Saint Gertrude, abbess of Hamage - There are two Gertrudes here - one born in Douai, the other in Bavaria

Started by Sharon Elizabeth Richards on Tuesday, May 4, 2021
Showing all 11 posts
5/4/2021 at 10:07 AM

If the Abbess of Hamage was the daughter of a nobleman of Douai (which i believe to be correct) then she was not Gertrude of Bavaria these people need to be sorted out. - The only source which remains un-translated is the one in French which suggests these same conclusions.

Private User
5/4/2021 at 12:28 PM
Private User
5/4/2021 at 12:38 PM

According to this source, it was Theudebald (not Garibald I) who married Waldrada of Lombardy.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Theudebald

Private User
5/4/2021 at 1:10 PM

Garibald was Waldrada's second husband. He was the head of the Agilolfings, and the ancestor of the Bavarian dynasty that ruled the Kingdom of the Lombards.

Waldrada was the daughter of the Lombard king Wacho. Her first husband, Theudebald (aka Theobald or Thibault) was a Merovingian king of Austrasia (in northern France).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Garibald_I_of_Bavaria

9/29/2021 at 1:48 PM

@ ok, well maybe three Gertrudes.

Gertrude, The Abbess of Nivelles was the daughter of Pepin, the Elder and Itta. Mother and daughter founded this Abbey, the mother became a nun and the daughter, the Abbess.

Gertrude, Abbess of Hamage, is the daughter of a nobleman of Douai, who first married Ricimer of Burgundy. Douai is located in Northern France close to the Belgian border and is definitely not Bavaria. The Abbey of Hamage is located in Douai. Geni would have this Gertrude be the daughter of Theodebald of Bavaria (who was clearly not of Douai).

The Foundation for Medieval Genealogy, under "Dukes of Bavaria" shows
...THEODO, son of --- . THEODO III Duke of Bavaria 640. The Annales Ducum Bavariæ name (in order) "Theodo…Theodo [et] Theodebertum" as Dukes of Bavaria[51]. The mid-13th century Series Ducum Bavariæ lists, in order, the dukes from 514 as Theodo "dux primus", Theodo II, "Garibaldus rex", Tassilo [I] dux, Theodo III "quem sanctus Ruodbertus baptizavit"…[52]. Presumably "sanctus Rudobertus" refers to Ruotbert who was the first Abbot and Bishop of Salzburg from 696 to 717. If this is correct, this baptism cannot refer to Duke Theodo III, the dates being more consistent with Duke Theodo V (see below). Some corroboration for the baptism of a duke Theodo is provided by the Excerpta Altahensia, which records the baptism in 580 of "Theodonem ducem"[53]. In this case the date of the baptism is much earlier than the likely dates of Duke Theodo III, and falls during the reign of Duke Garibald I. Clearly there is something fundamentally wrong with the chronology....and there is no mention of any wife/daughter named Gertrude.

Gertrude of Bavaria is unattested, not mentioned in FMG or anyplace else that I have located.

-Stamboom genealogies presents Gertrude of Bavaria as the daughter of Waldrada and Clotaire, but (a) they had no children and (b) she would be Gertrude of Austrasia if they did. AND they would have her be the mother of Carloman and grandmother of Pepin the elder-all based on some anonymous Ancestry family tree. -not very believable.

so just who is Gertrude of Bavaria????

Waldrada married Theudebald, King of the Franks, and had a relationship with Chlotaire, his brother. She was then handed off to Garibald of Bavaria upon the insistence of the Bishops who took exception to two brothers "sharing" the same woman.

9/29/2021 at 1:48 PM

@ ok, well maybe three Gertrudes.

Gertrude, The Abbess of Nivelles was the daughter of Pepin, the Elder and Itta. Mother and daughter founded this Abbey, the mother became a nun and the daughter, the Abbess.

Gertrude, Abbess of Hamage, is the daughter of a nobleman of Douai, who first married Ricimer of Burgundy. Douai is located in Northern France close to the Belgian border and is definitely not Bavaria. The Abbey of Hamage is located in Douai. Geni would have this Gertrude be the daughter of Theodebald of Bavaria (who was clearly not of Douai).

The Foundation for Medieval Genealogy, under "Dukes of Bavaria" shows
...THEODO, son of --- . THEODO III Duke of Bavaria 640. The Annales Ducum Bavariæ name (in order) "Theodo…Theodo [et] Theodebertum" as Dukes of Bavaria[51]. The mid-13th century Series Ducum Bavariæ lists, in order, the dukes from 514 as Theodo "dux primus", Theodo II, "Garibaldus rex", Tassilo [I] dux, Theodo III "quem sanctus Ruodbertus baptizavit"…[52]. Presumably "sanctus Rudobertus" refers to Ruotbert who was the first Abbot and Bishop of Salzburg from 696 to 717. If this is correct, this baptism cannot refer to Duke Theodo III, the dates being more consistent with Duke Theodo V (see below). Some corroboration for the baptism of a duke Theodo is provided by the Excerpta Altahensia, which records the baptism in 580 of "Theodonem ducem"[53]. In this case the date of the baptism is much earlier than the likely dates of Duke Theodo III, and falls during the reign of Duke Garibald I. Clearly there is something fundamentally wrong with the chronology....and there is no mention of any wife/daughter named Gertrude.

Gertrude of Bavaria is unattested, not mentioned in FMG or anyplace else that I have located.

-Stamboom genealogies presents Gertrude of Bavaria as the daughter of Waldrada and Clotaire, but (a) they had no children and (b) she would be Gertrude of Austrasia if they did. AND they would have her be the mother of Carloman and grandmother of Pepin the elder-all based on some anonymous Ancestry family tree. -not very believable.

so just who is Gertrude of Bavaria????

Waldrada married Theudebald, King of the Franks, and had a relationship with Chlotaire, his brother. She was then handed off to Garibald of Bavaria upon the insistence of the Bishops who took exception to two brothers "sharing" the same woman.

9/30/2021 at 7:21 AM

Saint Gertrude, abbess of Hamage is my 40th great grandmother.

9/30/2021 at 7:59 AM

Then you would be of the Merovingians, not the Agilofinges

Showing all 11 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion