Sarah Standish (Alden) - Sarah Alden Standish

Started by Larry W Mayes on Wednesday, December 13, 2017
Showing all 4 posts
12/13/2017 at 12:38 PM

Had I known on any visit to Plymouth/Duxbury, I would have searched for a headstone to photograph. I did photograph the cannons and the John and Priscilla Alden headstones. I also covered most of the headstones in 9 other Plymouth County cemeteries and one in Dedham for Abraham and Bridget Shaw, but theirs could be found.

12/13/2017 at 2:53 PM

Hi Larry,

Do you know which cemetery to find the head stone for @Sarah Standish (Alden) you are looking for. I would gladly take a pic for you.

Jim

12/14/2017 at 11:59 AM

Sarah would be a nice addition to my tree, but not one I was looking for. It looked like I could have helped someone else out. Finding that my first two generations of Byrams are buried in East Bridgewater, but have no headstones may actually be their fate. Could be the same for Sarah as well. I just hopt that poart is not true! I was near exhaustion with a seminar and 11 cemeteries in 4 days and had never considered a Standish connection. I used Findagrave.com prior to my last trip to the county. Then they changed the website and have not really explored it much. Having some genealogy classes schedule disrupted this fall and the Findagrave almost unmanageable, I kind of lost enthusiasm. Trying to get it back.

There are a number of cemeteries where Sarah may be buried. The smaller Miles Standish Burying Ground where the Aldens and Standish are may be a good start, The Mayflower with some 11K graves does have Byrams and Aldens in it. I only had the endurance to cover about 20-25% of the Mayflower as I used water to scrub lichen, dirt and mud from perhaps 50 or so headstones. Couldn't find good leverage or position. I sometime stood up, but bent over some stones. At nearly 70 practically unside down not a favorite. Weathered headstones also made it difficult. I live about 180 miles from Plymouth and hope to another trip. I am more focused on the Byrams I discovered in Gardiner, Maine abut 32 miles from me. Snow covers that cemetery, but I will find that Ebenezer if God allows me to. Merry Christmas!

12/30/2017 at 2:03 PM

Happy New Year Jim! With elections and special elections I was unable to find anything on the Ebenezer Byram in Gardiner ME. Now, with even more snow must wait for spring.

Sorry that I didn't thank you for the offer to take some photos, but there seems to be nothing I am aware of that needs any photos at this point. I do need to add Anna Keith Alden's headstone photo to the site. Nothing legible on her marker as the elements have played havoc on most headstones in the Old Grave Yard in East Bridgewater. As for Nicholas Byram, his wife Susannah Shaw, their son Nicholas II and wife Mary, any markers are gone. Findagrave states there is no headstone for any of them. Perhaps there were wooden markers at one time.

I photographed several headstones in the Miles Standish Burying ground. Just too busy to sort through them. I spoke to a volunteer in Dedham about Abraham Shaw and Elizabeth Best in the Old Village Cemetery and he does not recall their graves. The latest edition of Findagrave states that they were buried in unmarked graves in the older section.

Best to you and yours in 2018!

Larry

Showing all 4 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion