Problem with this page?

Participants:

Profiles Mentioned:

Showing all 9 posts
3/12/2021 at 12:29 PM

Please help.

Kimberley Phillips Writes:

I am contacting you about this profile: Rev. John Bray

In 1689 John Bray sold land in Exeter NH with the consent of his mother Mary M. Whitlock. (he didn't marry Ann, widow of Bowne until about 1712). I'm interested in seeing documentation of his birth being Aug. 1663. There was also land sold by Tho. & Mary Seabrook that indicates it was Richard Bray's land in Oyster River.

(Mary Whitlock Was his mother, Anna Bowne was his wife.)

3/12/2021 at 12:32 PM

Thank you - we'll see what comes up.

3/30/2021 at 6:55 PM

I have the same question about Rev John Bray's date of birth, but cannot find any documentation to support the month of Aug.

However, I did find this published genealogy record online of the family which has quite a few generations:
https://goodspeedhistories.com/bray-family-tree/

Also, I noticed that this profile does not include Rev. Bray's first wife, Susannah Stout and their son James Sr. who I am a descendant of. Is there a reason for this?

Thank you!
Ruth McCarthy

3/30/2021 at 11:00 PM

I think that wife Susannah never got entered. Can you add, with citations in profile? She’s listed in his “about.”

3/31/2021 at 6:28 AM

I looked at the "bray family tree" site and it starts with Rev. John Bray. Actually his father was Richard Bray who is on the tax roll and receiving a land grant in Exeter/ Oyster River area in 1658. He died 1665 which is documented. He wife Mary then married Thomas Seabrook who was killed by Indians in 1675. Mary then married Thomas Whitlock and they moved to Middletown, NJ. in 1683. In 1689 Rev. John & "his mother, Mary M. Whitlock" sold land in Exeter/ Oyster River N.H.

John's 2nd wife is listed by some as Ann Seabrook, daughter of Mary Seabrook/Whitlock. But simple math says this can't be so. If Ann is the daughter of Mary then John married his 1/2 sister. If Ann is the daughter of Mary she would have been born at the latest 1675 (when Tho.Seabrook) died. She is believed to be the wife 1st of Andrew Bowne and had her 1st child Nehmah born 1708 making her about 33 yrs. She is reported to have married Rev. John 2nd in about 1713. Remember, John & his mother Mary signed a document selling land in 1689. He says Mary Whitlock was his mother about 24 yrs before his married Ann the widow of Andrew Bowne.

4/1/2021 at 6:49 PM

ok, I found that some already created a basic record for Susanna Bray and both sons John and James are there as well. However, I cannot attach her to Rev. John Bray however because his relationships are locked.

Susanna Bray

Can someone please help with that? Thank you!

Ruth McCarthy

4/1/2021 at 7:00 PM

Ruth Margaret McCarthy & Kimberley Phillips - Susanna is reunited with her family.

Very grateful for your contributions, please keep them coming.

4/1/2021 at 7:23 PM

Kimberley, I just reviewed my mother's extensive genealogy research notes and she came to the same conclusion as you regarding Rev. Bray's parentage, land grants, etc. in the Exeter Oyster River area. So the Goodspeed reference I found has some errors.

4/2/2021 at 7:29 AM

So does Dr. Stillwell's book. People have misquoted it for a long time. He said there's no doubt that Daniel Seabrook is the son of Tho. Seabrook. He also says James could be the son of Daniel and he believed he probably was based on Jas. inherited Daniel's property. Maybe Ann's a kid of Daniel too.

Stillwell threw the name Ann Seabrook out there without saying were he got anything on her. In the book History of the Old Tennant Church by Rev. Frank Symmers in 1895 he says Andrew Bowne married 1st Ann S.Whitlock. Did Dr. Stillwell see that and simply assumed the S was Seabrook? Could Ann S. Whitlock be the daughter of one of Tho. Whitlock's son? Did Stillwell overlook Rev. Symmes saying Andrew's 1st wife was Ann S. Whitlock.

Showing all 9 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion