John Vojkovich (Vojković) - Multilingual fields

Started by Private User on Monday, May 16, 2022
Problem with this page?

Participants:

Profiles Mentioned:

Showing all 5 posts
Private User
5/16/2022 at 7:57 PM

The purpose of these fields is to enter language variants of person's name.
To have them all in the default field (Croatian, Italian, English) is not the right thing to do.

Please use those fields, they are there for a reason.

yesterday at 6:14 PM

Private User Thank you for pointing this out and for your assistance,
May I ask you a further question on the surname changes in the various languages.
1. Do you know why the baptismal records at the catholic church in Vis would have been recorded in Italian? Here the surname is recorded in Italian as Vojcovich.
2. Why would the spelling of the birth surname change when written in Croatian?
3. I was not aware that in English the 'c' was replaced with the 'k' . I knew some spelling was altered in English and assumed it was only the ending 'ch'.
Unfortunately, I have no knowledge of Italian or Croatian. Once again your knowledge and assistance would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Private User
yesterday at 6:33 PM

1) it all depended on individual priest background and education. Some were pro-Italian some not
You have neighbouring villages with records completely different, for example Blato on Korcula is all in Croatian, while city of Korcula is mostly Italian.

Private User
yesterday at 6:35 PM

2) because the priest wrotte it in Italian - Croatian is a fonetic language (every sound has a unique symbol) while Italian is not, they wrote what they think it should be, brcause of it, you will often see variations in spelling

Private User
yesterday at 8:01 PM

C and K sound completely different in Croatian
K sounds like in word ‘key’
C sound from Croatian does not exist in English, it is betweeen z and s

Showing all 5 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion