Band of Brothers, Easy Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne Division

Started by Alex Moes on Saturday, April 11, 2020
Problem with this page?

Participants:

Profiles Mentioned:

Related Projects:

Showing all 7 posts
4/11/2020 at 7:28 PM

After two years I am raising the white flag and surrendering on the project i started in January 2018 https://www.geni.com/projects/Easy-Company-a-Band-of-Brothers/46452

I started with a list of 377 paratroopers who served with E Company and since then I have been thru the entire list twice looking for obituaries, gravestones, enlistment records, memorials, family trees and census data to match these American men born in the early 1900s. In doing so I've created or expanded on 281 trees on Geni, my goal in each case has been to either connect these men's trees to Geni's World Family Tree or to try to reach a tree size of at least 50 profiles in hopes that this will give them a good chance of being connected at some point in the future.

I've had a bit of help along the way and have actually been contacted by several veteran's children and one of the associations which has been nice but now I am at the end of what I can do alone and need help if the project is to expand any further.

Please spread the word.

PS I am going to post this message in several places so sorry if you get spammed a bit :)

8/21/2021 at 9:42 PM

Alex,
I found a veteran from Airborne division Army how would I find out more about his service. His obit and tombstone all I have on him.

Gerald Max Shoemaker

Billie

8/22/2021 at 12:18 AM

You can request a copy of his military service record from the Army, I've never done it myself so don't have details. Your husband's probably going to have a better idea than me :)

1958-61, would that be Korea? Without knowing which regiment he was with it's hard to suggest anything useful

8/22/2021 at 1:29 AM

The obit lists 3 children and a grandchild (who'd be in his 30s by now), maybe one of them might have anecdotes about Jerry's service.

8/22/2021 at 12:05 PM

Thanks Alex I didn’t know if you had list of airborne this why I asked thanks for help.

Billie

8/22/2021 at 3:06 PM

I'm not 100% certain but i think there are still active Airborne units 80 something years after the first were created, that'd be quite some list.

If we knew what unit he was in then searching that unit's histories becomes an option. The vague way the obit is written doesn't even fill me with confidence that he actually was a paratrooper but even if he was the wording is basically useless, the 101st is the most famous of the Airborne units but there are lots of others https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_paratrooper_forces#United_States

8/23/2021 at 7:51 PM

Alex,
I got on ancestry few hubby 2nd cousins and others researching him I put in a query with them see if anyone knows anything. My hubby was army and he don’t know his uncle stuff. We will see I will get back to you if I find anything.

Billie

Showing all 7 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion