Jacob Burkholder, Sr. - Jacob’s birthplace

Начал Kevin Michael Burkholder вчера
Показаны все сообщения (5)
вчера в 5:28 после полудня

I am curious about where Jacob was born. The overview says he was born in Germany. My family research has shown that Ulrich and Esther emigrated to the British colonies and arrived in Pennsylvania in 1732 aboard the ship Samuel on August 11. Ulrich and Esther were on the ships passenger list along with Esther’s sister Susanna and her husband Jacob Guth. Ulrich and Esther are my 7th great grandparents, which would make Jacob my 6th great uncle.I would appreciate any sources that you could share. I have been to the Burkholder Homestead built by Ulrich in 1767, which is only a stones throw away from where I grew up in Lebanon, PA. Thank you for any information you can share. I would love to learn more about my cousins who live in Canada.

вчера в 7:05 после полудня

This is a beautifully written history of Jacob, Sr., who was born in Bern, Switzerland. If you go to that Find a Grave site, you can possibly trace some of your cousins. Enjoy.

https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/121714446/jacob-burkholder

Mother: Esther Scherer 1710 Switzerland - 6 Feb 1790 Pennsylvania
Siblings:
Johannes Burkholder (1734 - 1779)
Christian Burkholder (1734 - 1806)
-----
The Burkholder family came from the Ementhal valley outside Berne, Switzerland. A house and barn standing where the Burkholders farmed has the date 1410 cut into the gable. Many of the family were followers of Menno Simons, who started the Mennonite movement in Holland. The Mennonites were opposed to war and many were imprisoned, exiled or burned at the stake. Jacob Burkholder was born in Switzerland in 1747, but his father moved the family north to Mannheim, Germany on the lower Rhine River to escape persecution. Here, they joined other Palatines and Jacob learned weaving. Jacob and his two brothers, John and Christian sailed for USA in 1765 on the ship Myrtilla. They landed at Philadelphia, 21 September 1765. John and Jacob settled in Lampeter Twp. Lancaster Co. Pennsylvania, while Christian settled near Newbury in Franklin Co. Pennsylvania. Several French Huguenot refugees were among the Myrtilla's 81 passengers, including Abraham and Sophia De Roche. Sophia was a French girl, supposedly of Huguenot descent. Jacob married Sophia De Roche in 1765 in Lancaster Co., Pennsylvania. Their signatures may be seen in Pennsylvania, where they took the oath of allegiance to the British Crown in 1765. Following the American Revolution, Burkholder wished to remain under British rule and after his eldest sons made an exploratory trip to the head of Lake Ontario, Jacob, Sophia and family left Pennsylvania for Canada. With their son Christian as their guide, they came by Conestoga wagon drawn by oxen, crossing at Buffalo and arriving at Niagara in October 1794. They obtained 800 acres on the Hamilton mountain and were the first family to settle east of the Caledonia highway. They settled on the escarpment in the eastern part of Barton Township, on lot 9 concession 6. Eventually in 1817, the various members of the family received crown patents to some 600 acres on lots 8-11 Concession 6 and lots 9-10 Concession 5. In 1808, Jacob was living on Lot 9, Conc. 5, Barton. Jacob's trade as a weaver helped support them in difficult times. During the first winter, Burkholder turned to tailoring to supplement the family income and Peter Horning, who had been wearing buckskins up to this time, was reputedly his first customer. Once settled, the Burkholders espoused the Methodist faith, probably influenced in part by the circuit riders who visited the district. The family made their home available for religious meetings. A family cemetery was established by 1800, the earliest interment being Burkholder's son Joseph, who died of a broken back after falling from a shed roof. The family gave its name to a small community, the Burkholder settlement, which developed at the intersection of what is now Mohawk Road and Sherman Avenue in Hamilton, Ontario. In 1839, a small log building was erected to serve as both church and school. It was replaced by the Mountain Chapel in 1850. This was renamed Burkholder Methodist Church in 1886 and after 1925, became known as Burkholder United Church.
-----------------------------------------
Jacob Burkholder and Sophia De La Roche married in September 1765 in Lancaster Township, Pennsylvania, USA.

Сегодня в 6:21 до полудня

Thanks Susan. I have been using Find a Grave quite a bit especially for cousins and family that are closer to present day. It is a great resource for all of us. I was checking out the burial grounds of the Burkholder Cemetery in Jacob’s line. I enjoyed reading the biography of Jacob. I have actually been to Ulrich and Esther’s home. My family line through Ulrich Jr. stayed in the same area for the last 7 generations. The area was Lebanon Township dating back to at least 1750 which was a part of Lancaster/Dauphin County until Lebanon County was formed in 1813. I have been to the overgrown cemetery where Ulrich and Esther are buried. It is so far gone that only a few headstones are even recognizable anyone. Plus I get poison ivy and that is plentiful there😬 I have been doing research on only my direct lines for the last 20 years and now I’m getting to the aunts/uncles/cousins. Geni and Find a Grave have been extremely helpful. I actually met a cousin about 15 years ago at an art show in Lititz, PA. She sought my wife’s tent out because the pamphlet had the name Burkholder on it. We talked for a while and she was a direct descendant of Jacob and lived in Ontario. I wish I could remember her name, I emailed her a few times but we lost touch. There have been several Ulrich’s who emigrated to Pa and they caused confusion for me for years. There was even a book written called Hidden Treasures about Ulrich and his family’s journey to the New World. It was a good read but the author realized later she had the wrong family of Burkholder’s. The good news is that it is based on Ulrich Burkholder (1719-1786), so it has some good information about Ulrich’s journey to get here. I know Ulrich was born in Switzerland but moved to Germany, I think Gerolsheim, and the family left from there. The Swiss Reformed Church was intolerant of the Anabaptists. They beheaded my direct ancestor Hans Landis. My question though is that I have documentation that Ulrich was living in Lebanon Township in 1750 and emigrated in 1732 when he was 22 and Esther was 20. Is there a part of his history that I am unaware of that has his son Jacob being born in Switzerland and emigrating in 1765? Could we have two different lines connected on Geni?

Сегодня в 6:23 до полудня

Sorry for the typo above, Ulrich 1710-1786. Typing on an iPhone😆

Сегодня в 1:06 после полудня

Also, book is titled Hidden Riches by Romaine Stauffer.

Показаны все сообщения (5)

Зарегистрируйтесь или войдите в систему чтобы участвовать в этом обсуждении