Frederick Trent, Sr. - Looks like Frederick Sr and Frederick Junior are the same person.

Started by Private User on Friday, February 19, 2021
Problem with this page?

Participants:

• Private User
    Geni member
  • Geni Pro

Profiles Mentioned:

Showing all 10 posts
Private User
2/19/2021 at 3:01 PM

The following message was posted on the "fixing Colonial American Trees" thread at https://www.geni.com/discussions/185827 on 12/30/2020. There was no response.

Trent family action request

1. Frederick Trent. Please merge Frederick Trent, Sr. and Frederick Trent Jr
These profiles were created based on the widespread belief that there were two Frederick Trents in the area at this time, one in Tazewell county and one in Cabell/Logan. An extensive review of the records indicates strongly that there was only one Frederick Trent who did not stay in any one place for very long, and moved frequently between the counties of Russell, Tazewell, and Cabell/Logan in Virginia, and probably Pike/Floyd county in Kentucky as well. The records indicate that he was born before 1774, and probably died around 1833-34. The evidence is discussed at http://www.littlefeatheredbuddies.com/chzonie/trentfredericks.html

I leave it to your discretion on how to handle the wives. There is contemporaneous documentation for Elizabeth/Lydia through 1820, and for Agnes in 1835. It is not clear whether Agnes is a second wife, or if Lydia started using the name Agnes sometime after 1820. There is a complication: Henry Clay Ragland’s well-known “History of Logan County” says that Frederick was in Logan County with Agnes in 1806, and attributes several of the children to her. The book was published in 1896, ninety years after the event, and contains some errors. It will be best to add a note explaining that Ragland is not a wholly reliable source and should not be regarded as proof of anything.

The available evidence indicates that Frederick had at least nine children with Lydia by 1815, and has no known children born after that date. They are: an unidentified son born between 1794 and 1802; daughters Chloe born 1800, Sinea/Linney born 1801-02, and Edy born 1803; sons Humphrey born 1806 and Eli born 1809; daughters Susan born 1810 and Sarah born 1809-11; and son Frederick junior born 1815. Ragland says that Agnes was the mother of the last five, but this is apparently wrong if Lydia and Agnes were two different people (assuming that Frederick was not a bigamist).

Geni currently shows that Frederick (Sr) and Lydia are the parents of Frederick Jr, Melvina “Linney”, Molly, Alexander, and John Trent. Frederick Jr is being merged into Frederick Sr. Linney is an actual daughter, but the name on her death certificate is Sinea not Melvina according to https://www.genealogy.com/ftm/z/a/j/Scott-A-Zajac/GENE4-0003.html There are signs that the unidentified son may have been named Alexander, but this has not been confirmed. There is no documentation for a son named John or a daughter named Molly, so they should probably be removed.

Geni currently shows that Frederick (Jr) and Agnes are the parents of Humphrey, Eli, Sarah, Susanna, Frederick III, and Linney Lydia Christian. Linney Lydia is a duplicate of Melvina Linney, so they should be merged. The other children are correct, but should be attached to Frederick and Lydia, not Frederick and Agnes. Frederick III should be renamed as Frederick Jr, because the current Frederick junior is going away. Chloe and Edy are not currently on the list of children, but I can add them after everything else is sorted out.

2. The parents of Henry “the immigrant” Trent are unknown, and it looks like the father and grandfather assigned to him at Henry Trent, Sr and Henri Trent, I are mistimed duplicates of his own profile at Henry Trent, II Please disconnect the parents and grandparents. There is an existing discussion on the profiles which didn’t get any results. Some renumbering of the remaining Henrys will be needed.

Thank you! I know this is a complicated request.

2/19/2021 at 4:58 PM

Private User to link to a specific post, rather than an entire discussion thread follow these steps:

Instead of copy/paste of the page's URL copy and paste the URL link embedded in the date/time stamp of the individual post, it appears under the name of the user who posted the comment.
Don't post the date/time itself as what is displayed is time zone dependent. Using a PC hover the cursor on the date/time right-click, copy link address, then paste.

2/19/2021 at 4:58 PM

As to your request, it's not actually very complicated at all.

Merge duplicates Frederick Trent, Sr. with Frederick Trent, Sr.

Merge their wives, who are likely duplicates.

Merge 2 daughters Melvina Lydia Christian and Melvina Lydia Christian

Disconnect John Trent and Molly Trent

Change the names of Frederick Trent and Melvina Lydia Christian

It looks like these two Tree Matches need merging in also https://www.geni.com/search/matches?id=6000000000966607338&src=...

2/19/2021 at 5:01 PM

Can you paste a link to the profile of Henry "the immigrant" otherwise I am not clear who he is.
I think this is him maybe Henry Trent, Jr.

Anyway the more profiles you link the more managers a likely to be alerted to your post.

Private User
2/20/2021 at 9:23 AM

There were links to all the profiles in the original post, which was ignored. After a couple of months I reposted the message on Frederick's profile so it wouldn't be lost completely. If someone is going to take action on it now, that would be wonderful! I didn't think it was appropriate for me to start merging people without the knowledge of the higher-ups, and I don't think I have the power to disconnect anybody.

Here's the link to Henry the Immigrant's profile, as requested: Henry Trent, III

Henry has one child too many. Peterfield Trent is Henry's great-grandson, not his son. The earliest known Peterfield Trent was born in 1732 and is descended from Henry's son Alexander.

Henry has no known siblings or other family other than his descendants. I have no idea who the William and James Trent currently listed as his brothers are supposed to be. Considering that there are no locations, wives, or children on their profiles, it seems likely that they are fictional. There is no known record of these people in colonial Virginia in this timeframe, and we don't know who Henry might have left behind in England.

BTW his son William grew up in Henry's household but is not Henry's biological son. The Trent DNA project discovered that he actually has Howell paternity.

Private User
2/20/2021 at 9:44 AM

Hopefully this is the link to the original post in the big Colonial Trees thread: https://www.geni.com/discussions/185827?msg=1439634

2/20/2021 at 8:48 PM

Private User I don't follow the Colonial Trees thread so I never saw your original post, all my comments were general no criticisms of your behaviour.

Your research seems well developed and being willing to post it publicly is good. Please merge what you can, cutting links is a bit more complex of a topic than I would like to delve into at this time. Cut if you can, ask for help if you can't. One trip is to do merges and resolve multiple parent conflicts after rather than trying to cut parents first.

I'll be offline due to a business trip for the next few days but i'll check back in when home and assist where needed.

Private User
2/21/2021 at 9:25 AM

I'll give it a try! I haven't done this before so I'm afraid that it might end in disaster, but it can be fixed if it does.

Private User
2/21/2021 at 2:07 PM

I tried to merge Frederick Trent, Sr. with Frederick Trent, Sr. and it told me that I couldn't do it. I haven't attempted to merge anyone else, since all the others are secondary to getting these two merged.

At first I thought that I would try to merge Henry Trent, III with his fictional father and grandfather. But I saw that a couple of extra generations have been added going back into the 1500s. None of these supposed ancestors are known to by related to "my" Henry, but it's possible that they really existed and are related to someone. I haven't tried to do anything with Henry.

You mentioned a couple of duplicate Fredericks who might need to be merged. But I couldn't follow the link because I don't have a subscription.

2/21/2021 at 5:39 PM

Private User take another looks, probably still needs more work.

Showing all 10 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion