The Story of the Jews of Prossnitz

Started by John F Schmerler on Wednesday, May 5, 2021
Showing all 2 posts
5/5/2021 at 12:26 PM

Is there an English translation of Dr. Goldschmied's paper about the Jews of Prossnitz, particularly about the 1857 census and how it was conducted? Are the house numbers all from one street and the do the numbers indicate adjacent dwellings?
I am particularly interested in Jakob Lob Brull, my 2nd great grandfather, who is listed as living in household #32.He was born in Gewitsch in 1794 and died in Gewitsch in 1845. He is listed as Unplaced in the census. Why would he be listed in the 1857 census at all if he died in 1845? Five of his children, including my great grandfather, are also listed under his name but they too were born in Gewitsch.
Any help would be appreciated.

5/10/2021 at 6:54 AM

Hi John -- sorry to be slow in responding. I am also a Brull descendant, and I'm the one who did a relatively comprehensive research study on all of the Jewish families of Prostejov. The 1857 is online through badatelna -- it's a part of the Moravian familiant collection. However, if there is something that doesn't tie together here, I'm probably the one who made the error. Email me at robertbhanscom@gmail.com, and I will try and sort this out. I do remember, when I did my research study, there was some confusion between the Brull family of Prostejov and the Brull family that lived in Gewitsch.

Looking forward to hearing from you.

Best regards,

Bob Hanscom
Andover, MA

Showing all 2 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion