Mary Ann Gillmore - The Gilmore family from County Down

Started by Denis Gilmore on Sunday, September 19, 2021
Problem with this page?

Participants:

Profiles Mentioned:

Showing all 5 posts
9/19/2021 at 8:03 PM

Hi there
Denis Gilmore is my name and my original family from County Down, David Gilmore born in Killinchy on the 22/9/1807 his father was David and his mother Isabella (Collins) Gilmore. In 1837 David met and married Jane Young (born 8/2/1816) in 1837. Jane's parents were David and Sarah Young nee Kelly. In 1838 they sailed on the 'Mandarin' to NSW as bounty imigrants to work for a Mr Simon Lloyd at Newcastle for one year for 30 pounds a year. They eventually settled in the Manning River District and farmed on Mitchel Island. One son, another David, married Ann Michael andfarmed at Copmanhurst. So if this of any help or if there is any relationship I don't know, but I written book on my family covering a time line from the 1700's up to 1949 called 'The Life and Times in the Gilmore Family' Part One, so if you want a copy on DVD or stick let me know and I will send you copy
Yours sincerely
Denis Gilmore

9/20/2021 at 3:42 AM

Hi Denis
I am not sure if we have any connection.. my great great grandmother was Mary Gilmore who died 22 Sep 1865 at Dunn’s Plains, Rockley, NSW,Australia.

Her Death Transcription shows that she was born in Co. Antrim, Ireland and that she arrived in the Australian Colonies in 1840 on board the Convict Ship Margaret 3.

Her father was James Tallman and her mother was Alice Gilmore. As she used Gilmore for her maiden name, it can be fairly safely assumed that her mother and father were not married.

So I am not sure if you have an Alice or Mary Gilmore in your research - would love to know if we have a connection and your book sounds fascinating!
Cheers Trish

9/20/2021 at 5:48 PM

Great to hear from you Trish. like you finding any family history about the Gilmore clan in Island leads you up many false paths, but Antrim figures a lot in my family Gilmore histoery, the hardest was there are somany David Gilmore males and I was suposed to be another, anyway I ahve spent about 25 years searching which was very fasinating and frustrating at times, but I can send you my story which is not laid oud out like a family tree but as story with many photos and stories I have gathered in that time, it is also over 280 pages so it is a long read. one rllie said it was more like a history lesson as I wrote about what was happening around them in NSW and around the world. As wrote you can have a copy on DVD or USB stick and download it and add to it as you wish.

9/21/2021 at 2:55 AM

Hi Dennis
Oh i certainly know about false paths.. been on many!! lol I would love to see your story.,..it sounds fascinating!! hopefully i can make a connection - bound to be one seeing that we both have gilmores from Antrim.. is it able to be emailed?? my email address is trishsanson@bigpond.com

Cheers Trish

9/21/2021 at 5:19 PM

Hi Thris
I have tried before but the files are too big as there are many photos plus there is Part 2 covering 1950 to 1986 then Part 3 which is ongoing. I have written three othe books all on music with Part One in the National Library in Canberra so if you want I can put them onto athe USB stick or DVD as well.
Cheers
Denis

Showing all 5 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion