My father's mother (Torbe) and father (Khait) both immigrated from Linkuva

Started by Private User on Friday, March 26, 2021
Problem with this page?

Participants:

Showing all 13 posts
Private User
3/26/2021 at 8:54 AM

I have no idea how best to introduce myself into this string of discussions. My father's mother (Torbe) and father (Khait) both immigrated from Linkuva in the 1890's (think I have that right), as did his grandfather earlier (and possibly also his grandmother), all to St. Louis, MO. His grandfather adopted the name Rosenthal, thus the family name here in America.

3/26/2021 at 9:08 AM

Private User
I believe Torbe = Traub, as I have been researching that name of late, but not in Linkuva ---though the surname is definitely present there.

Private User
3/26/2021 at 10:06 AM

Yes, to my knowledge Traub is the surname some Torbe siblings adopted upon emigration from Linkuva to Johannesburg SA. My wife and I actually traveled to Clearwater FL to meet and spend an afternoon with a Torbe 2nd cousin who had immigrated from Johannesburg to Clearwater maybe 20 years ago. I had discovered him through another highly genealogically-talented non-blood cousin I'd discovered earlier on Geni, she and her husband driving down from Gainesville FL to make it a very memorable 4-party new-family meet.

3/26/2021 at 3:46 PM

There is a large tree of your family on JewishGen, I think in much more detail than what you posted here. Send me an email and I can send you a screenshot. Diane@lawgal.com

Private User
3/26/2021 at 5:37 PM

My great-grandfather, Israel Wasserman, and his father Jacob, were "Transferred to Joniskelis from Linkuva with Izrail by the order of March 28, 1881." from Linkuva. Not sure what that means...

Private User
3/27/2021 at 9:03 PM

Hi Diane, composed an email to you, please let me know if not received. Thanks ...

Private User
3/27/2021 at 9:07 PM

Hey Max, you may recall we’ve communicated in the past. I’ll forward what you’ve asked here, maybe get lucky. Will let you know if so.

Private User
3/28/2021 at 6:55 AM

Stanley, so likely our shared DNA is from the Linkuva area?

Private User
3/28/2021 at 6:59 AM

Stanley, I have our e-mail back to June 2018. It was your connection with Irv Slott. That was the family my great-grandfather, Israel Wasserman, married into in Joniskelis.

Private User
3/29/2021 at 7:29 AM

Max, I don't think we'd completed that connection before. Always fascinating. Way over my head, but fascinating ...

Private User
3/29/2021 at 7:55 AM

Max, I passed your comment re "transferred to Joniskells from Linkuva ..." onto Ellen Robin Dickstein here on Geni, a relative on the Torba side from Linkuva, here's her comment: "Not sure what information that Max is looking for. Does he want to know about his great grandfather or why he was transferred to Joniskelis from Linkuva? Also, I wonder if he was in the military. I think that there were restrictions or where Jews could travel and maybe live. And there were these internal passports I think. I will forward to my cousin Ben and see if he knows."

Does any of that peak your interest? Ellen's here on Geni and quite knowledgeable (compared to me, a downright expert).

Private User
3/30/2021 at 3:37 AM

It was the word "order" implying some type of government expulsion but no reason behind it and why it was just the two of them

6/19/2021 at 5:56 AM

@Max Jews were often forcibly relocated by the various powers-that-be

Showing all 13 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion