Mary EDWARDS - Mary Edwards

Started by Charles Brittain on Sunday, June 11, 2017
Problem with this page?

Participants:

Profiles Mentioned:

6/11/2017 at 1:46 PM

Mary in Thomas will was married to a Britton. Will doesn't give first name of Mary's husband. There is little known about Mary in any of the Edwards genealogy that I have seen. I and several of my relatives believe she married John Britton. Below is further evidence.

JOHN B. BRITTON'S WIFE MARY – more evidence she was an Edwards 12-10-12
updated 2-5-17

Mary Britton was born September 23, 1770 (from son's family bible).

Thomas Edwards will is dated November 6, 1790. In this will he left his daughter Mary (whom we believe was John B's wife, Mary Edwards Britton) a negro named Hanna.

In the 1840 Macon Telegraph newspaper, a fi fa on John Britton's estate in butts County, GA (John died October 1, 1838) listed a negro named Hanna, 55 years old. That means Hannah was born in 1785, or 5 years before Thomas' will was written. Mary Edwards (Britton?) would have been 20 years old since she was born September 23, 1770. Easter was 34 in the 1840 fi fa.

The 1830 census for Butts County lists John Britton with two female slaves: one being between 24 and 36 years old and one between 36 and 55. Easter would have been 24 years old which matches. Hannah would have been 45 which also matches.

Interestingly, Thomas Edwards left his daughter Hannah Scogins, a negro named Easter. In the 1840 fi fa, the ad lists a negro named Easter, aged 34. This can't be the same Easter as in Thomas Edwards will, but could it be a relative? Coincidence? Hannah moved to Oglethorpe, GA along with other Edwards and Briitains (Brittons).

Found Thomas Edwards, Sr and Jr.'s ancestry. Lists Thomas Edwards, Jr.'s daughter as marrying Henry Britton. There is little known about Mary in various Edwards trees – so, as often happens, someone may have gotten her husband's name wrong.

Thomas Edwards son, William, married Elizabeth Brittain, daughter of George Brittain, John B's brother. They moved to Oglethorpe, GA where both John and brother George moved, as well as several of the Edwards family.

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion