Historical marker database

Started by Erica Howton on Friday, August 20, 2010
Problem with this page?

Participants:

Showing all 11 posts
8/20/2010 at 6:45 AM

I've recently been running across photos of historical markers and adding them to profiles as relevant, and just found an interactive database of these images -- kind of the findagrave.com of signs, houses and monuments. On mission for genealogy, wouldn't you say?

The site notes:

History Happened Here
National and global events all happened somewhere, and historical markers mark the place where many occurred. But the richness of history is in its local details, details that can be insignificant on the global stage: the home of an individual who made a difference; a natural feature, building, byway; or something interesting that happened nearby. History is not just about the high and mighty.

http://www.hmdb.org/

8/20/2010 at 7:06 AM

I have found several ancestors on findagrave.com. Because someone took the time to list the 7 children of my 3rd ggrandfather I found 3 more family members as my mom just had 4 children. Be sure to look close at the pictures as sometimes the data on findagrave is different because of transcription errors.

8/20/2010 at 7:10 AM

Findagrave.com is a wonderful service. But I'm now having fun with the historical marker database. They pick up maps, wikipedia pages, war memorials, etc. -- and also seems to be a labor of love and cell phone cameras.:)

Private User
8/20/2010 at 8:44 AM

will have to check it out.
and as you say - History is about the unknowns more than the Big Names - the little dog that ran into a burning building to awaken a young Ulysses who would one day become a war hero and president.
but you are not likely to find that tidbit in the history books (and yes, I invented it on the spot) - or about the firefighters who got that fire out before the elders who would raise he succumbed to that smoke as well.

8/20/2010 at 8:50 AM

Susie,

As usual, we are on the same wavelength.

Part of what is so interesting about this "historical" project we are mutually engaged in is documenting and illustrating "forgotten" history, starting with our own families.

And how interesting it all turns out to be.

8/20/2010 at 8:51 AM

P.S.

I also have to admit, much as I love old graveyards and the dying art of tombstone carvings, it can get me a little creeped out.

Feels better to chase up historical markers. :)

8/20/2010 at 9:35 AM

This is great info, thanks Erica. I have a few photos that I can add there.
Good stuff!

8/20/2010 at 10:00 AM

So it's really an interactive site, right? You contribute and you also borrow. That's part of what's so cool about it.

I entered one of my family surnames (Willard) and found all kinds of neat info (and photos, I love photos). Now to figure out where they go on my tree. :)

Private User
8/20/2010 at 10:13 AM

Erica, I also recently discovered that site (I was looking for information on a town). I agree that it's a great site.

Private User
8/20/2010 at 10:15 PM

Erica,
Thanks so much for the link to the historical marker site, I'm always searching for new ways to research. :)

8/21/2010 at 6:31 AM

Miranda,

Let me know how it works for you. I found it very helpful for a (minor) historical figure I was profiling last night.

Showing all 11 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion