Judith Perkins (Driggers) - Sources?

Started by Laurie Constantino on Saturday, September 11, 2021
Problem with this page?

Participants:

Profiles Mentioned:

Showing all 7 posts
9/11/2021 at 12:24 PM

Can anyone please provide a source for the existence of John Perkins born 1670 in Accomack County VA and his wife Judith Driggers born circus 1680 at the “Choawn and Meherrin Rover confluence”? I’ve looked extensively for them and can find no evidence of their existence. I’ve seen evidence that Thomas Driggers, the son of Emanuel Driggers, was married to Sarah George but no evidence he was married to “Francis (Wingina)” or had a daughter named Judith. For Judith, it lists as sources the “will of Thomas Bryant; Dissertation on Yeopim; Pouncey and Pagr information in Wills and Deed books.” I’d love to see these documents; can you please tell me where I might find them? Thank you very much for any help you can provide.

9/11/2021 at 2:12 PM

David thank you and the team for all the hard work on my GGparents 💓

9/11/2021 at 8:19 PM

David, thank you very much for answering. However, I’m now even more confused. Are you saying the names John Perkins and Judith Driggers are made up? That’s what it sounds like, but I may have misunderstood.

My ultimate concern is why you tied the hyoothetical Josn and Judith to my 7th great-grandmother Esther Perkins. She was a “free mulatto” woman living and working in Accomack County Virginia. She first appears in the Accomack records when she had a “bastard child” in 1730. She had a series of additional children, all (or most) of whom she indentured to a man named Janes Gibson.

One of Esther’s sons, and my 6th great-grandfather, was named Joshua Perkins, nicknamed Old Jock in an 1858 Tennessee trial. Old Jock’s father is unknown. He had 5 sons. I’ve done Y-700 tests on descendants of them all and they match each other. They are of clear African descent on their paternal line.

It appears Joshua’s unknown father may have been a descendant of Emanuel Driggers, but this has yet to be proven. We are continuing to do y-dna testing of male line Driggus/Driggers descendants whenever we find them.

In any case, there is no evidence of who Esther’s parents were or that she was in any way of indigenous American descent. I’m concerned by her apparently evidence-free inclusion in your project.

Moreover, who you have as Esther’s descendants confabulate two women named Esther Perkins who were born almost 100 years apart. There are many other demonstrably incorrect assertions made about Esther Perkins and her descendants in the current Geni profile.

How can I help get Esther’s profile fixed?
Laurie

Private
9/11/2021 at 9:27 PM

That was curated yesterday, by Erica. Problem solved.

Private
9/11/2021 at 9:38 PM

If anyone has any kits they would want to share from Gedmatch, we can likely help with the Gibson connection.

9/12/2021 at 8:56 AM

You know my kit is BY8170743

9/16/2021 at 10:15 AM

Mine is RL048381C1

My son Len Ingram's is DM7033472

Len has this Gibson line on his paternal side via their Evans / Gibson ancestors. I share the Evans line side with them but the Gibson side there is the inlaw connection for me.

The direct Gibson ancestry on my side is up my mother's paternal grandmother's Sumrall lines and is a different family, as far as I've seen.

Showing all 7 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion