Started by Private User on today
Problem with this page?

Participants:

Profiles Mentioned:

Related Projects:

Showing all 8 posts
Private User
Today at 4:51 PM

King David of Israel is my 104th great-grandfather.

Today at 4:54 PM

Love the old Biblical characters

Private User
Today at 4:55 PM

Elizabeth Liked "Kind David of Isreal is my 104th great-grandfather."

Private User
Today at 5:18 PM

How can someone prove that King David was their ancestor?

Private User
Today at 5:34 PM

The Bible itself contains proof of the lineage and descendants of King David.

Today at 6:02 PM

Private User - you can’t. A direct descent is not provable. Look at the links in your geni path and read the overviews, you’ll see that scholars have described alternatives, for example.

Old Testament genealogy seems internally consistent, it is the links from antiquity that are shady.

King David of Israel is my 9th great aunt's 82nd great grandfather.

Today at 7:57 PM

Mary, you will hear from many on this subject both pro and con. It's a highly controversial topic in the genealogical community that all ancestors must be verified with legitimate sources to prove relatedness, especially as far back as ancient Israel. It's reaĺly a matter of faith in one's personal ancestry, in my opinion. That is why I will include King David in my personal Family tree but not on Geni's shared tree. On a shared family tree like Geni, verification is needed to back up claims of relatedness for the sake of consistency or anyone can put anything in to fill in the blanks. Personally, I consider myself of Jewish Heritage as a descendant of King David, but I respect the views and rules of the sites that create and maintain shared (or community) trees. I agree with your belief system, however, when in Rome, I do as the Romans do... no pun intended! 😉 Also, there is a belief that the genes, after that amount of time, are so far removed from the so-called ancestor in question, that there is no relatedness left. Also debatable but I agree that it is far removed. So, I hope that helps you understand the reasons why people may say that you are not Jewish enough. Then there is Jewish by religion...it's complicated! Personally, I would suggest go with what you believe in your personal tree but I would use caution with what you share in a community tree. I hope this helps.

Showing all 8 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion