Sir Hugh Fenne, Treasurer to the Household - HughFenne

Started by Emily C. Volz on Wednesday, March 6, 2019
Problem with this page?

Participants:

Profiles Mentioned:

Showing all 8 posts
3/6/2019 at 12:17 PM

It's confusing but I do not believe that Hugh Fenne is not likely to be a son of Sir Roger Fiennes. The "...Visitations of Sussex..." shows he was connected to the Fenner family at the time the name was known as "at Fenne". Margaret Fenne, the daughter of this Hugh Fenne, married into the Neville family, as shown in the profile.

In the 2009 book by Ranulph Fiennes, Mad Dogs and Englishmen, is as complete a family tree of the Fiennes as one is likely to find, and it does not show anyone named Hugh Fenne. It was culled by Ranulph Fiennes from the Fiennes family archives.

Private User
11/13/2019 at 4:37 AM

I don't believe he married his sister.

https://our-royal-titled-noble-and-commoner-ancestors.com/p742.htm#...

Hugh Fenne, Esq., Treasurer of the Household to King Henry VI, Escheator of Norfolk & Suffolk1,2,3,4,5,6
Last Edited 14 Jul 2013
M, #22278, d. circa 28 June 1476
Father Henry Fane b. c 1400
Mother Isabell Pershall b. c 1402
Hugh Fenne, Esq., Treasurer of the Household to King Henry VI, Escheator of Norfolk & Suffolk was born at of Sculton Burdeleys, Norfolk, England.2 He died circa 28 June 1476.
Family
Child
Margaret Fenne+2,3,4,5,6 b. 1444, d. 28 Sep 1485
Citations
[S6878] Unknown author, Ancestry of HRH Prince Charles by Gerald Paget; Plantagenet Ancestry of 17th Century Colonists, by David Faris, p. 212; Wallop Family, p. 587.
[S5] Douglas Richardson, Plantagenet Ancestry, p. 94.
[S16] Douglas Richardson, Magna Carta Ancestry, 2nd Edition, Vol. I, p. 168-169.
[S16] Douglas Richardson, Magna Carta Ancestry, 2nd Edition, Vol. II, p. 175-176.
[S4] Douglas Richardson, Royal Ancestry, Vol. I, p. 322.
[S4] Douglas Richardson, Royal Ancestry, Vol. II, p. 594.

and

http://thepeerage.com/p1424.htm#i14231

Sir Hugh Fenne1
M, #14231, d. 1476
Last Edited=7 Apr 2003
Sir Hugh Fenne was the son of Sir Hugh Fenne.2 He died in 1476.1
He held the office of Treasurer of the Household to King Henry VI.1 He lived at Braintree, Essex, EnglandG.1 He lived at Soulton Burdeleys, Norfolk, EnglandG.1
Child of Sir Hugh Fenne
Margaret Fenne+1 d. 28 Sep 1485
Citations
[S6] G.E. Cokayne; with Vicary Gibbs, H.A. Doubleday, Geoffrey H. White, Duncan Warrand and Lord Howard de Walden, editors, The Complete Peerage of England, Scotland, Ireland, Great Britain and the United Kingdom, Extant, Extinct or Dormant, new ed., 13 volumes in 14 (1910-1959; reprint in 6 volumes, Gloucester, U.K.: Alan Sutton Publishing, 2000), volume I, page 31. Hereinafter cited as The Complete Peerage.
[S1916] Tim Boyle, "re: Boyle Family," e-mail message to Darryl Roger Lundy, 16 September 2006. Hereinafter cited as "re: Boyle Family."

I believe the current parents indicate he married his sister are wrong.

11/23/2019 at 11:04 AM

I never said he married his own daughter. I said they were not part of the Fiennes family. Hugh Fenn had a daughter named Margaret who married into the Neville Family. This Hugh Fenn was the Treasurer of the Household of King Henry VI. "Sir Edward Neville (died 8 December 1538) was an English courtier. He was born at Abergavenny, Monmouthshire. He was the son of George Neville, 4th Baron Bergavenny and his wife Margaret, daughter of Hugh Fenn." No one named Fenn or Fenne was ever knighted according to 'The Knights of England; a Complete Record from the Earliest Time to the Present Day of the Knights of all the orders of chivalry in England, Scotland, and Ireland, and of knights bachelors',
by Wm. A. Shaw. Incorporating a complete list of knights bachelors dubbed in Ireland, compiled by G. D. Burtchaell.

"Sir Edward Neville (died 8 December 1538) was an English courtier. He was born at Abergavenny, Monmouthshire. He was the son of George Neville, 4th Baron Bergavenny and his wife Margaret, daughter of Hugh Fenn."

Private User
11/24/2019 at 2:32 AM

Eleanor Fenne (Fiennes (Fynes)) Hugh's wife parents are

Daughter of Sir Roger Dacre Fiennes (Fynes) and Elizabeth de Holland.
and

Hugh's Parents are Son of Sir Roger Fiennes and Elizabeth de Holand

That makes them look as if they are Brother and Sister

Eleanor Fenne

11/25/2019 at 9:10 PM

Hugh at Fenne was the son of Thomas at Fenne, not of Roger Fiennes. The surnames Fenn, Fenne and Fenner were part of a single extended family. Roger Fiennes was not part of this family, nor were other members of his family. Hugh's wife was named Eleanor, and his daughter was named Margaret. She married into the Neville family. There is a range of documentation of these people and events, but it is not easy to figure out every member. However, the Fiennes should be left out of it.

The Will of Hugh atte Fenne, 1476

Norwich, Norfolk Record Society
Edited By Roger Virgoe
ISBN: 0951160060
Family History Library, Salt Lake City, Utah
FHL Book 942.61 B4rs

"Hugh atte Fenne so styled himself in his will and the family normally used that form of the name, but he was quite frequently called simply 'Fenne' and both forms have been used in this introduction. The Fennes were a quite prolific Yarmouth and East Norfolk family, with, as was normal in the fifteenth century, a restricted number of Christian names and Hugh is not, therefore, easy to place precisely in the family pedigree: it seems probable, however, that he was the Hugh, son of Thomas atte Fenne, who was appointed her executor by his grandmother, Christian Savage, in 1442..."

Private User
11/26/2019 at 12:06 AM

Thank you! I found that very confusing.

11/26/2019 at 5:17 PM

I thought this battle was over, but apparently Hugh Fenne was re-inserted as a son Of Roger Fiennes. The books on Peerages and Knights, MPs and various county history are ignored, I guess.

11/26/2019 at 7:13 PM

I locked relationships.

Showing all 8 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion