Lewis Thomas - Ireland?

Started by Wanda Thomas Flesher on Sunday, February 21, 2021
Problem with this page?

Participants:

Profiles Mentioned:

2/21/2021 at 1:10 PM

When I was a child, my father said that his great grandfather, David Thomas, b 1808, Washington Co VA came from Ireland. But it was a myth passed along in the family for a few generations. David Thomas was the son of Lewis Thomas, b 1755, in Virginia. However Washington Co, VA wasn't formed at the time Lewis Thomas was born.

A Family Tree of some Virginia Counties is: Spotsylvania in 1721 became - Orange in 1734; Augusta in 1745; Botetourt in 1770; Fincastle from 1772 to 1777; and Washington in 1777. Other counties that were also formed from those are Dunsmore (no longer exists), Shenandoah, Montgomery, Frederick, and more. Lewis was probably born in one of these which was formed from Spotsylvania.

Lewis Thomas's father was Reuben Thomas, born about 1735 in Virginia. There are several Reuben's born in the same general time period. I have eliminated several of them, and there may be more who are yet to be found. But we are sure that Lewis, son of Reuben, was born here on American soil, and his American roots go back several generations before he was born. Time to put the Myth to rest.

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion