Removing Connections under Relationships Tab when Editing a Profile

Started by Angus Wood-Salomon on Thursday, September 30, 2010
Problem with this page?

Participants:

Showing all 9 posts
9/30/2010 at 10:07 PM

Noah Tutak

I know I brought this up before but I cannot find the discussion

It would make it much easier if the profiles showed the dates of birth and/or death, or circa birth and/or death dates.

Today I had to try and remove a spouse relationship for a John Warren ( 1500 - 1576), John Warren (1480-1525 )

When you go into the Relationship tab and there are 7 or 8 John Warrens you do not know which one to choose..

10/1/2010 at 3:36 AM

Good suggestion, I'll get it added.

10/1/2010 at 5:34 AM

thanks - that has been one of the time wasters when merging from the tree.

Private User
10/1/2010 at 11:34 AM

Angus Wood-Salomon, thank you for bringing this up again.

Thanks, Noah Tutak, for your responsiveness. This will be a huge help!

Private User
10/1/2010 at 3:11 PM

I have also run into this problem. This will be a welcomed addition to the editing process. Thanks!

10/1/2010 at 8:03 PM

I have desisted from merging into other peoples trees. It just takes too much time, and it is not easy, with, as you say, very often insufficient info available to facilitate the process. I hope Geni realizes they have to facilitate these processes if they want us to pay for the privilege.

10/1/2010 at 9:05 PM

Geni does realize it and if you read the blog (link at footer of page), you will see that they have been on a rapid release track of enhanced software. I worked in IT many years and understand the effort it takes to build a platform, from scratch, in less than 3 years, with 45 million profiles, world wide distribution, etc. etc.

On the "people" side in less than a month they've provided enhanced tools to 40 curators from the user community, who also try and provide some help on actual genealogical issues.

Did I mention the basic price is no dollars, no cents, which worked fine to build out my family tree back to the middle ages in six months, with more data and detail than my family was able to do in a lifetime?

Private User
10/2/2010 at 6:28 AM

I agree with Erica. There is a real give and take with Geni. It's an amazing unique tool and it's getting better and better. We need the tools to keep coming.

I started my tree a few years ago with a family tree that went back to William White, who came over on the Mayflower. The tree was literally two people for every generation. I put all of that into Geni and went sideways a lot. Then, linked the tree with the big tree and what I know about my family now is amazing. I don't mind putting the time into something that gives back more than 100 fold.

Private User
10/2/2010 at 8:23 AM

@Maria - your tree is already connecte to the Big Tree and your profiles will eventually be merged into other duplicates. More here:
http://wiki.geni.com/index.php/Big_Tree

Showing all 9 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion