Mary the wife of Thomas 1 Hanson of Dover her maiden named Paul? The Paul Theory is Bogus!!!

Started by Roland Henry Baker, III on Monday, August 13, 2018
Problem with this page?

Participants:

Profiles Mentioned:

8/13/2018 at 4:06 PM

I always wondered how it was known that the maiden name of Mary wife of the immigrant Thomas1 Hason of Dover who died 1666 was Paul:

Mary Hanson

Thomas Hanson, Sr

Presumed dau of Daniel1 Paul and Elizabeth Lever
Daniel Paul

So I read everything on the family. It turns out the whole theory started with Stackpole author of old Old Kittery and her families based on this one article:

J R Hutchinson, Some notable depositions from the high court of admiralty, in The New York Genealogical and Biographical Record. (New York, New York: New York Genealogical and Biographical Society), 47:332-33.

Now here is the link:

https://babel.hathitrust.org/cgi/pt?id=hvd.32044098880677;view=1up;...

The key bits:

This deposition of Thomas Harrison of Redriffe, Surrey, mariner age 50 7 Mar 1636/7 that his son Thomas Harrison is to go master of the "Success" of London set to Prussia and if he can not go his brother-in-law Daniel Paule of Ipswich, shipwright and mariner is to go master. He was probably associate with the Kittery mast trade. The author dicusses Lechford 293 see below.

Note Stackpole author of old Old Kittery and her families made a big deal about this entry because he supposed that this showed that Daniel Paul of New England was son-in-law of Thomas Hanson of Dover i.e. either Thomas Hanson's wife was Mary Paul or Daniel Paul's wife was Elizabeth Hanson. We now know that Daniel Paul's was Elizabeth Lever. But is Thomas Hanson, quaker, Constable & Highway Surveyor of Dover a land lover the same as Thomas Harrison a master mariner? I just don't get how you could conflate this Harrison with Hanson. This evidence for the maiden name for the wife of Thomas Hanson is beyond weak in my opinion and GDMNH doesn't even bother to mention it. This is the only source for the proposition that Thomas Hanson's wife was Mary Paul and it has been repeated ad nauseam. It is probably time for this theory to be put to rest.

Is anyone else buying this? I sure hope not good grief!

Now Daniel Paul certainly was the mariner mentioned see:

Lechford, Thomas, and James Hammond Trumbull. Note-book kept by Thomas Lechford, Esq.,: lawyer in Boston, Massachusetts Bay, from June 27, 1638 to July 29, 1641. (Cambridge [Massachusetts]: John Wilson and Son, 1885), 293.
Daniel Paul late of Ipsw., Eng. (Now of New England), he sent back power of attorney to sell his lands and deliv. the money to wife Elizabeth in England.

And Note Walter Goodwin Davis doesn't buy that Daniel Paul had a daughter Mary Paul.

Daniel Paul, in Noyes, Sybil; Charles Thornton Libby; and Walter Goodwin Davis. Genealogical Dictionary of Maine and New Hampshire. (Portland, Maine: Southworth Press, 1928-1939).
PAUL. Daniel, bp. at St. Clement’s, Ipswich, co. Suff., 24 Feb. 1590-1, m. there 9 Feb. 1617 Elizabeth Lever, bp. 30 Nov. 1590 in same par., where a dau. Thomasine was bp. 16 June 1624.DANIEL, mariner, shipwright, Kittery. From Boston 26 Aug. 1640, late of Ipsw., Eng., he sent back p/a to sell his lands and deliv. the money to w. Elizabeth. He and Bartholomew Smith bot on Long Reach from John Andrews 21 Mar. 1647-8; in 1649 he bot from Rich. Cutts ho. and land adj. his own, form. Stephen Sanborn’s. Gr.j. 1650, 1651. Grants 1653, 1665. Lists 282, 284, 298, 323, 326a. His w. Elizabeth was liv. in Oct. 1659 when he gave a mtg. to Cutts. On July 18, 1668, with no ment. of her he deeded all aft. he died to s. Stephen, except 15 a. given to Jos. Alcock; alive 22 Aug. 1672. Children he deeded all aft. he died to s. Stephen, except 15 a. given to Jos. Alcock; alive 22 Aug. 1672. ; alive 22 Aug. 1672. Ch. here, poss. others in Eng.

Children:

1. Abigail, m. 1st Joseph Alcock (3), m. 2d Robert Rowsley.

2. STEPHEN (1)

3. Thomasine

Yes no Mary.

And for Thomas Hanson?

Thomas Hanson, in Noyes, Sybil; Charles Thornton Libby; and Walter Goodwin Davis. Genealogical Dictionary of Maine and New Hampshire. (Portland, Maine: Southworth Press, 1928-1939).
Hanson: 6 THOMAS, Dover 1657, had 100 a. gr. near Salmon F. 11 Jan. 1658-9 and bot from Wm. Hackett and Capt. Barefoot. Freeman 5 June 1661. If not a Quaker hims., the founder of a fam. of Quakers. Constable; Highway Surveyor. Lists 356abcegh, 47. Will (undated) proved 27 June 1666, names w. Mary [note no maiden name], 6 ch. She was abs. from meet. 1663; k. by Ind. ‘old wid. Hand-son’ 28 June 1689. Lists 356jk, 359ab, 96. Ch:

1 Tobias, oldest son, prob. of age 1662.
2 Thomas.
3 Isaac.
4 Timothy.

Two daus. under age by will:
5 one Elizabeth, m. John Hance;
6 the other poss. Mary.

Nothing but the name "Mary" can be seen in his will:

Thomas Hanson, in Hammond, Otis Grant; Henry Harrison Metcalf; and Albert Stillman Batchellor (eds.). Probate Records of the Province of New Hampshire. (New Hampshire: The State [et al], 1907–1941), Vol. 31, Page 85-6.
link

Thomas Hanson died testate in Cocheco, (Dover), NH, in 1666. Capt. Richard Waldren proved his undated will on 27 June 1666. He mentioned his wife Mary, two unnamed daughters under 18, son Tobias to have two grants from the Town of Dover, son Thomas to have land bought of Capt. Barefoot, and two youngest sons, Isaac and Timothy, not of age. His will, in full, was published in Volume 1 of Probate Records of the Province of New Hampshire in 1907, and is as follows:

These presents wittnesse that I Thomas Hanson Being in perffect mind & memory though weak in Body doe make this my Last Will & testament, First I Bequeath my soul to God that gave itt & my body to ye Earth to bee decently Buried. My Will is thatt affter my debts are paid with my funerall Charge I doe give To my Loving Wife (duering her Naturall liffe or soe long as shee keeps herselfe a Widdow) all My housing with the Improved Ground thereunto Belonging at Cutcheco with all my Cattell and moveables withall my . . . . stuffe, she paying to my two daughters when they Come to the age off eighteen years old twenty pound a peece. But in case shee shall marry again then my will is that she shall have Butt one third off houses & improved Lands with all moveables and the other two thirds I give to my son’ Tobias with all ye Rest off that Threscore acres off Land lying in Com’on & nott improved given mee in two grants ffrom ye Town one off fforty acres another off twenty acres all which affter my decease I Give to my son’ Tobias, except whatt is Beffore given to my wife. Likewise I Give to my son’ Thomas thatt thirty acres off Land I Bought off William Hackett & thatt fifty [acres?] off Land thatt I Bought off Capt Bearffoott with ffive pounds in Cattell. Also I Give to my two youngest son’s Isaac & Timothy ten’ pounds a peece When they Come off age with thatt six score acres of land Granted my By ye town & laid outt to mee Between ffresh Creek and Nechowoneck River Be equaly devided Between them and doe apoint my Loving Wiffe Mary Hanson my soule Exequetrix to see all this my Last will to Be perfformed and to pay outt all these Legacies when my Children Come off age: outt off ye Chattells and if there is more in any Goods or Chattels or any bils Bonds or amounts due to mee ffrom any man affter my debts are paid and all ye abovesd Legacies I Give & Bequeatth to my Wife with third off houses & lands to Bestow upon any off her Children that shall Be most Obedient as shee shall see Cause. In Witnesse heroff I have putt to my hand & seale

Signed seleid and deliverd I Thomas hanson (seal)

in the presence of us

Richard Walderne

Samuell hale

And while we're at it as far as the ancestry of Thomas Hanson:

Foster, Joseph. Pedigrees of the county families of Yorkshire. (London: W. Wilfred Head, 1874), 155.
Does any serious genealogist believe this pedigree has anything to do with Thomas Hanson of Dover?

https://archive.org/stream/pedigreesofcount02fost#page/n153

Which is perhaps why not one but two inquiries were published looking for proof that Thomas Hanson of Dover had anything remotely to do with Foster's pedigree:

Query, in The New England Historical and Genealogical Register. (Boston: New England Historic Genealogical Society), 38:313, 1907.

Query, in The New York Genealogical and Biographical Record. (New York, New York: New York Genealogical and Biographical Society), 1907.

And the sound of cricket's chirping...

Fade to black.

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion