Henry Seltzer - Info RE: Henry Seltzer/Selsor, a son and a grandson of Nicholas Seltzer- Some of it conflicting and still under debate

Started by Dana Ann Lasch on Sunday, September 8, 2019
Problem with this page?

Participants:

Profiles Mentioned:

9/8/2019 at 10:12 PM

Henry Selsor, 1792-1831, of Northern Liberties and Germantown, Pennsyvania

The biographical account is intended to distinguish between two Henry Selsors, who were contemporaries, and whose records are wrongly conflated in some family histories available on the Internet. The subject of this account is the Henry Selsor who was son of Henry Seltzer/Selsor of Gwynedd Township and Northern Liberties, and who is buried in Hood Cemetery (also known as Lower Germantown Burying Ground).

The known lineage of Henry Selsor begins with his immigrant grandfather Nicholas Seltzer, who was born in 1724. His gravestone in Boehm Cemetery, Blue Bell, PA, is inscribed "In/ Memory of/ Nicholas Seltzer /Who departed this life/ July 13 1795 aged 71/ years." He appears as “Nickolas Seltzer” in a list of arrivals at the port of Philadelphia in 1749, and as “Nicklaus Seltzer” on the “List of foreigners imported in the ship Edinburg, James Russel, Master, from Rotterdam, last from Portsmouth, England”, who took the oath of allegiance to the province of Pennsylvania on September 14, 1749. Nicholas’s will, written May 18, 1795, and probated October 20, 1795, names as executors his son Henry and his son-in-law Casper Schlatter, who had married Mary, daughter of Nicholas and Mary:

http://files.usgwarchives.net/pa/montgomery/wills/willbk1b.txt
SELTZER, NICHOLAS. Gwynedd.
May 18, 1795. October 20, 1795. 1.470
To wife Mary, use of farm, bed, bedding and maintenance. After wife's death, farm to be appraised; either to sons, or to be equally divided among them as they shall choose, they to pay valuation. Rem. of personalty to be sold and equally divided among children. To granddaughter Rachel, daughter of Bernard Beaver, 10 pds. when 18. Rem. to be equally divided among children, equally, except son John to have 10 pds. more than other sons, and daughters to have 20 pds. less than sons.
Execs: Son Henry, son in law Casper Slauter.
Wit: John Evans, Cadwallader Evans, Jr.

Nicholas’s son Henry Seltzer was born about 1755. This date is inferred from his age in the 1800 Census, where he is up to 45 years old, and from the birthdate of his brother John in 1754 (from his gravestone in Boehm’s Cemetery). I assume that the larger bequest to John suggests that John is the oldest brother. Nicholas, Henry, and John appear frequently as farmers in the tax records of Gwynedd Township from 1779 forward. Another brother, Abraham, is listed in Philadelphia as a pewterer, and later appears in Germantown records. Henry and John both appear in militia records of Philadelphia County (which then included Gwynedd Township). In mid-September 1781, Washington’s army had marched from New York through Philadelphia, perhaps passing through Gwynedd Township, en route to Yorktown to meet Cornwallis. The Philadelphia County militia called Henry Seltzer to duty in the 5th Battalion, 6th Company (Captain Philip Reed’s), in the second class. On October 2, Henry pled that “his circumstances would not admit him to turn out at present,” and he promised to go out when the next class was called. His plea was granted. Following the victory at Yorktown, I have found no further record of Henry Seltzer in the militia.

In 1784, Henry married Laetitia Thomas of Hatfield Township (Church record of the Indian Creek Reformed Church, Franconia Township, Mongtomery County 1753-1851, copied 1921; microfilmed by Genealogical Society of Utah, film no. 20347. Marriages by John Theobald Faber 1782-1786, pp. 124-125; p. 62 of typescript: "Apr. 17 1784, Henry Seltzer and Laetitia Thomas of Hatfield Township"). Henry Seltzer appears in the 1790 Census of Montgomery County, PA (no township given), in a household of one male under 16, one male over 16, 3 females. He appears in the tax list of Hatfield Township in 1793. In 1798, Henry Selser appears in Gwynedd Township as “occupant” of a property of 99 acres and a dwelling valued at 1386 dollars, of which the “reputed owner” is Widow Selser, presumably his mother Mary, who may be living elsewhere. He is also taxed in 1798 for land valued at 466 dollars, of which he is the owner. Henry Selser appears in the 1800 Census of Montgomery County, PA in Gwynedd Twp., in a household consisting of one male aged 26-45, one male aged 10-16, three males under 10; two females aged 26-45, and one female under 10.
By 1810, Henry has moved to the Northern Liberties, where he appears in the Census of Western Northern Liberties, Philadelphia, PA, in a household of one free white male over age 45, one female age 26-44. This female may be his second wife Elizabeth, named later in his will. He is also listed in the Philadelphia Directory for 1810, containing the names, trades & residence of the inhabitants of the City, Southwark & Northern Liberties, p. 248, as “Seltzer, Henry, carter, 4th above Brown.” He has given up farming, and gone into business. It should be noted that “carter” does not mean that he loaded and drove the wagons himself; occupations in these directories are understated compared to contemporary practice, and refer to the general type of business, not to the job description.

In the 1811 directory, p. 286, he appears as “Seltzer, Henry, gentleman, fourth above Brown.”He has given up both farming and carting, and is perhaps living on his accumulated wealth. For 1812, no directory exists. For 1813 (p. 371) and 1814 (p. 409), he is listed merely as “Seltzer, Henry, Fourth near Poplar lane.” He does not appear in the 1815 directory. In the court record of his will of 1815, he has been reassigned to his original social status of “yeoman,” a landed farmer.

Name: Henry Seltzer Residence: Northern Liberties, Philadelphia, PA Description: Decedent Date: 3 May 1815 Prove Date: 8 May 1815 Title: Yeoman, Sr. BookPage: 6:47 Remarks: Henry Seltzer, Sr. Northern Liberties. Phila. Yeoman. May 3, 1815. May 8, 1815. 6.47. To wife Elizabeth Seltzer. To son Henry. Executors to sell property, proceeds to my children. Execs: Brother-in-law Casper Schlatter, my son Henry.

Henry’s executors are his son Henry (the subject of the biographical sketch) and his brother-in-law Casper Schlatter, who was also the executor of Henry’s father Nicholas. Among the friends and relatives who attended the customary sale of the decedent’s goods are Abraham Seltzer, his brother; Elizabeth Seltzer (presumably his widow), and Philip Reed, the captain of Henry’s militia company in 1781.

When Casper Schlatter wrote his own will in 1834, he provided for “one share to the heirs of Henry Seltzer deceased, one share to the heirs of John Seltzer dec’d, one share to the heirs of Abraham Seltzer dec’d, one share to Rachel Prooner or to her heirs. One share I do hereby nominate constitute and appoint my nephew Pruner Testamentary Guardian to all such minor children belonging to the Seltzer family as if named during their minority.”

This language extends Schlatter’s concern beyond the generation of his brother-in-law Henry and Henry’s brothers John and Abraham, to all minor children of the Seltzers. This encompassing language was appropriate because by 1834 Schlatter knew that the Henry of this sketch, son and co-executor of Henry the elder, was also deceased, leaving minor children.

The birth date 1792 for Henry Selsor the younger comes from the records of Hood Cemetery. Those records are housed at the Germantown Historical Society, and have been put on line by Eugene Stackhouse at findagrave.com. Henry Selsor is buried in plot 6. The stone is no longer readable, but the cemetery records show the inscription to have been “Henry Selsor/Oct. 18, 1792/June 26, 1831/War of 1812.” The other grave in Plot 6 is that of Henry’s son, William Henry Selsor, whose stone is worn but still readable. In Eugene Stackhouse’s transcription on findagrave.com , the dates for William Henry are given as Oct. 16, 1818/April 7, 1858, and the name as “William M. Selsor”. However, photos and personal inspection confirm that the name is William H. Selsor. The original deed to plot 6 is in the possession of the descendants of Henry Selsor. It shows that “Henry Selsor of Germantown” purchased Plot 6 , ten feet in length, eight feet in breadth, for “the interment of himself, his heirs and assigns” on 27 June 1831. The verso of the deed shows that Edmund Bockius, for the corporation, transmitted the deed to Abraham B. Selsor (son of Henry and brother of William Henry Selsor).

On September 13, 1899, Abraham assigned the deed to Ridgway A. Selsor (son of William Henry Selsor). Henry Selsor appears on the muster roll of the Benevolent Blues, under the command of Major Samuel Shacks, commanded by Capt. Henry Read, from the Northern Liberties, dated from Camp Marcus Hook, October 18, 1814. (Muster Rolls of the Pennsylvania Volunteers in the War of 1812-1814, with Contemporary Papers and Documents (Pennsylvania Archives, Second Series, Vol. XII) by John B. Linn and Wm. H. Egle, Harrisburg, PA, 1880, pp. 389-391.)

Volunteer companies like the Benevolent Blues had been raised for the defense of Philadelphia under a new militia act of 1814 that permitted companies to adopt their own uniforms, and they were promoted by political, social, or religious associations; there were the Philadelphia Marine Artillery (shipmasters and mariners), the Senior Military Association (men over 45), the Philadelphia Chasseurs (Frenchmen), the Military Association of the Northern Liberties, etc. A recent study of the social makeup of the companies showed that at least 60 percent of the members were no more than 28 years old; half of them were or would become lawyers; many belonged to Federalist political associations; those who were not lawyers were merchants or artisans (printer, engineer, hatter, engraver, rigger, etc.) Members of the Tuesday Club and the Philological Society provided a significant share of the leadership (Albrecht Koschnick, “Let a Common Interest Bind Us Together”: Association, Partnership, and Culture in Philadelphia, 1775-1840; U. Virginia Press, 2007, p. 174). After reports that the British had taken Washington in August, the volunteer companies offered their services as a group to the Federal command. The Benevolent Blues were at first rejected , but after the Federal troops were called to stand by for immediate action, General Bloomfield accepted the offer of service by the Benevolent Blues in September (Minutes of the Committee of the Defence of Philadelphia 1814-1815, in Memoirs of the Historical Society of Pennsylvania, Vol. VIII; J.B. Lippincott, Philadelphia, 1867, pp. 81-83). The Philadelphia units were positioned at Marcus Hook in anticipation of the British ascending the Delaware. When the danger of British invasion was over, the troops returned to Philadelphia and disbanded January 3, 1815. It is tempting to think that Henry Read/Reed might be related to Philip Reed, captain of the older Henry Seltzer’s militia company, but I have found no evidence for that. It is very likely, however, that Henry Seltzer’s membership in the Benevolent Blues is evidence of his social standing and his ties to the Northern Liberties.

Henry Selsor was married about 1815 to Catharine (last name unknown). No record of the marriage has been located, but the baptismal record of their sons supports this approximate date:

Church Record of the Germantown Reformed Church, now Market Square Presbyterian Church, Germantown 1753-1856, Microfilmed by Genealogical Society of Utah, 1947, film num. 2034.

Baptisms by Casper Wack 1813-1824: p. 145

Abraham, b. Dec. 28, 1816, bapt. Oct. 10, 1818; parents Henry Seltzer and Catharine, sponsors: parents. Wm. Henry, b. July 26, 1818, bapt. Oct. 10, 1818; parents Henry Seltzer and Catharine, sponsors: parents.

The Henry Seltzer who is often confused with Henry of Germantown appears in the 1820 census of Upper Dublin Township, Montgomery County, PA. The Upper Dublin Henry is probably the man who married Anna Stout on February 1, 1818 in Montgomery County, PA. He heads a household consisting of himself (age 16-26), a female age 16-26, and a female under 10. That there are two Henrys of about the same age is shown by the 1830 Census. Henry of Germantown appears as age 30-40 (born 1790-1800), head of a household with two males age 10-15 (born 1815-1820), one female age 30-40, one female age 5-10. The other Henry continues to appear in 1830 in Upper Dublin Township, Montgomery County, aged 30-40 with a female age 20-30, a male age less than 5, a male age 5-10, a female age 5-10, a female age 10-15.

To my knowledge, Henry of Germantown left no will, and I have found no record of his having participated in any occupation. He appears in no tax list or occupational directory I have examined. I have found no record that could represent the survival of his widow Catharine. It may be that Henry, after his father’s death in the Northern Liberties, continued to live as if he were a gentleman, but left no estate or provision for his children. By 1831, three years before Casper Schlatter wrote his will, both Casper’s brother-in-law Henry and Henry’s son had died. In 1834, the heirs of the younger Henry Selser were still minors: Abraham was 18, William Henry was 16, their sister (probably Adeline) was about 12. They were among the minor children of the Seltzer family to whom Jacob Pruner was assigned as guardian to administer their share of Casper’s will. After coming of age, they would have to live as they could, without land and perhaps without a trade.

Abraham B. Selsor, the older brother, went into metal work. City directories and tax records for years show him living on Clinton Street in Germantown and apparently prospering as a machinist. William Henry Selsor, in 1839, at the age of about 21, took out a Seaman’s Protection Certificate (to certify his American citizenship in case the British attempted to impress him at sea) in New York in preparation for going to sea. Two years later, with seven months of seagoing experience, he was the most mature and experienced of the ordinary seamen aboard the ill-fated Brig Somers when it sailed out of New York Navy Yard, and had a hand in chaining the young men who were to be hanged as mutineers. Like most of the crewmen from the Somers, he left the Navy as soon as possible, then went into various ventures in construction and metal work with Allen Ridgway, husband of his sister Adeline in Germantown, and died in 1858, leaving his widow Hannah with their three children. That’s another story.
**************************************************************************************************

Comments

Marcia406- Henry Selsor , b. 1792: I have read Henry Sr.'s will where Henry Jr. was asked to finish the eastern extension on the House on 4th ST. for his wife. It seems there is are children in the household. Casper Schlatter and Henry Jr. were executors and both resided in Upper Dublin. In an 1830 census Henry is listed as a manufacturer in upper Dublin. Henry Jr. was married Mary Stout at Boehm Reformed German church where Nickolas and many Selsors are buried. Nickolas Seltzer/Selsor/Selser (spelled three ways in his will) was a church elder there and the family IS the first and foremost row in the cemetery. Henry and Nickolas were listed as paying their supply tax during the Revolutionary war Listed in the Pa. Archives. Casper Schlatter's family is buried immediately behind them. I have the list of of henry's children from a family bible.

George Selsor was the founder of the Germantown Tool Works, a manufacturer of coffee grinders (his patent exhibited at the 1876 Centennial in Philadelphia). Also manufactured, hatchets, hammers, shutter pins. The company was named Keystone works for a while as well. There is a Jonathan A. Seltzer listed as the Vice president of the Enterprise Manufacturing in Kensington at 3rd and Dauphin Streets. I was wondering if that was a descendent of Henry and Elizabeth's family. I have a photo of the demolished house on fourth st. with a Cart access into a court. I got that at the Phila. Historical Commission.

Selsors buried at Boehm Church

Selser, Catherine, d. 17 Oct 18?2, age: 76y1m10d, Consort of John Selser Sr.

Selser, Jesse, d. 9 Aug 1872

Selser, John Sr., d. 3 Apr 1816, age: 61y3m26d

Seltzer, Mary, d. 26 Aug 1812, age: 89y6m18d, Wife of Nicholas Seltzer

Seltzer, Nicholas, d. 1 Apr 1795, age: 71y

Selzer, Elizabeth, no dates

I am looking for henry Sr.'s grave.

Marcia Selsor

IndianSpy- The two Henrys of 1830 again: Marcia, thanks for your careful comments! Do you happen to have a copy of the will of Henry d. 1815, son of Nicholas? I have seen only the abstract. Love to see the full text. The challenge we have is to determine which of the two Henrys (he of Upper Dublin 1830, and he of Germantown 1830) is the Henry who was named in the will of Henry 1815. As I argue above, I believe the Henry of Germantown 1830 is the son of Henry of Montco/Northern Liberties. The Henry of Upper Dublin 1830 may be the brother of George of GTwn, and all may be related. I live in Phila and pass by Boehm's churchyard often, and have seen the grave of Henry of Gtwn/War of 1812 in Hood's Cem; he is my wife's 3ggf. One of the distinguishing clues is the Abrahams. Henry son of Nicholas has brother Abraham, a pewterer, living just below Northern Lib in 1793, then living in Gtwn. Henry of Gtwn 1818/1830 had sons Abraham and W Henry. Abraham the Elder, son of Nich., is in Hood's Cem with Henry of Gtwn; Henry of Gtwn was in the 1812 troop formed in N Libs, where he must have lived as a child of Henry son of Nich, after his father gave up farming. Aside from the 1820 and 1830 censuses of Upper Dublin, do we have anything else on Henry of Upper Dublin, to suggest his parentage? BTW, I have checked everything I can think of for graves in NLib and have come up empty. It's all been paved over. Anyway, if you have a copy of the full text of the will of 1815, I'd certainly like to see it. Otherwise a trip to City Hall, which at my age is not easy. And I have other puzzles.
6 years ago Flag Hide

Marcia406 In the 1815 will, Henry SR. requests Henry Junior to finish the east side of the house for his wife , Elizabeth, Henry's stepmother. The photo I found at he historical Commission faces West on N. 4TH ST. so the rear of the house would have been the part to be finished. There are also lists of renters in the will. I actually was able to hold the original 1815 will in my hands. I will see if I can copy it for you. It was difficult to read the microfilm so they brought it over from the archives for me.
5 years ago Flag Hide

Marcia406 I think Casper Schlatter and henry Jr. were working together in upper Dublin but that was something I remember reading from years ago. Also Henry from Upper Dublin was married to May Anna Stout in Boehm Church, Whitpain. I saw German baptisms of there children in a church document at the Pa. Historical Society. I have a transcription of the family bible of their children and their marriage of Feb. 1 1818.
Feb 1 is my birthday. Nichlaus was a Church elder at Boehm Church.
5 years ago Flag Hide

Marcia406 I do research when I visit Phila. I grew up there. My father grew up in Germantown, many of the relatives are buried in Ivy Hill cemetery. 2 Marshas, James, Jesse, George.
I have the documents from Ivy Hill.
5 years ago Flag Hide

momof3boys1961 After re-reading this and taking into consideration other bits and pieces of info, I wonder if George W. Selsor (the toolmaker) lived to adulthood with his uncle Abraham in Germantown. Since Abraham was a successful machinist and we know George W. was also a trained machinist, as was his son, John A. Selsor, it just makes sense.
4 years ago Edit Delete

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion