General Register Office (GRO) - births and deaths indexes

Started by Private User on Tuesday, March 14, 2017
Problem with this page?

Participants:

Showing all 11 posts
Private User
3/14/2017 at 1:04 AM

The GRO for England and Wales has added two searchable indexes ar www.gro.gov/gro/content/certificates
These indexes are amazing in that for borths the mother's maiden name is included for the complete 1837 - 1915 (births) and the age added for deaths 1837-1957. This is an amazing improvement as other indexes (FreeBMD and Ancestry) have mother's maden name only from 1911. Ages are only given for deaths from 1867 on http://www.freebmd.org.uk/cgi/search.pl. Go find answers to those brickwalls!!!!

3/14/2017 at 10:51 AM

Top tip, June!

3/14/2017 at 11:57 AM

Thank you, June!

3/14/2017 at 4:56 PM

Thanks June! My new go to for British BMD indexes.

3/14/2017 at 7:22 PM

Private User
I can't seem to open that site

3/14/2017 at 7:35 PM

GRO historic birth and death indexes are now available online via our certificate ordering site. Having traced a record, you are also able to directly order a certificate, for which index details will automatically be carried forward into your order.

If you are using the site for the first time you will need to complete the registration process. You will only need to go through this process the first time you use the system. Once registered your details will be stored for future reference and you will be asked to confirm the information is correct when making an application.

https://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/certificates/Login.asp

3/14/2017 at 11:29 PM

Thanks

3/15/2017 at 9:25 AM

Angus, sorry I was meaning to point out that Junes link needs the .uk part of the URL. Too busy nosing through the results!

3/15/2017 at 9:27 AM

Oh and I notice they are trailing sending out PDFs of certificates - the Irish system sends out a cheaper scan for research purposes and this looks similar, which will save a lot of money as I often have to go fishing amongst people of similar names.

6/18/2021 at 5:02 AM

Wouldnt no where to start with irish related people trying to stay away from Scottish end as some folks have made it clear that wr are not very welcome

Showing all 11 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion