Harry Damelin - TWO Not One

Started by Private User on Friday, February 28, 2020
Problem with this page?

Participants:

Profiles Mentioned:

Showing all 9 posts
Private User
2/28/2020 at 10:21 AM

This Harry Damelin - Harry Damelin - was showing with parents Manachem Mendel Damelin and Rosa Nettler, and with three wives: Minnie Yaffe, Kate Bell, and Sarah (Freeman) Damelin.

The 1912 Massachusetts Marriage Record for Harry Damelin and Minnie Yaffe gives his parents as Gabriel Damelin and Sarah Goldberg. The 1918 Massachusetts Marriage for Harry Damelin and Katie Bell (following Minnie's death earlier that year), gives Harry's parents as Gabriel and "Sarah ----"
These are clearly not the Parents that were listed for this Harry.

Private User
2/28/2020 at 10:37 AM

-JOWBR shows a Harry DAMELIN who died 22-Dec-1945 and is buried in West Park Cemetery - Plot: West Park - in Johannesburg, South Africa AND a Sarah DAMELIN who died 08-April-1958 and is buried in West Park Cemetery - Plot: West Park - in Johannesburg, South Africa
This Harry Damelin shows the same info for his Date and Place of Death, and Burial: in Johannesburg, December 22, 1945.- and with Sarah also buried there in the same Plot and Cemetery, I suspect this info and spouse is correct for this Harry Damelin.

I have created a separate Harry Damelin for wives Minnie Yaffe and Kate Bell, with the parents listed on the Marriage Records for Harry Damelin to Minnie and Kate: Harry Louis Damelin

Private User
2/28/2020 at 10:53 AM

There is a 1943 Declaration of Intention for Harry Damelin, which gives his Birth as Oct. 15, 1883 in Zagar, Latvia -- he says his wife is Kate and they were married 8/10/18 in Lynn, Mass. -- this matches the Mass. Marriage Record for Harry Damelin and Katie Bell mentioned above.
And there is a matching Naturalization Records Index for Harry DAMELIN born Oct 15, 1883 - living at the same address, ie 252 Magnolia Ave in Dorchester, as in the Declaration of Intention mentioned above, and showing Date of Order of Admission as March 18, 1946 -- so clearly this is not for the Harry Damelin who died in South Africa in December 1945.

Either the two were born on the same Date, or someone copied the Birth Info for this Harry on the Profile for the other Harry.

10/31/2020 at 7:46 PM

Lois, Minnie Yaffe Damelin is related to me through my grandfather, Wm. Yaffe, brother of Shaia, father of Minnie (1888-1918). If I can clarify anything, let me know. I have created a Yaffe tree (personal use). Minnie would be my first cousin once removed. I did notice a Harry Damelin in S.A. The Harry who married Minnie is in your first description above I have a note that he first immigrated to S.A. to see some relatives and then ended up in Mass., where he married Minnie. If you would like me to send you any files on the Yaffe family, let me know. it can be confusing when relatives have the same name, but it is interesting that so many were named after a common ancestor.

Thanks,

Sincerely,

Carol Robins

Private User
11/2/2020 at 8:35 AM

Carol Robins -- Let's try to get Geni fixed up a bit.
You refer to your "grandfather, Wm. Yaffe, brother o6f Shaia, father of Minnie (1888-1918)"
BUT I do not see a brother William for Shaia -- Shaia Yaffe --
Is your grandfather Wm. there by a different name, in which case, which one is he? Or should he be added? (And if the latter, will you add him?). Or??

When and where did the Harry who married Minnie die?

11/2/2020 at 10:47 AM

Hi,

This has been a confusing item for us for some time. William (Wolf) had a sister, Fannie Yaffe Tankel, a brother Charles (Jaffe, Jaffee), another brother Moses, and a brother Shaia, father of Minnie Yaffe Damelin and Louis Yaffe. I know there is a 1841 date for a Shaia, but we have concluded this is a different generation. The Shaia brother of Wm. is listed as born in 1866 or 1868 on familysearch. I have the Yaffe tree of the brothers on my computer in a Word document. If it would help you to see the hierarchy, I can email it to you. I have not published it. It's just for cousins, but I'd like to share. Are you related to one of the Yaffes? I have many files, and on Minnie's marriage register, her father is "Sae" (Shaia). We do not think he immigrated to here. I am in touch with the niece of Minnie. I am not directly related to Harry Damelin, but he married a Yaffe. Many of the items I see on the trees mentioning the 1841 Shaia but not the 1866 one. If you want to email me any thing, I am at cjrobins22@hotmail.com. I think looking at my overall outline will be helpful. I am glad to share it. I keep updating it. I do not know how to go beyond the brothers' father, who is Louis or Leib. I do see a lot of names (Zalkind, Shaia) elsewhere but am not sure if these are cousins. Thanks, Lois.

1/12/2022 at 1:43 PM

There was definitely more than one Harry Damelin, One died in S.A. I have a news obituary for this. So I agree---two Harrys. Minnie's husband died in Mass, as noted above. Harry (Mass.) first went to South Africa and fought in the Boer and later went to the U.S. His father was Gabriel. Someone placed a little tree in Familysearch. I also have info on his second wife, Kate Bel and their children. I met Minnie's daughter once. But I was not studying genealogy then. I wish I had more info. I also correspond to a niece of Minnie (her brother's daughter).

It has been a long time since I visited Geni. I am writing today only because it features Shaia again. Leib Yaffe was the father of Fannie, Shaiah, Wolf (Wm.), Moses, and Charles (Zalka).

I am satisfied that my grandfather Wolf (Wm.) Yaffe (Jaffe)'s brother was Shaia (Joseph Shaia). William was born in 1869 and Shaia seems to be born in 1866 or 1868, as I found in familysearch. I see the 1841 date all the time for Shaiah, but then why would his brother be 25 years younger? (1841 to 1869?) Leib Yaffe was the father of William and Shaiah. I do not know if Shaiah came to the U.S. His granddaughter says no.

At some point there might have been a Shaiah born in 1841, but wouldn't he have been quite old for his daughter Minnie to be born in 1888? I guess it is possible. His wife Ann is given a date of 1868 in familysearch. I do not know who placed this info, but it seems more reasonable. I can only make a note in my own outline that the date for Shaiah is not verified. I do not know how to correct anything on Geni. Thanks for all your elaboration.

The Yaffe ancestors include a few Zalkinds and Shaiahs, William's brother, born in 1874, was known as Zalkin and Zalka.

I can show you my skeletal outline with names if you want me to send you by email (listed above).

Private User
1/12/2022 at 5:24 PM

Carol, until your post above, I had not looked at the Harry I created since 11/3/2020 - that is over a year ago. And it was even longer ago - in Feb. 2020 - that I looked at the other Harry. Nor did I have any memory whatsoever about them.

You said ". I do not know how to correct anything on Geni." -- Go to the Profile, click "Edit Profile". Make the correction. Click "Save" at the bottom of the screen.
Also - There is an "Edit" on the About in the Overview Tab - click it to add commenta and info there or make corrections to what is there. Then click save at the bottom of the screen. You care about these people. You can do it!!

Private User
1/12/2022 at 5:33 PM

I have sent / had Geni send you an invite to be a Manager of the Harry I added.

Showing all 9 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion