FamilySearch.org soon to require login for records search

Started by Andy Feldman on Wednesday, November 29, 2017
Problem with this page?

Participants:

Showing all 16 posts
11/29/2017 at 10:26 AM

I've been using links uploaded from FamilySearch.org as source documents here on geni. This won't work after FamilySearch begins to enforce the login requirement. Is it possible geni could make a deal with them to be whitelisted from this requirement?

11/29/2017 at 12:09 PM

Thanks for the link Randy Stebbing. Good read. I'm not concerned about having to be logged in to search for records manually, but I think the need to login will prevent us from being able to attach sources to profiles using the "Post a New Link" option because geni visits the URL and takes a screenshot of the page. Is geni being updated to login if the URL is on familysearch.org? Right now if you upload a document in this way, the image of the page includes the warning that login will soon be requiredd.

11/30/2017 at 9:27 AM

I'll need to look into this some more. While it doesn't overcome the post a new link issue you are reporting I just wanted to make sure that you also know about the "Smart Copy" as an alternative way of getting data between other sights including familysearch and geni.

In the meantime I'll look into the post a link workflow myself.

11/30/2017 at 9:29 AM

Here's a link to the smart copy project:

https://www.geni.com/projects/SmartCopy/18783

11/30/2017 at 7:28 PM

Ok I tested the "post a new link" source workflow on geni and after attaching a source I clicked on the "visit url" link on geni to view the source on familysearch. This of course works and is the current workflow.

My understanding is that when doing so after December 13th, which is the date the new policy starts, that upon clicking on any url linking to familiysearch that famillysearch will automatically prompt the user to login and after the login succeeds it will then proceed to view the url that the user clicked on while on geni.

Private User
11/30/2017 at 9:01 PM

For folks logged in to Ancestry, when they "create a Document" it does NOT actually create a document of what folks were looking at. Not sure folks look to see what their 'Document' looks like, but there are a bunch out there that are basically garbage.

My guess is that Andy is totally correct - once the login is required, it will be necessary to download the document familysearch, and then upload it, as one must do from Ancestry if one wants a geni-document others can actually use!

12/2/2017 at 8:11 AM

Well we'll have to wait until the change over is made in 2 weeks to find out.

12/2/2017 at 1:25 PM

Thanks for looking into this. Some sources on FamilySearch are not downloadable; they are index references to a source that is not available digitally. For downloadable documents, we can do as Lois suggests--download the source from FamilySearch and upload it to geni.

12/13/2017 at 7:58 AM

Andy Feldman Can you try this today to see if your previous workflow still works?

12/13/2017 at 8:42 AM
2/20/2018 at 2:51 PM

is there any reason why geni.com makes images from sites?
i would invite possibility to reference to external sources, like familysearch indexes or, in my case, west-bohemian archives using iip protocol

Private User
2/20/2018 at 4:46 PM

Georg Kastner - links change all the time. Sometimes the link no longer works. Sometimes the info at it changes.

By creating a Document of the images of the sites, THEY STAY!! And you can look and see what had been seen.

Copying the info is open to typos - [and if nobody can check, to the unscrupulous as well]
With the Document Geni creates, folks can look to make sure no typos, and do they agree on the interpretation of handwriting, etc. [or, they may have to look period, if no one copies the info from it anyplace else in the Profile]

2/21/2018 at 1:23 AM

Private User i understand that. but familysearch ? those links (results of indexes) do not change. what else, even it is not hard to get original image from familysearch, org even without registering not sure whether it is 'kosher' to put their content (image) on geni.com (even it is non-commercial)

Private User
2/21/2018 at 9:09 AM

Georg Kastner - don't know if FamilySearch links will change in the future - they (or at least some) have changed during the past several years.
And - now that FamilySearch requires one to log in - Geni will NOT create an image of it - so probably no need to agonize over is Geni doing right by FamilySearch via its Create a Document function
-- instead perhaps agonize over whether what SmartCopy does vis a vis FamilySearch is truly 'kosher'??

2/21/2018 at 11:18 AM

if there will be official way to link FS indexed records, trees - usig their api, if something like this happen, it should be fixable in batch as part of renaming on fs side. i see on apps lot of web/desktop applications, myheritage between, so geni should be covered as well.
btw, if you have link to original document from indexed record, just replace '?...' with '.jpg' and you get full size jpg i tried it with wget and worked without any auth, cookies whatever :)

Showing all 16 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion