Major William Thomas Alley, Bishop of Exeter, Mayor of Wycombe - Several Issues

Showing all 4 posts

Consistency Check:
Wife of John Alley is under 12 years old for the birth of her child Major William Thomas Alley, Bishop of Exeter, Mayor of Wycombe.
More than 22 year age difference between Sybil Hill and her husband Major William Thomas Alley, Bishop of Exeter, Mayor of Wycombe.
More than 22 year age difference between Joan Alley and her husband Major William Thomas Alley, Bishop of Exeter, Mayor of Wycombe.
Isabella Alley is under 14 years old for her marriage.Isabella Alley is under 12 years old for the birth of her child Margaret Hill.

I know they could all be correct they just need to be addressed.

9/24/2020 at 9:32 AM

I suspect he's been merged with his son at some point. Hence the two names, the Bishop bit, and the DoD 1570.

I've taken out the Bishop and the title Major, which couldn't be right.

6/18/2021 at 7:31 PM

@William Alley
Hi there - William Alley b1510 in Gt Wycomb (Bishop of Exeter). I found 3 possible wives: Sybil Bodleigh, Isabelle Allyne, Mary Stewart. Sybil does look more likely to have been his mother, as she's a contemporary of William Wycombe Alley, b.1483, who I think is the younger William's father (rather than William Thomas Alley, b.1475)

It's all very confusing!
The major in the title is a bit like 'bishop' - Wm Thos was a mayor...

6/18/2021 at 7:34 PM

@William Alley
and another thought - the 'wycombe' may have been added to a record by someone to identify where he came from, rather than actually being his name, so i guess given that, Wm Thos may be the same person, albeit with different dates...

Showing all 4 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion