Lady Elizabeth Killigrew (Trewinnard) - Not a Pirate?

Started by Linda Wellman on Thursday, October 14, 2021
Problem with this page?

Participants:

Profiles Mentioned:

Related Projects:

Showing all 3 posts
10/14/2021 at 4:42 PM

If you google "Elizabeth Killigrew, pirate" what comes up is Mary Wolverton, Lady Killigrew, who, i believe is Elizabeth's daughter-in-law, m. to John Killigrew IV.

Wikipedia states that several sources have erred in naming Elizabeth Killigrew (Trewinnard) as a pirate. She is, also, referred to as Mary/Elizabeth Killigrew.

Is this correct & should Elizabeth's About section info be transferred to Mary Wolvertton's profile?

10/14/2021 at 10:44 PM

Hi Linda, I have always understood Lady Elizabeth Kiiligrew to be the "pirate" referred to in various profiles, and dates differ from site to site. Personally, I have never put much faith in Wikipedia as a reliable source. Each of us needs to decide how many is enough different sources to satisfy whether a link is reliable or not. My credo is "as many as possible". I hope I am some help.
Regards, Bill Capper.

Private User
10/18/2021 at 12:09 PM

Hi Linda, I can't find the source I used right now (I'm away from home at the moment) but if memory serves then piracy became a sort of family business that Elizabeth, her sons (and later their wives etc.) all took up. The Elizabeth/Mary thing is because the women's names were less recorded but a quick check of dates should clear up which one is which.
If you're interested in further research online a great place to look are local history blogs which are usually very good about tagging their sources and tend to dive quite deeply into the Killigrew family. Again, if I remember when I get back I'll link a few that might be of interest.
Hope that's helpful!
All the best,
Bea

Showing all 3 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion