Sofie von Raabs-Reidfeld, Countess of Zollern, Burgravine of Nuremberg - Incorrect dates or incorrect parentage

Started by Mike Stangel on Tuesday, March 9, 2021
Problem with this page?

Participants:

Profiles Mentioned:

Showing all 11 posts
3/9/2021 at 11:43 AM

Greetings,

I work for Geni and we received the following message (pardon the translation):

"It doesn't go together. It is possible that the assignment of mother Hildegard to her parents is incorrect. Wikipedia (de) names Sophia von Raabs' grandfather instead of Rapoto II. Friedrich II. Von Abenberg. But that leads to an even younger Hildegard. It must be older (* around 1140)!"

Indeed, if Sofie was born around 1160 then her mother could not have been born in 1164. I hope someone can figure out how to correct this.

Kind regards,

Mike at Geni

Private User
3/9/2021 at 12:08 PM

"Sophie von Raabs, was born around 1170 as Burgravine of Nürnberg. She was the daughter of Konrad II. von Raabs, Burgrave of Nürnberg...In 1184, Sophie married Friedrich III., Count of Zollern...Sophie died after 1204, maybe around 1218."

Sources

Theodor Hirsch: Friedrich, Graf von Zollern (III.), Burggraf von Nürnberg (I.). In: Historische Kommission bei der Bayerischen Akademie der Wissenschaften (Hrsg.): Allgemeine Deutsche Biographie, Band 7 (1878), S. 569.

Charles Cawley: Bavarian Nobility: Burggrafen von Nürnberg (Herren von Raabs). In: Medieval Lands. A prosopography of medieval European noble and royal families. Published by: Foundation for Medieval Genealogy.

Genealogie Mittelalter: Sophie von Raabs, Burgrräfin von Nürnberg.
Karl Lechner: Die Babenberger. Markgrafen und Herzöge von Österreich 976-1246. 1976, S. 209.

https://www.wikitree.com/wiki/Raabs-1

(Her parents are not as well documented, imho.)

According to Cawley, her mother is unknown. And her birthdate is unknown also. An easy fix for this data inconsistency might be to simply remove any date for her birth, or alternatively to change it to "ca. 1170"

http://fmg.ac/Projects/MedLands/BAVARIAN%20NOBILITY.htm#_ftnref1535

Private User
3/9/2021 at 12:13 PM

Her maternal history seems to be based mainly on this:

https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rapoto_von_Abenberg

Private User
3/9/2021 at 12:22 PM

Argh, should have had some coffee first. In my haste I skipped over one Konrad. Cawley does have her mother named (but without origins):

Konrad [her father, not grandfather] m HILDEGARD, daughter of ---. Konrad [II] & his wife had one child: [Sophie]

So Cawley does have her mother's name, Hildegard; and the Danish site identifies her mother as the same as what we have here on Geni.

(And I still stand by my suggested fix for the inconsistent birth dates.)

3/9/2021 at 5:34 PM

Birth dates in this era are almost always an educated guess, and when merging brings the educated guesses of different users together logical impossibilities like this one are the result. It is extremely common in the medieval portion of the tree.

Changing Sofie's DOB to c1170 won't be sufficient as her mother's DOB of 1164 would still be impractical. I shall dog a little deeper.

3/10/2021 at 2:31 PM

Sophie's father, Konrad II von Raabs-Reidfeld, Burgrave of Nuremberg is currently on Geni with a DOB of 1151. This is not possible as Cawley/Medlands states his father's death as 1149 http://fmg.ac/Projects/MedLands/BAVARIAN%20NOBILITY.htm#_Toc524803071

According to https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Konrad_II._von_Raabs his birth is c1125/1130 but they offer no source for this claim, I suspect it is driven mathematically by the DOB of his daughter Agnes (c1154) but this is questionable as Cawley/Medlands does not even list Agnes as part of this family.

3/10/2021 at 2:38 PM

Sophie's grandfather, Konrad I Graf von Raabs, Burggraf von Nürnberg is listed on Geni as 1127-1155 and cites a GenealogieOnline tree as the source for these dates but looking at that page it is empty of any useful information.

Both Cawley and de.wikipedia give Konrad II a death date in the 1140s.

Cawley notes a charter signed by Konrad I in 1125 and de.wikipedia states that he was burgrave from 1105, both of which would be mathematically impossible with Geni's current DOB.

3/10/2021 at 2:48 PM

There is no de.wikipedia page for Sophie's great-grandfather, Gottfried I. Graf von Gosham who has dates on Geni of 1103 to 1184 but no evidence.

Cawley lists a death date _after_ 1084 as Gottfried inherits his father's title in that year, so i suspect the very specific death date in Geni of 31 March 1184 is actually the date of that charter and not his death at all and that the user who put the date in made a typo adding an extra hundred years!

Considering Gottfried inherited his title in 1084 I'd suggest a DOB of c1060 and a death date before 1125 (when we know Konrad I was burgrave).

3/10/2021 at 2:55 PM

There is no de.wikipedia page for Sophie's great-great-grandfather, Ulrich I. von Gosham who has dates on Geni of 1079 to 1083 but no evidence. Note that this means on Geni he died 20 years before his son was born!

The 1083 date is a match for Cawley (FINALLY!) though Geni lists his death in Germany while Cawley gives evidence for location being Rome.

When Ulrich was born is anyone's guess but certainly 1079 cannot be correct. Mathematically he can't have died age 4 and anyway he was witness to a charter in 1073 so must have been in his majority by that time so born c1050 or earlier.

On Geni he is connected as a son of Diepold I Von Traugau, Graf im Angstgau und Traungau who, on Geni at least, died in 1060 a whole 19 years before his son was born (on Geni at least).

3/10/2021 at 3:02 PM

Mike Stangel you can see from the timestamps that this whole exercise has taken me less than 1/2 hour. As I said yesterday this branch is typical of the quality of the Geni tree in the German portion of the medieval tree. While none of these profiles is a MP I wouldn't put too much faith in MPs of this era.

Mike you ended with "I hope someone can figure out how to correct this." and the answer is quite simple. Delete the DOBs of all the profiles I've mentioned because we don't know when any of them were born, and further delete the unsupported death dates as for most medieval nobles we only have dates for things they did during their lives never at the start and rarely at the end, especially for females.

3/10/2021 at 3:03 PM

PS of course it took me a bit of practice to get to the point where I can do it in 1/2 hour but it's nothing above high school level research that I have done so I'm not trying to toot my own horn.

Showing all 11 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion