 23andMe, who, of course, are my sister's sons.

Basically, I'm confused as to what's going on and, apparently, how this works. Thought it would be simply. I was wrong!

7/10/2020 at 3:44 AM

are you royal descent , because i descend from the royal house of Bohemia, and lets face it royals are rarely very native to the region , lol , i know its not free but try mytrueancestry , its an amazing sight for tracing your royal ancestry and my relations are all royal descent

8/23/2020 at 6:50 AM

The ethnicity percentages ay MyHeritage.com (Geni.com) are the way they decided to explain my ethnicity historically since in those long ago days all these modern day counties did not exist.

Example: MyHeritage.com says that I am:
Europe 100.0%

North and West Europe 97.2%
English 97.2%

South Europe 2.8%
Greek and South Italian 2.8%

However, I already know from other genetic testing sites and GEDMatch in particular I have about 2% Native American DNA.

So since this ethnicity estimates are somewhat arbitrary and dependant of the historical period they used to devise them I am guessing the 2.8 Greek & South Italian that MyHeritage.com assigns to my is actually part of the Proto-Indo European cultural expansion of if the steppes around the Caspian & Black Seas over 10s of 1000s of year.

Merjaana Ruohonen all the light hair and light eyes you say if majority in Finland is likely only because of that 7% Southeast European because that 7% Southeast European is likely a reflection of shared prior ancestry you and they have with an older Proto-European ancestry that expanded out of the steppes around the Caspian & Black Seas 10s of 1000s of years ago.

To get a general ideal where those small percentages original from do a search for the R1B Y-DNA haplogroup commonness distribution map or distribution map for the commonness of red hair in the world. They are similar but not identical to the Proto-Indo European expansions of long ago when you look at their expansion.

Private User
10/27/2020 at 12:48 PM

My earliest known maternal line ancestor was born in 1785 in Åbol, Sweden. My maternal grandmother was born in Norway. Her mother was from Färgelanda in Sweden.

Private User
9/13/2021 at 7:49 PM

im thus what does it mean

Showing all 20 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion