Hosie line

Started by Private User on Thursday, May 6, 2021
Problem with this page?

Participants:

• Private User
    Geni member
Private User
5/6/2021 at 10:53 PM

Is there a list of the hostages of the MacDonalds?
My line that I have traced starts in Eastwood parish, Renfrewshire in 1750's Some believe John Hosie's parents came from Mearns, Cathcart but there is no proof! There are Hosies dating to 1600s. But between those ones and 1411 there appears nothing. No records I can find. On 24 July 1411 John Hosie on his way to his wedding, the Battle took place and he joined in! As the MacDonalds retired, he chased them and was captured. He was supposed to have been in the West for several years. When he was released, he headed home to find that his intended had married somebody else. She thought him dead! He went up to the Bennachie where he died of a broken heart. To this day, there is Hosie's Well on the Bennachie where it is said he cried and formed a well! There is a poem by Arthur King about him and Jean. I have checked Clan Donald's Greatest Defeat by John Sadler and Bludie Harlaw by Ian Olson but can't find a reference to John. He had land and 50 head of Kye and so is there land records for the 15C? Was he on his way to Monymusk?
Cheers
John Hosie

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion