Adam Shapic - Adam Shapic

Started by John Edward Bennett on Tuesday, May 9, 2017
Problem with this page?

Participants:

Profiles Mentioned:

Showing all 2 posts
5/9/2017 at 11:27 AM

Adam Shapic came to America on a boat from Trieste, Croatia in 1910 to seek his fortune in the "New Country". Upon arriving in New York all were examined for diseases and were put on trains going to different destinations of this country. Adam's destination was Virginia, Minnesota where he stayed with relatives. There was a big demand for miners and Adam had no trouble finding a job. With the money he saved he sent for his sweetheart Marie Theresa from Croatia. They were both born in Kuterva, Yugoslavia and were married in 1911. They moved to Buhl, Minnesota. He worked very hard and the bosses were very demanding. He worked underground and used dynamite to dislodge the iron ore. When one mine closed, he found work in another mine. One day he slipped from a ladder at the Leonidas underground mine and he fell causing extensive damage to his arm, teeth and head. The mine bosses came to his house the next day convincing him to return to work, but Adams injuries were so bad that an attorney by the name of Greenburg from Eveleth was hired. As it turned out the same Doctors that treated Adam also worked in the hospital owned by the mining company and testified that Adam's paralysis of his whole body was cause by the 1919 influenza epidemic. Adam never received any compensation for his injuries from the mining company. Through his insurance he received $80 a month and the family lived on that for many years plus what they planted and animals they raised for food. The miners had one strike in Virginia and they tried to unionize the mines but failed. Sometimes Adam only worked 10 days a month, but later became paralyzed requiring constant care. Grandmother took care of Adam until his death in 1940. They both lived in Buhl the rest of their lives and had 4 daughters and 1 son [Katherine, Marion, Louise Ann, Rose, Richard]. Thank you, John Bennett, Grandson.

Private User
11/8/2018 at 6:54 AM

It is probably Kuterevo - place in Lika (http://visit-lika.com/en/page/kuterevo-bear-sanctuary)
You can find a lot of Croatian records online https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:3QSQ-G99X-X38G?owc=9RKB...

Showing all 2 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion