August E. Schaefer - Military Service

Started by Larry W Mayes on Thursday, September 9, 2021
Problem with this page?

Participants:

Profiles Mentioned:

9/9/2021 at 6:32 AM

My Step-Great Grandfather, PVT August E. Schaefer, was in B Co of the 161st Indiana Regiment when it arrived in Cuba in December of 1898 and was mustered out on 30 April 1899. When I knew him, I wasn't yet a teen and had no concept of what it would be like to find information about this man that I loved as if our bloods were the same. It was family talk that I heard that he had lost his left arm and implied that it was Spanish American War related. I never asked and he never reinforced it. Having spent time in Vietnam, I understand that some injuries never get talked about..

From two accounts of the 161st, one says they arrived in Cuba on December 13th and mustered out on 30 April 1899. The second, was that the Regiment arrived; saw not action and all casualties were all from illness.

As for his United States World War I Draft Registrations, 1917-1918. It clearly notes that he lost his left arm and that Georgia Schaefer was his wife. I know that he had two daughters, but where they seem to have disappeared to is somewhere in my notes.

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion