@ Agnes Philomena Bradbury: NAME ON RECORD

Started by Private User on Sunday, July 11, 2010
Problem with this page?

Participants:

Profiles Mentioned:

Showing all 9 posts
Private User
7/11/2010 at 5:46 PM

IN THE 1930 CENSUS, my Mother, "PHYLLIS" IS SHOWN AS "PHILOMENA" BRADBURY, age 5, living with her maternal grandmother, "Head" of the household, Catherine Martin, age 68. (Gmother Martin is shown as having both parents born in Ireland.) Other family living in that house in Atlantic City, Ward 4: John P Martin, 43, Henry J Martin 36, Raymond, 11, John,8, and Catherine (not Kitty) 9. Others: Catherine C Murray age 40, "Roomer", born in Ct, and Bridget McMahon, Boarder" , born about 1884, from Ireland. What a houseful!!!

To clarify, use "Philomena" when searching records for Phyllis Bradbury Garr.

7/11/2010 at 7:09 PM

If you put her real full name in the name slot and her Phyllis in the nickname slot (under Personal), then searches for any combo will show up.

7/12/2010 at 11:55 AM

OK, now I see this 'discussion' page. I remember attending an 'Uncle Harry's' viewing ...he must be the Henry J Martin age 36 listed above. Kitty of course is a nickname for Catherine.

Who is Serafina?

Our grandfather's name was William Henry Bradbury.

It would be interesting to get the 1900 census from Philadelphia to check Catherine Kelly. I think the census of 1910 was destroyed in a fire from what I've heard.
I also thought your mother was named after her mother Philomena....who was called 'Minnie Martin'. It does get confusing. I assume that Aunt Agnes was a Great Aunt to your mother.....Aunt to Minnie who died when your mother was 2 yrs old.

Enjoy the search. Not all records are accurate from what i hear from folks who get into this stuff big time.

Private User
7/12/2010 at 12:01 PM

@Philomena Bradbury Garr
To Serafina:
Thanks for your input! I was posting this info because some of my relatives had been searching under "Agnes Philomena" ... which was found on my Mom's birth certificate recently. I only placed the nickname "Phyllis" in the comment, so relatives would know exactly who I was talking about! In my own recent search, I used only Philomena and had success. BTW, how did you happen to receive my comment ... are you a relative??

Private User
7/12/2010 at 12:30 PM

@Philomena Bradbury Garr

Meant to correct date of Census which I used in the first entry: it was the 1920 Census, not 1930 .

To Patricia: I don't know Serafina either ... maybe a "pen" name?? I only entered the name Catherine in the email to clarify what is placed in our family tree ... Kitty. If anyone wanted to follow-up on her, it would matter. Now I want to enter, "Minnie" for Philomena Martin Bradbury, too. How sweet! I would have liked that better than Phyllis as a nickname for my Mom!!!

In looking at a million name combos to find Mom's Dad ... I knew he was William Henry from your entry on the Geni site ... I found the perfect combo in the Census of 1910, which I guess, did not burn! It was WH,32, P, 30 in Phila, Ward 43 ... but, shucks, the children were Rose, age 3 and Mamie, 1 1/2. Mamie could have died but the age of Rose is off I think ... do you know your Mom's birth year? ... Here it would need to be 1907; I haven't tried to figure how the other kids in the 1920 Census fit in .. I will have to do that before I give up on this one!!

However, I am more interested to know where WH, Rose and Loretta were when the others were living with GGmom Martin in AC, but no luck so far! Any input there? Do you have access to Census records on Geni?

Have you tried to find Catherine Kelly? I will look for her if you can't access those records ... lived in Phila?
Good Luck ... it is fun, esp when you make unexpected discoveries!

7/12/2010 at 2:54 PM

As I wrote somewhere...my mother (born 1906) was 14 at the time of the 1920 census. She must have been living at the Georgia Ave address because there's a graduation photo of her from Our Lady Star of the Sea grammar school. I have no idea why she isn't listed.
I've never gotten into census records.....Geni doesn't have them.

I think I remember a baby born between my Mother (Rose) and Ray...could have been the 'Mamie' you found....never heard a name tho'. Her mother had 8 births, I believe ...six lived...Rose, Raymond, Kitty, Loretta, John and Philomena.

Your mom went to Holy Spirit grammar school with Tommy Miller's mother at some point. I think your mom and Aunt Kitty were living in an apt with my mother at that time.....perhaps....1925 or so thru...1929 ish. Do you know when your mother went to live with Mrs. Burkhalter???..not sure of spelling?
Not sure if there was any truth to this statement, but someone said our great grandmother (Kelly) was related to Grace Kelly's family. That's all I know at this point. Keep searching.

7/12/2010 at 2:56 PM

p.s. where did you get hold of the census? Did you have to pay for it? Is it a US Census or just NJ/PA?

Private User
7/13/2010 at 10:01 AM

@Philomena Bradbury
To Patricia

(after email to you)
I wonder if we will find William Henry continuing to live in Phila where he was sure to have work. "Nanny" (Ann) Burkholder had a rooming house in AC according to Dora Hughes, a woman who became a lifelong friend ... she met Dora in Phila and went to AC to work in the Vienna or maybe some other place first. There is a "baby" picture of your brother in a chair/rocker on her back porch in AC.

PS: Where is Serafina??? Tell us who you are!

7/13/2010 at 2:18 PM

Click on Serafina's name....she is a software developer. More than likely your question went to her. She probably does the software for Geni.com

My neighbor told me today she uses World connect to search for things. I checked world connect thru Google....couldn't find anything on WH Bradbury. Death records probably would have something. He died of TB in AC in '36.

Also tried to find heritage request or something like that thru the library for census data. Couldn't find heritage. Neighbor said 1890 was the census destroyed in a fire.....last census is 1930. Lots of work involved in this.
Gotta get back to my movie making.
/p

Showing all 9 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion