Louis Lachter - Louis Lachter's Second Wife

Started by Sue Davis on Monday, January 20, 2020
Problem with this page?

Participants:

Profiles Mentioned:

Showing all 8 posts
1/20/2020 at 2:11 PM

In the event that anyone is reading this profile, I am looking to find any information about Louis Lachter's second wife, Augusta Weinstein Pollack, whom she married in 1941. I am trying to find where she was buried (she died in 1968). I know Louis is buried with his first wife, Rose. But I can't find the final resting place of Augusta (Gusta). Her first husband died in 1924 and is buried in Los Angeles. She is my second cousin once removed. Thank you.

Sue Davis

Private User
1/20/2020 at 3:04 PM

Hi Sue, I forwarded your question to my sister Ronne to see if she knows anything. She has a better memory than me and is 3 years older.

Alan

1/21/2020 at 6:03 AM

Thanks Alan. I think we were all in touch a few years ago, when I was trying to establish just how Gusta fit into my family. Since that time, I’ve been able to establish her place and relationship in my tree, but the only missing piece is her final resting place. Find-a-Grave and all other cemetery searches have not been successful, and since I am not a direct descendant, I am not eligible to get a death certificate (which really stinks). So I thought I would throw this question out there again.... thanks!!!

1/23/2020 at 9:37 PM

Where does the name Weinstein come from

Private User
1/26/2020 at 10:38 AM

Hi Sue, My sister didn’t’ know anything about Gusta. She did remind me, though, that our grandmother and her father, Louis Lachter, did not really have much of a relationship in those days. He basically disowned her after she divorced her syphilitic, brain dead husband, Maurice Feinne. Strange Gusta was a Pollack, my mother’s family were Pollack’s. Also somewhat interesting is that my Hebrew School teacher was a Mr. Weinstein and he lived up the block from my grandfather, Max Pollack, in Rego Park. Seems everyone was related somehow in those days.

Alan

1/27/2020 at 5:02 AM

Maida, Gusta’s mother was Adele Rubinstein, my great-grandmother’s sister. She married Leon Weinstein and they had two children, Augusta and Max. Augusta (Gusta) married Lazarus Pollack, but he died in the mid-1920s from tuberculosis while traveling for the music company he worked for. He died and is buried in California (with no gravestone). Gusta married Louis Lachter. I remember visiting Gusta when I was younger in her little house in Queens. I always wondered “how” she was related. I FINALLY found out she was my grandfather’s cousin. I don’t know “who” might have taken care of her final arrangements after her death. No one is around to ask.

1/29/2020 at 2:23 PM

For what it's worth, I found a lot of little news articles online about Louis Lachter (his obituary, which lists his survivors, including Augusta and his children/grandchildren), an article about his 50th anniversary celebration with first wife Rose, the death of his daughter Anne, the disbursement of assets from Rose's will, and the marriage of his granddaughter Joyce. I suppose there is a possibility that Gusta was cremated and there is no burial place (highly unlikely), but how can a person die and just disappear into thin air?!? I will find her.....

Private User
1/30/2020 at 7:01 AM

Sue, Can you send me a copy of the obituary or a link? Don’t know an Anne...

Alan

Showing all 8 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion