• Private User
    Geni member
  • Private User
    Geni member

Profiles Mentioned:

Showing all 4 posts
Private User
2/28/2021 at 6:20 AM

My Great grandfather fell to his death, off a telephone pole while at work in Syracuse N.Y. In 1905. Sincerely William Mario Rabozzi.

Private User
2/28/2021 at 10:57 PM

Thank you for your reply William.
I actually found an article in a newspaper about this a few years ago.
I have it on my ancestry account.
I no longer tend to use my Geni account but I do keep it active incase people wish to contact me.
Kind regards
Kerry

Falls 35 feet, lands on head
William J. Johnston, a lineman, is fatally injured
Dies within two hours
Fellow workmen do not know how the accident occurred--victim leaves wife and four children

Falling thirty-five feet from the top of a pole, William J. Johnston, a lineman, was so badly inured at 4:45 o'clock yesterday afternoon that he died two hours later at St. Joseph's Hospital. The accident occurred opposite the plant of the Eckels-Nye Steel Company at Emerson avenue and Chemung street.
Johnston was at work with other linemen employed by the Syracuse Lighting Company. Whether he received a shock or slipped those working with him could not tell. He landed on his head on a pile of ice and frozen snow and was rendered unconscious.
Blood flowed freely from his ears and nose, indicating that he had suffered a fracture of the skull. Hart's ambulance was summoned and rushed the dying man to St. Joseph's Hospital. There it was realized that he could live but a short time. His wife was summoned to the hospital before he died.
The hospital surgeons said that Johnston had suffered a transverse fracture at the base of the skull. The remains were taken to Hart's undertaking rooms and will be taken to the family home at No. 122 Garfield avenue this morning.
Mr. Johnston was 35 years old and a native of England. His parents, William and Mr. Jane Johnston, now reside in that country. Besides them and a widow, he leaves four children, Duncan M., Helen K., William C., and Le Roy V. Johnston, the oldest of whom is but 10 years of age.
Mr. Johnston came to this country fifteen years ago and for the past twelve years had been an employe of the Syracuse Lighting Company. He was a member of the Knights of Pythias and of the Knights of the Maccabees. Coroner Daniel F. Mathews was notified. Arrangements for the funeral have not been made.

Syracuse Post Standard March 11, 1905, page 6

Private User
3/8/2021 at 3:48 PM

Hi Kerry ! I sent you an email to your account, I haven’t heard back from you , just wondering if you got it .. Bill Rabozzi

Showing all 4 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion