Elizabeth Baker (Terrell) - Duplicate Profile

Started by Debbie Gambrell on Monday, April 19, 2021
Problem with this page?

Participants:

Profiles Mentioned:

Showing all 4 posts
4/19/2021 at 9:40 AM

This appears to be the same person. She's an ancestral aunt on my youngest son's paternal side, so I don't know anything about them really. However, everything is the same except her husband,

Elizabeth "Betty" Newton

4/19/2021 at 9:42 AM

And there's a third one:

Elizabeth Baker

4/19/2021 at 10:47 AM

This is the only source I've found other than personal trees:

https://books.google.com/books/about/Descendants_of_Giles_Newton_I....

But none of the sources, trees or book, indicate Elizabeth Terrell had more than one husband, but it definitely seems this is either the same woman or people have gotten them confused.

4/19/2021 at 11:08 AM

Based on what little documentation I can discover, I don't believe Elizabeth (Terrill) Baker is the same person as Elizabeth (Terrell) Newton and that they've just become confused in some trees.

Most of what I've seen on Elizabeth (Terrill) Baker consistently shows her maiden name as Terrill and her dates in this range:

BIRTH 28 JANUARY 1734 • Buncombe County, North Carolina, Colonial America

DEATH 1785 • Chowan County, North Carolina, Colonial America

Whereas Elizabeth (Terrell) Newton shows

Date of Birth: January 28, 1735
Chowan County, Province of North Carolina, Colonial America

Death: October 15, 1807 (72)

Baker always has the Terrill spelling and Newton always has the Terrell spelling.

I think the nearest of their maiden names and dates of birth is the likely source of the confusion. It seems pretty conclusive who Elizabeth (Terrell) Newton's parents were but nothing seems to validate them as the parents of Elizabeth (Terrill) Baker.

They definitely need some notes and/or documentation in their About sections to clarify things.

Showing all 4 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion