Sarah (Bloom) Cohen - Parents

Started by Private User on Saturday, October 16, 2021
Problem with this page?

Participants:

Profiles Mentioned:

Showing 1-30 of 107 posts
Private User
10/16/2021 at 7:41 AM

Where does the info she is the Daughter of Herbert Bloom and Freida (Kamm) Bloom come from??

I have found a Marriage record that looks like it might be for her, but different parents:
Marriages Registered in the City of Boston For the Year 1904 includes No. 5200
David E Cohen - Age 22 -- Father: Harris Cohen -- Mother: Rosie Verovitz
Sadie Bloom - Age 20 -- Father: Harry Bloom -- Mother: Bessie Kaplan

Private User
10/16/2021 at 2:14 PM

Sarah's 1962 obit - definitely this Sarah - same children, late husband - says she is "sister of Mary Sigel of New York, N.Y. and Lillian Drosd of Miami Beach, Florida"
In her SSN Application, Lillian has her parents as Herbert and Rose.

Golda Rose Levy Burke - any thoughts on the marriage record I refer to above?

10/16/2021 at 4:24 PM

What else do we know - census, Immigration?

10/16/2021 at 5:20 PM

I don't see anything showing Sarah as Sadie.

on another note - it looks like Mitchell married Frieda Kamm to her brother Emil.

On Lillian's Immigration record - she is joining her brother David in Boston. I doubt she would have said her half-brother even if it is true.

Herbert died in Lithuania. We assume that his wives did also?

Always more questions.

Private User
10/16/2021 at 5:56 PM

Hi Golda,

I'm sorry. You know Lilly and Rose were born in VT or MA. Jacob and Mary lied!!!!!!!

Private User
10/16/2021 at 7:18 PM

Golda Rose Levy Burke - Many of my relatives of that time frame who were Sarah used Sadie -
So I see it as a totally normal, usual nickname for Sarah.

On the 1910 Census, we have David E and Sarah C Cohen with their children Frances R age 4, and Leo age 1. Living in Boston, MA. Married 5 years.
Is this them?
We have the Naturalization Petition for David Edward Cohen and it says his wife is Sarah, and gives names and dates of birth of children - it fits with this Census.

I agree, David Walter Bloom is probably the 'brother David Blum' Lillian was going to.
And folks said - and still say - brother when technically it might be half brother.

As to whether or not David's father Herbert ever came to US -- check out this article: Herbert (Herzl) Bloom David Walter Bloom says he came to US with his father in 1893, and his father was naturzlized.

Private User
10/16/2021 at 7:22 PM
Private User
10/16/2021 at 7:26 PM

Please check out for Rose Bloom, Frances Bloom, Helen Bloom and Belle Bloom in America. I saw MyHeritage records

FAKE Siegel

Private User
10/16/2021 at 9:32 PM

Jacob and Mary Lied about Rose Bloom in Russia. I don't want to do. Hurt my feeling.

Private User
10/16/2021 at 9:56 PM

Private User
I have created a Public Discussion for discussing where Rose was born: https://www.geni.com/discussions/239246
This Public Discussion is for discussing who are the parents of Sarah (Bloom) Cohen
Where Rose was born has nothing to do with that, and so is inappropriate here

Private User
10/16/2021 at 11:22 PM

Meanwhile, David Walter Bloom's death record (2 Nov 1956, Tucson, available at Ancestry.com) gives his parents as Hertz Bloom and Frieda (unknown surname). His son David A. Bloom was the informant.

I notice also that "Freida Kamm Bloom Kamm"'s Kamm children allegedly span birth years from the late 1870s to the 1890s. As far as we know, the Bloom siblings were born in the late 1870s-mid-1880s. Presumably Freida wasn't married to two men at the same time and didn't alternate between them. So something is off here, birth years and/or parents.

I suspect that there may have been an incorrect merger of Freida's profile at some point in the past.

The Freida Kamm who was married to Emil Kamm and died in Chicago in 1925 (not 1931) was from Lemberg (Lvov), which is nowhere near Kovno. https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:NQ3K-G83

Is there any real evidence that this woman was ever married to Herzl Bloom?

For what little it's currently worth, a family living in Vilijampole in the late 1800s with very similar family members whom I have reason to believe might be this family (but for a different surname, so I can't swear it's them, though the surname is the one attributed to Herzl Bloom's other [?] wife) had a matriarch named Rokhe Feige (daughter of David Vulf), which could perhaps explain the use of both "Rose" and "Frieda" in anglicized records. (Even if this is the wrong family, a double name is still possible.) But I have no idea where "Bessie Kaplan" might come from.

10/17/2021 at 5:44 AM

I have been scouring the internet for those Census records. We are closing in on this. So much fun!

10/17/2021 at 6:19 AM

Lillian (Lilly) Drosd Lillian was briefly married to a Jack Kaufman later on, Mitchell did say that Herbert had 3 wives.
Anyone read Rudolph's autobiography? I think I will look for it - I know it is on Amazon.

10/17/2021 at 1:41 PM

Are you all familiar with the Bloom Southwest Archives? The Univ of AZ has a Jewish History Museum and much of the Bloom (and Ferrin) family's information can be found there.

Private User
10/17/2021 at 2:51 PM

Martha Ferrin-Fernandez - Wow!
Is it online, or does one have to go in person?
Do you have info you can share?

Private User
10/17/2021 at 4:23 PM

Private User , you might be looking for this: https://swja.library.arizona.edu/

The finding aids are digitized, but a lot of the materials seem to be in scrapbooks and would require in-person research.

Private User
10/17/2021 at 4:29 PM
Private User
10/17/2021 at 4:43 PM

Do we know when Sarah arrived in the U.S., maybe from census records? Maybe we can find a passenger manifest for her.

Private User
10/17/2021 at 4:43 PM
Private User
10/17/2021 at 4:52 PM

Meanwhile, I'm still looking for David Walter Bloom 's arrival. I've tried searching Boston arrivals on Blum and variants, David and variants, etc., for several years around 1894, but so far no dice. It's possible that I've just missed the winning combination, or that something was mistranscribed.

Private User
10/17/2021 at 5:00 PM

I did not believe Rose was born in Lithuania.

Private User
10/17/2021 at 5:38 PM

Private User , this thread is about Sarah Bloom Cohen's parents (who are presumably also David Walter Bloom's and Mary Bloom SIegel's and Lilly Bloom Drosd's parents). It's not about Rose Siegel.

Do you have any information or sources to add about the parents of Sarah, David, Lilly, and Mary Bloom?

Private User
10/17/2021 at 5:54 PM

I know Mary Bloom was born in Lithuania on other Geni Tree. I am waiting until Mike will fix it up on my Tree. Be patience.

Private User
10/17/2021 at 6:06 PM

I knew Rose was born in NYC

Private User
10/17/2021 at 6:12 PM

Jacob and Mary Siegel LIED!!!!

10/17/2021 at 6:18 PM

Private User
I do not have any other info, sadly. I had spoken to one of the Blooms (it may have been Dave) years ago, trying to learn about my Ferrin great grandparents and while I got a lot of Bloom history, he didn’t know much about the Ferrin side. I may still have the notes from that conversation packed Sm downstairs, I’ll try to find them this week.
Off topic: Are you any relation to Barry Lubin (retired Ringling Bros clown)?

Private User
10/17/2021 at 6:34 PM

My wife's birth certificate was FRAUD in Cook County, Illinois (my wife is related to Jacobson) from Arthur Harold Ferrin in Arizona, Chicago and Denmark.

Private User
10/17/2021 at 6:37 PM

We found my wife's bio father in 2018.

Private User
10/18/2021 at 12:54 PM

Martha Ferrin-Fernandez I did not see your mtDNA and YDNA on Ferrin family autosomal DNA matches. Are you parent of Ferrin via GedMatch?

Showing 1-30 of 107 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion