Anne Percy (Floyd) - Anne Percye

Начал Travis Jones вчера
Возникла проблема на этой странице?

Участники:

Упомянутые профили:

Показаны все сообщения (18)
вчера в 3:58 до полудня

Burial:: 30 Jan 1635 Padstow, Cornwall, England. Spouce: mentioned: George Percye.

"England Deaths and Burials, 1538-1991", database, FamilySearch (https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:J82V-PTR : 15 March 2020), George Percye in entry for Anne Percye, 1635.

вчера в 4:59 до полудня

Are you sure this record is for this couple, who lived in Virginia?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/George_Percy

вчера в 9:20 до полудня

https://americanjourneys.org/aj-073/summary/index.asp
The American Journeys Organization reports that Honorable George Percy returned to England in 1612. This Anne Percye buried 1635 would have died just years after George Percy is thought to have passed on.
The name acquiring an ending "e" is a bit perplexing, but was this not the style back then?
IE, Jamestowne?
I think the death should be at least considered earnestly. It is one of the few records that came up with both name George and Anne. Funny that not any public military records for George Percy come up as that American Journey seems to feel that George Percy again was a soldier of England. There does seem to be a missing finger in images of Percy.

вчера в 3:52 после полудня

Nice site, thank you.

Anne Percy Is controversial. I’ve added notes to her profile:

George Percy married Anne Floyd.[4]. The couple had one daughter, Anne Percy, who married Governor John West.

Descendants

Some seventeenth-century pedigrees at Alnwick Castle insist that Percy married Anne Floyd or Lloyd in Virginia, while others include no reference to a marriage. One pedigree compiled around 1673 states categorically that Percy died a bachelor, that he "left noe estate." None of this can be taken at face value. Many family pedigrees from the 1670s were "adjusted" either to refute or sustain the claim of James Percy, who, with the earldom vacant for want of a male heir, maintained that he was descended from one of the ninth earl's brothers. When the genealogist Sir Thomas Banks visited America early in the 1800s he met two brothers in Virginia who claimed descent from Percy. Banks pointed out that if what these men said were true, they would be "the right male heirs of the earldom of Northumberland of the de novo creation, the ancient one being suspended in the crown." The claim seems never to have been pursued in England.

References

• Brenan, Gerald (1902). A History of the House of Percy, from the Earliest Times Down to the Present. London: Freemantle. Vol. II pp. 208–209.Note: This source documents marriage to Anne Floyd, but states that the couple had no children. < Archive.Org > “His death occurred in 1632, a few months after that of Northumberland ; and he does not appear to have left any children by his wife, Ann Floyd. 1. This, however, is not absolutely certain. Ann Floyd remained behind in America after her husband's return to England.
вчера в 3:56 после полудня

(I’m not bothered by the Y ending names in the Cornwall record, just by the location). Idea: there are Online Parish Clerks for many parishes, reachable by email and very helpful, in my experience. Maybe there’s one associated with this record who can be queried for context at the least.

вчера в 4:10 после полудня

Here are references to Anne Floyd, including that she stayed in Virginia when her husband returned to England.

The Noble Lineage of the Delaware-West Family of Virginia: Through Col. John West, His Sons, and His Daughter Anne West who Married Henry Fox. Ann Woodard Fox. Seebode Printing Service, 1958 - Families. Page 8, page 184. < GoogleBooks >

вчера в 6:20 после полудня

The oldest son of Anne Percy West was John West Jr. born 1632 which is the History of Percy year of George Percy's demise. ....... 1585,is Anne Floyd's given birth year plus 20 years equals year 1605. Jamestowne's establishment was 1607 when Anne Floyd would have been 22 years of age. Only a few women arrived in 1608 with the 2nd supply ship. The one named Anne Burris was 14 years old. .... I am thinking that George Percy married in England. 1632 minus 18 yr or 20 years is putting a time frame of 1612 to 1614 to create Anne Percy West. I think 1613 might be the marriage year. ( Anne Floyd age 28 ) In that given, what was Anne Floyd doing with her time until marriage? The only other known Anne is the age 14 years of age maid from 1608. -barely 18 by 1812. This is truly quite perplexing to assemble.

вчера в 8:33 после полудня

All right, we should look at her supposed parents, and think through her birth date better.

From https://www.wikitree.com/wiki/Floyd-265

Nathaniel Floyd age 24, port of entry James City Co., VA, on ship called the Nova - settled in Martins Hundred, VA & owned 850 acres. According to "Early Floyds of Pike Co., AL,” the immigrants Nathaniel, John, Walter & Richard Floyd were brothers;

Marriage Staffordshire: Burslem - Parish Registers, 1761-1809.

Nathaniel Floyd Birth: 1560 - England Death: 1607 - Jamestown, James City, Virginia, United States Parents: John Floyd, Agnes Floyd Siblings: Alice Rayner (born Floyd), Thomas Floyd, Richard Floyd, Joan Floyd, Mary Floyd, John Flood (Floyd, Fludd), John Floyd Wife: Sarah Anne Floyd Daughter: Ann Percy (born Floyd)

Sources

• N. J. Floyd in his VIRGINIA-KENTUCKY FLOYD FAMILIES (1912)
  • Family tree: Rowbury Web Site, managed by Heidi Rowbury

https://www.myheritage.com/site-258375921/rowbury

вчера в 8:39 после полудня
вчера в 8:46 после полудня

N.J. Floyd has it more clearly:

Biographical Genealogies of the Virginia-Kentucky Floyd Families: With Notes ...
By Nicholas Jackson Floyd. Page 6. < GoogleBooks >

The general trend of all Virginia and Georgia traditions and genealogies leads back to two Floyds who landed at Jamestown something over a dozen years after its settlement, as the progenitors of the family in the South. Their names are given as Nathaniel and Walter. A patient and exhaustive research among old records that have been preserved of Jamestown and the early settlements of Virginia, revealed the fact that in 1623 a record was made of the arrival from Wales of "Nathaniel Floyd, age twenty-four years, in his own vessel, the “Nova," bringing 16 other persons." With one single exception, which will be noticed later, there is no record found of any other Floyd landing upon the shores of Virginia. We find the name mentioned with increasing frequency after the middle of that century, but always, and only, in connection with some professional, business, or public enterprise or duty. One well buttressed genealogy, however, goes back only as far as 1675 when several Floyds settled in Accomac County, on the Eastern Shore of Virginia, “bringing their coatarmor with them," and accepts these as the original immigrants. But there is no room for reasonable doubt that they were grandsons of Nathaniel-perhaps one of them of Walter. And it is quite certain that John, the elder of the party, was the grandfather-possibly the father-of William of Amherst (1720-1789) from whom all the Virginia-Kentucky Floyd families are descended.
Though the name of Nathaniel's brother, Walter, is not mentionca, it seems that he accompanied him, and that they used the Nova for a number of years in trading with the home country. This theory is partly substantiated by the fact that not until 1632 did Walter patent 400 acres of land in “Martin's Hundred," and it was five years later when Nathaniel patented 850 acres in Isle of Wight County. Previous to these purchases the brothers took possession of an island on the Virginia coast which became known as “Hog Island" and is still so called. In 1653 a relative of theirs, Richard Floyd, came out with a view of investing his patrimony. After a visit at Jamestown he went north and settled on Long Island. It is believed he was the immigrant ancestor of William Floyd, a New York signer of the Declaration of Independence.
The father of the two young men, Nathaniel and Walter, was a man of some wealth and distinction. His name was John Floyd, born in Wales about 1570. From information and intimations gathered, here and there, in an exhaustive and persistent search into old historical and genealogical writings, it is gathered that when less than eighteen years of age he fought, as a volunteer, with the forces of Queen Elizabeth in the destruction of the Spanish Armada, which fearfully menaced the existence of the English government. In the extreme national peril Queen Elizabeth had appealed to every subject, able to bear arms, to offer his life upon the altar of patriotism. The young man was knighted by the Queen, and later married a lady of her household, who lived only a few years, and left him with a family of small children. He had already become a writer of some note and his proclivities being entirely of a literary character he became deeply interested in the writings of Ignatius of Loyola, whose doctrine had been recently promulgated, and he finally became a writer and lecturer in the Society of Jesus.

вчера в 8:53 после полудня

Susanne Floyd - how reliable is N.J. Floyd, writing in 1912, considered these days, can you find out? N other words, is there any current research - DNA? Floyd Family Association? To affirm or deny Nathaniel and especially daughter Anne? It seems we won’t get far from Percy records as they were scrubbed in England, and non existent in Virginia.

вчера в 8:55 после полудня

Travis Jones - if Nathaniel Floyd was 24 in 1623, and that should be a reliable factoid, then any daughter would have been born around that year or later, and we’re getting out of a time frame where Anne could have been his daughter, and also, wife of George Percy.

вчера в 9:49 после полудня

Erica Howton, I am managing my cousin's Y in the FTDNA Floyd Family and though there has been some changes (movement over time from unclassified to a color group), I can honestly say that I know no more now than I did when he and I started. Maybe one day.

The whole passage you reeled off has been promoted for years. I grew up with the Nathaniel Floyd saga as my lineage and believe some truth is in it. I believe that Walter died with no issue according to most of the research I could find on him. As for Richard who went to Long Island, I am not convinced his line was connected to the others, but that is the story and it has been around for generations - long before internet and many genealogical publications. It would be nice to have more Y samples. I just do not know how much they can tell with accuracy.

I had a more distant Floyd cousin contact me over a year ago with a story of our original ancestor - whomever he may be coming in with land grants and going back to England leaving his family for more land. He never returned, leaving wife and family, who grew up furious and ready to be rid of the crown. It was always about "The Land" in our family and they would marry their own cousin to keep the land in the family. It is a wonder we aren't blathering idiots. But I digress.

As far as N. J. Floyd goes, it is a source for all the trees on most platforms and I think it is like most of that time - Sellers, Bishop Gregg, etc. - There is much truth and some story as it does appear he has gone to some trouble to source some things. I do have a copy of the "Floyd Family History" by the American Genealogical Research Institute in 1978. It only states that Nathaniel Floyd "Immigrated to Virginia in or prior to 1637; owned 850 acres of land in Isle of Wight County at the time." No mention of wife or children.

I think they are all connected in the South, I do find it interesting on p. 7 in the N. J. Floyd Book that Henry Floyd is a Jesuit missionary in England. I have seen that before and wondered out loud how odd it was for Elzabethan times. Maybe he worked in foreign missions.

So I have been of little help. Women are enigmas at that time as they are not noted in most documents. N. J. Floyd seems to be about all we have.

вчера в 10:03 после полудня

My cousin's Y matches the following people that might pertain to this discussion:

William Floyd, b. abt. 1720, VA; d. 1789, VA

William D Floyd b 1840 d 1903 United States

Floyd Wales

Matthew D Floyd, b 1786 NC d 1880 FL, lvd Georgia United States

The problem is that R-M269 is about as common as a grain of sand at Myrtle Beach. "Celtic Fringe", but both my cousin and I have a good hunk of Welsh blood so there is that.

вчера в 10:40 после полудня

Here is something interesting - but we need to check out the names/dates/connections:

From the Andalusia Star, Andalusia, Alabama:

Floyd family descendants have rich heritage here
Published 12:03 am Saturday, August 2, 2014

By Curtis Thomasson

There were two earlier columns, which focused on the Floyd relatives who settled in Pike and Covington County, Ala. A Floyd descendant made available recently a compiled history of the family, which covers the earlier generations. This will be the basis of today’s column.
The Media Research Bureau, Washington, D.C., compiled pertinent information regarding “The Name and Family of Floyd.” To quote a paragraph, “The surname Floyd is derived from the Welsh baptismal name of Lloyd, being an English or American variant of the original. Lloyd, itself, is taken from the Welsh llwyd, meaning ‘grey’ and was originally a descriptive cognomen. In ancient British and early American records the name appears in the various spellings of Floyde, Flude, Flook, Floodd, Flud, Fludd, Fluid, Floid, Floide, Flode, Flod, Floydd, and Floyd, of which the last is the form most often found in America today.”

Floyd immigrants came from a number of different areas of England. The actual progenitors originated in Wales, and at least one branch of the family settled at a later date in Ireland.
“The Floyds have been described as generally physically vigorous and courageous, serious-minded, intelligent, and purposeful, possessed of ability as leaders and in some instances endowed with a background of wealth and culture. Members of the family have been outstanding lawyers, physicians, soldiers and statesmen.”

There were quite a few members of the Floyd family who came to America during the first half of the 18th century, and there were some men of note. William Floyd (1734-1821) who served as a major general of the New York Militia was a member of the Continental Congress and one of the signers of the Declaration of Independence. Another, John Floyd (1783-1837), was Governor of Virginia, and his grandson, John Buchanan Floyd (1807-1863) served as Secretary of War in President Buchanan’s Cabinet and became a Brigadier General in the Army of the Confederate States.

There were some who immigrated even earlier and in the 17th century. Joseph, John, Richard and wife, Lydia, Floyd/Flood arrived in New England prior to 1653. In 1854, Richard and William Floyd arrived in New York with large families. Many reached Virginia before 1660, and they included Jonathan, Richard, Flug, Newell, Robert, Samuel, David, Melchisadeck, John, John Jr., Arthur, Nicholas, James, Walter, and Nathaniel. In several instances, there was more than one person by the same name. These earliest immigrants seem to have settled largely in the areas presently included in the counties of Isle of Wight, Princess Anne, Surry, James City, Accomac and Northampton.

By the middle of the 18th century, there were many Floyds in the North Carolina Counties of Perquimans, Chowan, Bertie, Edgecombe, Craven, Beaufort and Bladen. As most families did the Floyds became caught up in the great migration just prior to the Revolutionary War and for many years afterward. They moved into the southeastern states and on westward.

The line of John Floyd of Wales is the one to be followed in this writing. His son, Nathaniel Floyd, is the immigrant from which this family being reviewed descends. John Floyd also had the following sons who came to America: Richard, John, and Walter. Richard was born in 1617, and in 1640 he was 24 years old and living in Lower Norfolk County, Va. John Jr. was born in 1601 and came in 1624-1625 aboard the Ship “Bona Vona” and settled on waters from Jamestown. Walter patented 400 acres of land in 1632 in Martin’s Hundred. Another brother, Wales, remained in his home country of England.

In 1623, the immigrant Nathaniel Floyd arrived on the Ship “God’s Gift” and probably settled in Isle of Wight County, Va. and then in Martin’s Hundred. On November 20, 1637, he patented 800 acres of land on Pagan Creek. He died before 1674, because in that year his widow, Mary Floyd, was married to Francis Hobbs Sr. Nathaniel and Mary had several sons including the following three children: John, Francis and Thomas.

His son, John Floyd, is the line being followed. This John left a will in Northampton County, Va., in 1687. In it he named the following sons: William; John, b. 1650, d. 1738; Frederick; Charles; and Morris or Maurice. The son, John, owned large acreage in Accomac County, Va., in 1675. Frederick owned land in the same county circa 1675. Charles was in the same county the same years, but left a will in the adjoining County of Northampton in 1718.

The oldest son, William Floyd, owned large areas of land in Accomac County circa 1675 also. His inventory was recorded in the adjoining County of Northampton in 1738. William had a son named John Floyd who left a will in Northampton County in 1756 naming the following sons: Morrisse, Thomas, Stephen, Jesse, John and William. (It is a challenge to following this line with the use of the same names each generation.)

The second son, John Floyd, appears to have had two sons, Francis who resided in Isle of Wight, and John who moved to Northampton. Francis married Joanna Goodson, daughter of Edward Goodson, and had at least four sons: Francis, Thomas, George and Joseph Floyd. Two daughters were named in another will, Martha and Joanna Floyd. John had three sons: John, Charles and William. Both John and Charles had estates in Northampton County during the late 1700s, but William was located in Accomac County circa 1675 and later moved to Amherst County.

John Floyd died in 1783, about two years after his wife, Ann’s, death. John and his wife, Ann, had at least the following children; Captain John Floyd, b. 1756, d. ca 1834, m. Nancy Anderson (1757-1857); Charles, b. 1740, m. 1762 Sarah Williams, d/o Jacob Williams; Williams; and Morriss. Capt. John and Nancy Floyd reared the following14 children: Stacey, m. John Jones; Charles, b. 1789, d. 1853; Cornelius; Rebecca, m. Charles Jones; Edna, m. James Workman; Naomi, m. William Johnston; John N., m. Louisa ? (1840-1861); Robert; Washington, m. Nancy C. (1813-1856); Andrews; Jefferson, m. (1) ? (2) Elizabeth ?; Joseph, m. Elizabeth ?; William; and Martha, m. ? Pitts. At least four of these sons moved to the State of Alabama: Cornelius, John N., Robert and Joseph.

William Floyd located in Accomac County circa 1675 and was married to Abidiah Davis, great aunt of Confederate President Jefferson Davis. They reared a large family including a son, John Floyd, who was married first to a Miss Burfoot and second to Sallie Buchanan. He became Colonel John Floyd who was a surveyor, teacher, County Lieutenant and Judge.
The next son, Charles Floyd, is the line being followed. He and his wife had at least the following children: William, m. Louise Bowden (1792-1844); Theopholis, m. Elizabeth ?; Charles Jr.; and two or three daughters. Charles Floyd served in the North Carolina Militia from Granville County in 1771 along with his brother, William Floyd. He was a Corporal in Captain Jonathan Kittrell’s Militia Company.

The source for this narrative was a book entitled Early Floyds of Pike County, Alabama, and Some of Their Descendants written and published by James P. Floyd and Dr. Hugh L. Taylor. Appreciation is expressed to Lisa (Patterson) Mollitor for making the book available.

I am connected to a bunch of the Floyds that moved to Pike County, AL. This is the first publication that I have seen a Frederick Floyd before 1700. Also a Francis Floyd is named. I want to see the will of John Floyd :

"This John left a will in Northampton County, Va., in 1687. In it he named the following sons: William; John, b. 1650, d. 1738; Frederick; Charles; and Morris or Maurice. The son, John, owned large acreage in Accomac County, Va., in 1675. Frederick owned land in the same county circa 1675. Charles was in the same county the same years, but left a will in the adjoining County of Northampton in 1718."

The author notes the problem with following lines of the same names. How well I know it.

вчера в 11:15 после полудня

Scratch the above. A work of fiction - or at least most of it. Just checked Miles Files and no Frederick, William, or Morris/Maurice as children of John.

More dribble that needs to be squashed. I am going to keep looking.

вчера в 11:36 после полудня

In 1623, the immigrant Nathaniel Floyd arrived on the Ship “God’s Gift” and probably settled in Isle of Wight County, Va. and then in Martin’s Hundred. On November 20, 1637, he patented 800 acres of land on Pagan Creek. He died before 1674, because in that year his widow, Mary Floyd, was married to Francis Hobbs Sr. Nathaniel and Mary had several sons including the following three children: John, Francis and Thomas.

Wonder what this is based on - not NJ Floyd, and not surviving records.:)

I’ve disconnected https://www.geni.com/people/Anne-Percy/600000000153122278 as now the dates don’t work for her to belong to Nathaniel Floyd family, nor is she mentioned in any Floyd study so far. Can we find her in Virginia?

вчера в 11:43 после полудня

So this statement is disproved:

www.geni.com/media/proxy?media_id=6000000187298035881&size=large

And George Percy returned to England in 1612, which is before Nathaniel Floyd even arrived in Jamestown in 1618 as an indentured servant. Generally speaking, Nathaniel could not have even married until his service was completed, and he’s noted as free only in 1627.

Показаны все сообщения (18)

Зарегистрируйтесь или войдите в систему чтобы участвовать в этом обсуждении