Margaret Sutherland (Toshack) - Was Margaret really the mother of David and William Sutherland?

Started by Private User on Thursday, August 12, 2021
Problem with this page?

Participants:

Profiles Mentioned:

Showing all 2 posts
Private User
8/12/2021 at 6:43 PM

The entry for Margaret states that Margaret appears with her first husband's name on tax lists "until 1699 ... She then disappears from New York City and a Margaret is seen as ye goodwife of William Sutherland in Quassaick." If "until 1699" means she last appears with her first husband Col. Patrick McGregorie's name in 1699, then this would suggest Margaret was not the mother of William "the Scot" Sutherland's sons David and William, and William "the Scot" Sutherland was previously married. Another possible problem with Margaret being David Sutherland's mother is that David married Mary McGregorie, who based on my information was the daughter of Margaret's son Patrick McGregorie, i.e. David Sutherland married his own half-niece if his mother was Margaret.

10/27/2021 at 10:53 PM

Thanks Mark,

I've looked at the New York City tax registers from December, 1695-July 15th, 1699. They are available here in 2 volumes:

https://catalog.hathitrust.org/api/volumes/oclc/49883159.html

"Mrs. Macgregory" appears in the South Ward from 1695-1697. Then in 1698-1699, a "William Sunderland" appears in the West Ward. To say Margaret appeared with Patrick McGregorie's name until 1699 does not seem to be accurate. We can say that up until 1697, but that's the name the property was registered under in the tax records.

Whether that name can be regarded as an absolute record of her current name during each year through 1697, I'm not convinced without more research. I've found an example where a court record didn't use the current name for a remarried woman. We must also keep in mind we don't seem to have proven birth dates for her alleged Sutherland children based on primary sources. It's interesting that the assumed birth date for William Sutherland Jr. (about 1698) seems to correspond with the same time when Mrs. Macgregory" disappears from the tax register and "William Sunderland" appears in 1698.

Showing all 2 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion