HELP - Greek Family Names in Greece, Romania, Australia & New Zealand

Started by Paul Zagoridis on Sunday, December 12, 2010
Problem with this page?

Participants:

Profiles Mentioned:

Showing all 4 posts
12/12/2010 at 5:41 PM

I have my own rules for entering names in my own genealogy program. But Geni is global and collaborative. Hopefully I can get some guidance here.

I now have 3 or more cousins all collaborating on our extended family tree. We are all related in some way to Gerasimos Polimeris

Following the lead of the Bible Tree, I think we should add names in English / Greek in the display name. That is fair to everybody and gives us a chance to be found by cousins in the future.

However taking Gerasimos Polimeris as an example. His family nickname was Mima or Mema (I have no idea about the greek). In Romania,his name was written formally as Gerasimos Polimeris. In Greece (where he died) it was written Γεράσιμος Πολυμέρης and latinized Polymeris with a Y. When talking about him he is Πολυμέρης (Polimeris) when talking to him directly he is Πολυμέρη (Polimeri)

So some of his closest relatives have names entered as Polymeri, Polimeri, Polimeris, Polymeris. Don't even start on maiden names in that family.

If I understand correctly, the current suggestion is English Name / Foreign Language Name and every variant in the Nickname field. Is that correct?

If so then I think the closest family relative can pick the First, Last and Display name field.

What do you all think?

Private User
12/13/2010 at 12:26 AM

Every variant should go into the Nickname field, but in general I only recommend using the mixed alphabet method on internationally known profiles.

I don't expect that you use this method on your family profiles unless you have none-Greek family members who is not so familiar reading Greek.

In any case I consider the mixed-alphabet /spelling method as a temporary compromise until Geni comes up with some better solutions where for example we can add language-dependent names.

12/13/2010 at 2:13 AM

Thanks for the answer Bjørn,

Like most of the Greek diaspora we have family who are not confident with written Greek. I'm one of them - thank the heavens for Google Translate. But my younger cousins can't even read or speak Greek.

Sources are in at least 5 languages over the last 120 years English, Greek, German, Romanian and Turkish. English and the local language should be the default. But not everyone is confident in those either.

Hopefully Geni will come up with some multi-language settings. After all they are just tagged lists.

5/10/2011 at 7:03 AM

Paul Zagoridis
Such Greek names variation means that this "Tree Matches" problem is still actual....
http://www.geni.com/discussions/93962?msg=701070

Showing all 4 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion