MAIDEN NAMES

Started by Diana Raquel Sainz Wilson on yesterday
Problem with this page?

Participants:

Showing all 5 posts
yesterday at 4:07 PM

I am just putting this out there. In every genealogy cou#rse and certification I have taken, RULE NUMBER ONE, ALWAYS USE THE WOMAN'S MAIDEN NAME!
If you do not know it, leave it blank. This includes the "display name" field, especially on Geni.

First, in many countries, women did not and do not take on a man's name and never have.
Second, we are not now looking at microfilm in the LDS facility, we are on the internet. When you even add the maiden name in parenthesis, this confuses the search engines and will pull up the wrong people.

The display section should be solely her maiden name... aka name at the time of birth. If you take out the "married" name and just keep the maiden name, you will be surprised at how much easier your search will be.

Secondly, if you have a large family and the had daughters named Hannah, Mary Polly, Sarah etc... and the son's marry other Hannah's, Mary's, or Sarah's and you put in the display name section her married name and or in addition to her maiden name, you will get a mess. Each field looks for information that you have entered.

Many times the woman or man married several times, and to the same first named person. So a Robert Smith who has a sister named Sarah Smith and married 3 different Sarah's and you have put Smith in the display name field, you are going to get a mess. That is how search engines work... So, that is the technical issue.

BUT MORE IMPORTANTLY, PUTTING HER MARRIED NAME IN ANY OTHER FIELD THAN THE APPROPRIATE FIELD ON A TREE IS INCORRECT IN GENEALOGY. ARGUE ALL YOU WANT WITH ME. BUT I KNOW ALL TOO WELL THAT EACH OF YOU HAS GOTTEN CONFUSED LOOKING AT A TREE WHERE THE MAIDEN NAME IS NOT THE PRIMARY LAST NAME. IT IS NOT HER NAME AT THE TIME OF DEATH, IT IS AT THE TIME OF BIRTH, AND IF UNKNOWN,... BLANK.... (Adding Mrs. Smith does not help.)

I have spoken to many curators about this and they agree, now I am putting it out there because it has become a problem in this tree. So those curators or men that "like" the man's last name as the woman's because it's a family thing or because women were property or because it became a law in the 9th century in England, get over it, it is incorrect. The maiden name should be the only name in the "surname" "birthname" and "display name" fields.

I have vented. Thanks.

Diana

yesterday at 4:29 PM

I don't know what curators you have talked to, but this is not the standard on Geni.

Geni has fields that are purpose built to contain the information that is appropriate. Last name field is for the surname used at death. If the profile is still living it should be the current last name used. Birth surname is exactly what it is, surname at birth.
This is universal no matter what kind of profile it is. Geni has name preferences so that it can format the display of the name data in the format you would like to see it. Display name shouldn't be used as method to force your name format preferences on other users. Keep it blank unless there is a good reason to override the system.

My great great grandfather was born an Olsson, but after moving to USA changed his last name to Bergquist. Ignoring the vast majority of his life and only recognizing his birth surname would be wrong.

yesterday at 5:51 PM

As a genealogist I agree completely with you Diana Raquel Sainz Wilson I have told Mike at Geni many times that having a namefield called "Lastname at birth" is completely wrong and that Geni is almost alone in the genelogical community to have such a namefield. I have also asked Mike to get rid of this field since it's only making a mess to us genealogists.

I disagree completely with Jonathan Scott Krengel that Geni has fileds that are purpose built. to contain the information that is appropriate. Last name field, genealogically, is not for the surname at death, but for the surname at birth. Geni has made the name fields uncertaine, uninventive and unsupportive of the genealogical standard, which is incomprehensible for us genealogists.

Jonathan Scott Krengel if your great grandfather was born an Olsson, his lastname genealogically should be Olsson. Then when he changed his lastname later in life, that should be written in the AKA field on Geni, which is genealogically correct, as long as the namefields are as they are on Geni at this moment.

Hopefully, Geni will change their namefields to become more like the genealogical standard and have the possibility to add multiple names according to both time and source. But as of now, Geni is lacking bigtime compared most offline genealogical software.

yesterday at 6:17 PM

if you want to view only maiden names then you can change your name preferences to birth surname instead of last name.

https://www.geni.com/account_settings/name_preferences

the vast majority of us prefer using married surnames. i dont know who these many curators you are referring to are besides Remi.

Private User
Today at 12:02 AM

Remi is quite alone about that. He have the option show surname at birth only if that is his wish without destroying for others.

We need to fully use the fields that we have on Geni, independent of what a Remis program made last millennium is using.

I do however agree with Remi that Geni need a total redesign of the use of names with having multiple complete name fields with a classification (maiden, immigrant, military etc), time period and source option. These names should not be mixed as today. If they ever implement that, it is important to use both the last and maiden name field as of today in Geni to make it possible to automatically convert them to the new format.

However: When Geni introduced a language option to names to solve an alphabet problem I understood that there is a long way to go - My name should be pronounced the same independent of what alphabet it is using. Only when including language dependent titles, like in display name it is needed, but that can be solved by a classification. A person is not born as a King og President, - he/she is that only for a time-period.

Showing all 5 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion