Lady Grizel Stuart - Inconsistency With Year of Birth

Started by Private User on Friday, February 24, 2017
Problem with this page?

Participants:

Profiles Mentioned:

Showing all 9 posts
Private User
2/24/2017 at 8:26 PM

Grizels birth year is listed as circa 1618, which would be out by almost 30yrs, assuming her mothers details are correct.

Her mother, Elizabeth Stewart Countess of Moray, has details of death noted as Nov 18 1591, so Grizel must have been born before or by 1591.

This would also fit in much better with the timeline of the birth of her son, Sir Robert Innes of the Ilk, who is listed as being born circa 1619.

2/25/2017 at 1:51 AM

All of her siblings seem to have been born in the late 1500's.

2/25/2017 at 4:11 AM

Dear Daniel
I have Elizabeth's dob as late 1565
This would be consistent with the marriage of James and Lady Agnes Keith in 1561

Sincerely

2/25/2017 at 5:30 AM

Daniel---

I'm carrying a birth year of 1584 in Elgin, Morayshire, Scotland.

Private User
2/25/2017 at 6:39 AM

Hello All and thank you all for your responses.
I'm glad to hear that each of your input agrees with her year of birth being more consistent with the timeline, but I am curious as to where you have sourced your information on birth year, Nathan?

I can see her Mother, Elizabeth Stewart, has a fairly specific birth date defined as August 1565 as stated on her profile.

Thanks once again.

2/26/2017 at 7:29 AM

I think it is very possible that someone wrote 1618 as Grizel's date of birth because they confused her with a supposed daughter of her brother James' 3rd Earl of Moray. Ancestry.com has a child called Grizel born to James and his wife Ann Gordon in 1618. Without references.

2/26/2017 at 10:11 AM

I can see this needs tidying up. So on 23 January 1581, her mother Elizabeth married James Stewart, son of the first Lord Doune, and they had five children. Elizabeth died 18th November 1591

A contract for the marriage of Lady Grizel Stuart and Rt. Hon. Sir Robert Innes of that Ilk, 1st Bt. was signed on 18 December 1611.
Source Burke's Peerage 2003 edition Volume 2, page 2769.

I looked up Ancestry.com and it appears to be 1584 as her date of birth and her place of birth as Darnaway Castle, Dyke, Morayshire, Scotland. So i am going to change that now. i will go into Scot's peerage for more precise info and add it very soon. It has been a few months since I had the time to look at this.
I never included a date of birth when i first created her profile so I am not sure who wrote 1618. It proves that regular checks are necessary.

Importantly I noticed that someone had added David Broadfoot has Grizel's second husband. Records showed no second husband and David's timeline is completely at odds with Grizel's. i have asked the site managers for David broadfoot to delete the link.

regards

Stephen

Private User
2/27/2017 at 6:16 PM

Hi Stephen, thanks for clarifying that and making the adjustments.
Cheers
Daniel

2/28/2017 at 2:16 PM

my pleasure!

Showing all 9 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion