Sir Richard Bray, Kt. - Richard Bray a different scenario

Started by Nick Alexander on Monday, April 26, 2021
Problem with this page?

Participants:

Profiles Mentioned:

Showing all 5 posts
4/26/2021 at 12:06 PM

Please see below which is the result of my recent researches. The key to this is that Margaret Beaufort, the mother of King Henry VII grew up at Bletsoe Castle and took Reginald Bray into her household when she married her second husband Henry Stafford in 1458.
There are over a hundred refences to the Brays in Bedfordshire in the 13th and 14th Centuries, mostly at Silsoe.
Richard Bray was NOT born at Furness Fells Lancashire. His first wife was NOT the daughter of William Sandis of Esthwaite Furness Fells as shown in the Cumberland Visitation.
RICHARD BRAY
Richard Bray: born c1405 at either Chiswick Middlesex or Silsoe Bedfordshire
Father John Bray, son of Sir Thomas de Bray of Chiswick (MP for Middlesex 1391)
Mother not known. Place and date of death not known, but probably at Betsoe (or
Silsoe) Bedfordshire before 1465.
Wed (1) c 1430 to Margaret Sandys dau of Sir Walter Sandys, son of Sir John Sandys, and
Walter’s second wife Margaret Erleigh at East Cholderton, Hampshire.
Child: John Bray the elder, born c1432 at Bletsoe (or Silsoe) Bedfordshire.
Margaret died c1435 at Bletsoe (or Silsoe) Bedfordshire
Wed (2) c1436 to Joan Troughton dau of John & Alice Troughton of Dunstable Bedfordshire.
Joan died at Woking (after 1465) was buried at Guildford Surrey.
Child: Reginald Bray, born c1438 at Bletsoe (or Silsoe) Bedfordshire. Became chief
adviser to Margaret Beaufort at Woking Surrey and then Chief Counsel to her son
King Henry VII. Married Katherine Hussey, younger dau of Nicholas Hussey of
Harting near Petersfield Hampshire. No children. Acquired many properties in
Bedfordshire in the 1480s. Died 1503.
Child: Alice Bray, born c1444 at Bletsoe (or Silsoe) Bedfordshire. Married Richard
Hyde c1465 probably at Woking Surrey.
Child: Joan Bray, born c 1450 at Bletsoe (or Silsoe) Bedfordshire. Married Isaak ap
Rhese c1475 probably at Woking Surrey.
Child: John Bray the younger born in or before 1462 at Woking Surrey. Father of Edmund Bray, Edward Bray, Reginald Bray and possibly others.
Nick Alexander

5/1/2021 at 11:45 AM

You just gave me back a whole bunch of names I had on my chart but eliminated because someone said something else. Fortunately, I keep them all. It will take some effort, but I will dig them out again. Honestly, I find this kind of thing very frustrating. And because I live in Mexico, my resources are limited to Geni and similar sights. What a luxury it would be to live in UK for a few years of research on that side of my family and then go to Scandinavia to work on the other side. The two sides come together and then move apart many times, and I want to know it all, but I hesitate because I’m afraid I’ll later find that it was all based on inaccuracies. Thank you for sharing your work. I’m sorry it took so long for me to find the time to sit down and really absorb it.

5/2/2021 at 1:32 AM

Just a small correction to my previous message. John Bray the younger must have been born at Bletsoe (or Silsoe) Bedfordshire before his father died there and must have moved to the Woking area with his mother and two sisters to join Reginald after Richrad Bray died.
It is significant that Reginald asked in his Will for prayers for his mother Joan who was buried at Guildford (a few miles from Woking) but not for his father who we must presume was buried in Bedfordshire.
I have said "Bletsoe (or Silsoe)" because there are lots of Brays at Silsoe and only a few at Bletsoe where Margaret Beaufort spent her childhood. Bletsoe and Silsoe are about fifteen miles apart along the King's Highway between London and Leicester.
If you wish to send me an email address I can send you a full report on the Brays in Bedfordshire. Mine is nandaalexander@btopenworld.com
Yours
Nick Alexander

5/5/2021 at 7:48 PM

Yes, thank you. I would appreciate that. Please send it to klsterndahl@yahoo.com

8/18/2022 at 1:33 PM

In 1427, John Bray, father of Richard, acquired Dillington Manor about eight miles from Bletsoe. John's father Sir Thomas Bray had served in the same Parliament as Sir John Sandys of Hampshire. Contact between the families was renewed through the Waweton family who served in Parliament with both Sir John Sandys and with his son Walter Sandys. The Wawetons lived at Great Staughton two miles from Dillington.. Richard Bray married Walter Sandys' daughter Margaret in about 1430. It is now suggested that Richard Bray was employed by the Beauchamp family at Bletsoe Castle and that Richard's first two sons John the elder and Reginald were educated at Bletsoe alongside Lady Beauchamp's children from her first marriage and Margaret Beaufort her child from her second marriage. I suggest that this is how Margaret Beaufort came to employ Reginald Bray as her chief adviser during her subsequent marriages. My researches continue

Showing all 5 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion