Alexander Colbert (Calvert) - History of Alexander Colbert/Calvert

Started by Dr. Jon Ira Williams on Wednesday, April 28, 2021
Problem with this page?

Participants:

Profiles Mentioned:

Showing all 2 posts
4/28/2021 at 9:08 PM

Alexander son of William Calvert Planter - William b 1666, of Wm 1742

From the records I have sorted through, this is a glimpse of my thoughts on who these Calverts and Colberts were in Eastern Shore MD. Laree and I were looking at many Calvert lines and this is a brief on why I think as I do about William Calvert, Planter, Somerset County, Coventry Parish, MD.

I am convinced in my heart that William Calvert b 1666, son of William Calvert b 1642/3 lived to adulthood and married a Robinson. I think my logic is at least sound. It accounts for Calverts who are over eastern shore and no one is looking for them at least of William Calvert 1666 and possibly RIchard.

It explains William Calverts line and where some of this went and has not been followed very much if at all. I have not begun to sort that but I am thinking some of Richards line are here plus perhaps up at Kent county, etc. At least I think that I am seeing a pattern here that matches Who, in my mind is William of 1766, tied back to Baltimore and then on to Stafford. But even more because of all the surnames there in Somerset...Powell Athey Doyne Cornwell(many more)who else a bunch of them. And no one is up in the far NE eastern shore counties either. WHy not?

This will take a lot more work to look at Richards line as I have this William 1766. But here is why I think what I do:

1. Evidence 1766/7. There is a court record of a suit filed in behalf of William Calvert infant. We know that William Calvert married by 1661/2. We know the order of Children. Wiliam Calvert addressed by legal right to legal claim in this court record. I have a transcript of this Record.
2. William Calvert Executor of the estate of William Robinson, 1797. Of course, this must be conjecture--William married one of William Robinsons Daughters. Court record of 1796/97. I have a transcript of this record.
3. This I do not have a copy of but I know of communication between EFG and JBCN Communicating about William Calvert b 1766 and apparently addressing that he was alive in 1798 or something of this nature. This would mean they both recognized that William of 1766 needed to be traced. In these exchanges EFG discussed the surname Colbert. this is apparently due to Ella finding Rhodham this way, by using the surname Colbert. Moreover, I have found since, the Will of William Burgess, Sally Burgess' father. In this filed/Proved 1731 1733, Sally is the wife of Rhodam...this changes the picture of who the mother is of which of Rhodhams Children. A fellow researcher is digging hard at this based upon the change of focu and other input from other Calvert researchers.

I believe Ella is of course seeing records but hadn't followed them on Colberts--time, money, etc.

4. There is a William Calvert in a birth record in some book, I can't recall the book, b 1690(I probably have this stashed somewhere. it was a Maryland Record).
5. A William Calvert is assigned a guardian in 1707 if I recall correctly(this is a record you had. It referred to the Robinsons not liking who was assigned as guardian> Or maybe it was the Stones--I cannot locate this document so this is something I will have to post in the future when I find it. It is why I have posted queries on the Will of Elizabeth Stone Calvert.

6. William Calvert Planter court record of 1726 and 1733.
7. WIlliam Calvert 8 of 11 Tax lists, 1730-1740.
8. Nancy Colbert widow in court records
10. The following given names of record. WHere (2) is listed, it means there are two of them of different years for example:

Levin Colbert William, George, Isaac, William3, Levin2, Alexander Alexander2 Nicholas or Michael. Others.
11. Ethelbert Doyne with Jesse or Joshua mentioned in Ethelbert Doyne, thus tying to Elizabeth Doyne and Robert Doyne of Ireland(transcribed document)
12. John Calvert b 1742
13. William Colbert b 1768 married Bridgett Howard

items 6-13 are found in various forms from my research on the eastern shore of MD and various records.

14. William Calvert? EFG 1757 m Elizabeth Nodding. She did speculate he came down from PA after moving there from MD(EFG, Census, other books, etc). Descendents of this family end up in MO. They believe they are descended possibly from a John Calvert b c 1740. This ties into the potential brothers of my Isaac Calvert b c 1745. No proof just family stuff and letters, etc.
15. William Calvert, Flying circus military Record Rev War
17. All the other Calverts we know are listed(my Somerset and Eastern Shore research).
18. William Calvert who received Bounty lands, Mercer Co PA.
(I don'thave this document yet but Darrell Elliott says he has a copy).

I think there is enough evidence to say that William Calvert, Planter should at least be suspected of being the son of William Calvert b 1766, that William Calvert of 1666 lived to 1707 and that he had a son William born 1790 circa
and this son is in court in 1707/8 and is William Calvert, Planter of Somerset. I don't believe Nicklin worked on his line for whatever reason he didn't. EFG did not do so either, but as I noted, they wrote back and forth about William 1. 666

From the Records available, I think that William Calvert, Planter dies and leaves widow Nancy who was a Handy. Levin1, Alexander, George, and a couple of the female Calverts of record are part of this nuclear family. the way that I see it the birth order is something like this:

Levin c 1715-20, George same period, Perhaps another WIlliam. Alexander 1724. whom After?

Then down to Alexander Calvert who married Mary Wheeler in 1744: He has a WIlliam, Isaac, Alexander, Jane, Betty, Belle, Mary and Michael. The latter two are my asosciation and Jane and Mary are identified by the Colberts. Belle I found recently and that is why the Colberts had Betty 1756 and Elizabeth 1759--this is Belle not Betty or Elizabeth, Michael is at Dividing Creek with
Alexander N in 1800 or 1810, adding another Calvert, next door to Alexander Neal, son of Isaac. I think this is another son.

If any of this rings a bell with anyone, I will share what I have.

David

6/15/2021 at 4:40 PM

At this time, and 15 years after this research was done, I have no proof that WIilliam Calvert(c 1666) was the father of the William Calvert, Planter of Somerset County MD. I still think this may be true but I have found no further evidence that this is the case. Nor does our project have any DNA which proves the point one way or the other.

Showing all 2 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion