Показаны все сообщения (3)
вчера в 3:29 до полудня

Hi all,

The list of accused obtained from a Wiki page is incomplete (for example it did not include 4 of the 5 accused that were found guilty of treason and hanged). I have added them and linked their profiles.

I would like to update the complete list and use the original list (in the order of the court) from the historical record . For example:

A. on Friday 19th January 1816 the Landrost of Uitenhage, J.G. Cuyler who was the prosecutor included 47 rebels in the Criminal Claim and Conclusion. [Elmien - I've only typed prisoners 1-15 for this purpose but will type the complete list if there is support for this]
1. Hendrik Frederik Prinslo
2. Stephanus Cornelis Bothma
3. Cornelis Johannes Faber'
4. Theunis Christiaan de Klerk
5. Abraham Carel Bothma
6. William Frederik Krugel
7. Frans Marais
8. Adrian Engelbrecht
9. Andries Meijer
10. Andries Hendrik Klopper Jacobus.son
11. Nicolaas Blathazar Prinslo, M.son
12. Martha Faber, Widow of the late Johs. Bezuidenhout
13. Davind Malang
14. Hendrik Petrus Klopper, H.son,
15. Johannes Bronkhorst
etc. to 47. Willem Prinslo, N.son

B. on Saturday 20th January 1816 the Commission after they have read and examined the Criminal Claim and Conclusion and resolved that the first 39 of the prisoners or defendants, with the exception of the twelfth prisoner, be brought to the execution.

The 1st 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th and 6th prisoners being delivered over to the execution to be hanged by the neck till they are dead, thereupon the bodies of the 5 first mentioned to be buried at the said place under the gallows and the body of the 6th prisoner being put into a coffin, to be delivered to his family for interment. The 7th prisoner being also delivered to the executions to be made fast by a rope round the neck of the gallows and exposed to public view and to witness the execution. The 7th, 8th, 9th and 10th prisoners to be banished out of this Colony and the dependencies thereof, the 7th prisoner for life, the 8th and 9th for 7 years and the tenth for 5 years. etc. Others were fined and some for labour without wages.

I think from memory that most requested mitigation and some were granted possibly also for the 6th prisoner who the Prosecutor has known as a very well-behaved inhabitant and who acted very bravely in the great commando in the year 1811. I have not yet found the final sentences but still have 800 pages to work through.

Let me know if you are okay with preparing a more accurate list than the one we are currently using.

Your thoughts please.

regards,
Elmien Ballot

вчера в 5:12 до полудня

Absolutely agree!
Thank you, Elmien.

вчера в 1:24 после полудня

Thank you, I am going to update it over the next few days. I have since my message found the fiat and decree from Charles Henry Somerset, the final sentences were issued on 22 January 1816.

Показаны все сообщения (3)

Зарегистрируйтесь или войдите в систему чтобы участвовать в этом обсуждении