Ardevaste 'the Greek' Balthes, Prince of the Visigoths - Parents

Начала Debbie Gambrell сегодня
Показаны все сообщения (5)
Сегодня в 4:51 после полудня

Supposedly, these are my ancestors, so I was tracing them on Medlands, where it states that the parents of this Ardebast (ARDABASTO on Medlands) are unknown, mentioning that the parentage connected here on Geni as being unproven:

ARDABASTO, son of --- . The Chronicle of Alfonso III records that "Ardabastus came from Greece after being expelled from his country by the emperor…arrived in Spain" and was "received…magnificently" by King Chindasvinto who gave him his niece in marriage[356]. His parentage is unknown, although this passage suggests that he must have been a person of importance in Byzantium. Salazar y Castro, in his genealogical table of the Visigothic kings, shows "Atanagildo" as the son of Hermenegildo, as well as his marriage to "Flavia Juliana hija de Pedro Augusto, hermano del Emperador Mauricio", and their sons "Paulo" and "Ardavasto", as well as the latter´s marriage to "prima, hija o hermana del Rey Cindasuindo"[357] (see above). The primary sources on which these statements are based are not specified. The table includes numerous errors and the information should therefore be viewed with caution. The name "Ardabasto" suggests a connection with Armenia, "Artavazd" being one of the names used frequently in the Mamikonian family of Armenia, holders of the hereditary position "sparapet" [supreme general] between the 5th and 8th centuries[358]. There could also be a connection with Artabasdos (-before 772), strategos of the theme of Armenia, who in 717 married Anna, daughter of Emperor Leon III "the Isaurian".

If the connections are unproven, then the entre lineage beyond the connected parents are speculative and I can't truly count them as my ancestors. So is there any additional information to support the connections?

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

Сегодня в 5:42 после полудня

Debbie Gambrell - can you add notes to the profile abouts?

Сегодня в 5:53 после полудня

I meant to include the Medlands link which is where the above notes came from:

http://fmg.ac/Projects/MedLands/VANDALS,%20SUEVI,%20VISIGOTHS.htm#E...

Сегодня в 6:02 после полудня

This profile already has all those notes and more:

Ardabasto

and he's the one showing as my direct ancestor via the line of his son ERVIGIO also listed on the Medlands link.

Сегодня в 6:04 после полудня

The first note in his About section already states:

Ardabasto. According to Salazar y Castro, he was the son of a supposed son of Hermenegildo the Visigoth who married a relative (Flavia Juliana) of Emperor Mauricius. The connection is speculative.

Показаны все сообщения (5)

Зарегистрируйтесь или войдите в систему чтобы участвовать в этом обсуждении