Meshach Couch, Jr. - This is wrong

Started by Bradley Steele Couch on Thursday, August 5, 2021
Problem with this page?

Participants:

Profiles Mentioned:

Showing all 9 posts
8/5/2021 at 10:02 PM

This card is a hybrid of Meshack Sr. and Jr. For example, these dates are listed for JR, but are Meshack Sr's dates. This card also has Meshack Jr. married to him Mom. Mary Welch was the wife of Meshack Sr., not Jr. This line looks so messed up I'm not even sure how to go about straightening it out let alone vetting purposed changes.

8/5/2021 at 10:09 PM

What do you have about Mary Welch? The profile for Meshack Jr (1743 - 1824) has:

Per the Guilford County, North Carolina, Marriage Index record, on December 30, 1773, Meshach married Mary Welch, who was born April 16, 1758, in Maryland, daughter of John Welch and Mary Gilbert. Meshach and Mary ultimately would have 13 children, the first few born in Kent County, Delaware, and the majority in Guilford County, North Carolina. …

8/8/2021 at 12:23 AM

The profile is for Meshack no? If this was not Sr. wouldnt the text specify Meshach as Jr or II? It's certainly possible there were 3 Meshacks in succession but I have not found anything to support that yet. And of course, I have had zero luck finding any birth records in England for Meshack (after hundreds of searches). Btw, I see you are in Tucson as well! Rock on! I'd love to meet a couch researcher over tea/coffee?

8/8/2021 at 12:29 AM

Della Dale Smith-Pistelli - what can you tell us about Hannah Ellen Couch & Meshack Sr?

Bradley Steele Couch - sure, in a few weeks? I’m a bit unsettled at the moment.

8/8/2021 at 12:32 AM

No worries. Sent you direct contact info if/when your schedule allows.

8/8/2021 at 8:17 AM

Hello, Erica and Bradley....for Meschack Couch, Jr., born September 8, 1743, died June 3, 1824, all I have is what is shown on his Find A Grave.com memorial and census records from Ancestry.com, per what is shown in his "About" section on the "Overview" tab of his Geni.com profile page. If this information is incorrect, I'll have to regroup and look at this line again, since I originally created his Geni profile 10 years ago in January of 2011. I note in the "history" tab of his "about" profile that I first posted that info on May 1, 2016, and it was last edited by Erica on August 8, 2021.
Best Regards,
Della

8/11/2021 at 6:28 PM

If you go back and take a look at census records and the published Couch Genealogy from Iowa published in 1903 and again around 1953, it states those dates for Meshack. no Jr status listed anywhere. It would make sense that the original Meshack doesnt list "Sr" because he doesn't know he is a Sr until the "Jr" name is given. A Meshack that is Jr, would know he is Jr his entire life and therefore would be consistent in using the Jr moniker. We know the Meshack b. 1743 had a son whom they named Meshack and there were many subsequent Meshacks in the lineage. But I have seen none before him until GENI.COM and so far its been attributed to documents that list Meshack without a Sr. or Jr., which I'd submit means its Meshack Sr, before he became a Sr. IF that is the case, the Meshack b1743 is the Sr. Additionally, I have never seen a Meshack with a birthdate of 1720 until I got on GENI. And again, doesn't make it wrong but why, after being involved with decades of Couch genealogy why have I never seen that date until here? Makes me wonder about the origin of an actual file that shows a Meshack Couch being born in 1720.

8/11/2021 at 6:29 PM

The census record to which are referred above are for Guildford Co, NC for the first half of 1800's until his death.

10/14/2021 at 12:51 AM

For what it is worth, one record on here has Meshack Couch, Jr. Sr dying in Dexter, Dallas Iowa in 1773. This is more proof that this record is not correct. Iowa was not a state until 1864. The Louisiana Purchase did not happen until 1803. There was no such thing as Iowa anytime in the 1700's. I still maintain that the correct birthdate for Meshack Sr. is 1743.

Showing all 9 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion