mother / daughter dates can't be correct

Started by Sandy Coleman on Thursday, May 12, 2011
Problem with this page?

Participants:

Profiles Mentioned:

Showing all 13 posts
5/12/2011 at 5:53 PM

Ludmilla (Ragnhildis) von Ringelheim could not be born about 858 if her mother was born about 869.

Private User
5/15/2011 at 3:23 PM

Hi, Sandy!

I've noticed that you've been posting a lot of discussion posts about specific profiles over the past several weeks, but it looks like you're not getting many (if any) replies. Can I maybe suggest a different approach to get the help you're seeking?

If you click on the "Contact Profile Manager" link on the upper-right-hand side of each profile, you can get directly in touch with someone who has knowledge of the profile in question. When you post here, most of us reading don't have a connection to the profile and can't give you much assistance. Contacting the profile manager directly might get you the help you seek, and a lot faster, since they're much more familiar with the people in question than we are.

As a side note: I've noticed that most of the profiles you've posted about are very old ones, from 1300 or earlier. The reality is that a lot of those profiles are largely mythological and the dates given are rough estimates from legend. If you're seeking precise accuracy, you almost certainly will not find it. Most genealogists take those types of records with a grain of salt because it's literally impossible in most cases to verify their information, or even the existence of the people described. But it's great that you're looking at them all so carefully!

Good luck,
Ashley

Private User
5/15/2011 at 3:42 PM

(Thanks again Ashley for chiming in!)

Sandy,

I, too, have noticed your posts and think it's great to be documenting questions, inconsistencies, seeking clarification. I'm particularly partial to starting discussions from the profile in question, thereby tagging that individual and giving the question/comment context.

I think it would be helpful if Geni would include a reference, indicator number on the discussion tabs within profiles (similar to the 'Sources' tab) so viewers would know that there's more to look at.

Also, as Ashley said, contacting the manager is a great option. Often, however, the main manager may not be active any longer or may not be the most knowledgeable.

After you click 'Contact Manager' and the new message form opens, you'll see some additional choices of 'Groups' you can additionally select. (Add Group: Immediate Family | Family | Immediate Family of | Descendants of ) Those might also yield more involvement and return on your investment.

(Don't stop starting a discussion from the profile, though! In fact you can include a link to that discussion instead of restating your query, data, conclusions...)

Jenna

Private User
5/15/2011 at 3:57 PM

Yes, I should clarify that I wasn't presenting it as an either/or option. I just want to see you getting answers to your questions, so maybe try the other method in addition to the one you're using now. :)

Private User
5/15/2011 at 6:28 PM

(Oh, Ashley! I certainly didn't mean to imply that your suggestion was some how inferior or erroneous. I *know* your wonderful servant heart and it's desire to attend to others reaching out. You assist in a desperately needed welcoming personal presence -- and you do it well!)

5/15/2011 at 6:51 PM

I love reading Sandy's posts because too many people don't ask common sense questions about profiles!

Jenna - it would be cool to have profiles linked to discussions, wouldn't it?

If Sandy's questions are in a particular era, there may be several curators who work collaboratively in the era and know how iffy dates are. I know that for Norman nobles of the Medieval era, we mostly know "died after such and such date" and not much more. Same for the early Anglo Norman era, such as the Butlers of Oversley and Wemme who I worked on. I had to hypothesize dates and then use common sense, assuming that a generation spanned ~ 20 years.

Private User
5/15/2011 at 7:19 PM

Hatte -

Profiles *are* linked to discussions (mentioned in the column on the left), if the discussion is started from that profile, or if it's manually tagged in a post. (Note Ludmilla's link up there.)

What I would *love* to see, as I mentioned above, is a number on the 'Discussions' tab just like the 'Source' tab when there is additional information.

I can't imagine that most users make a habit of clicking that tab on the off chance some other person asked a question or is researching a similar subject. I certainly don't!

It could be an incredibly valuable tool to facilitate yet another avenue to connect with other relatives or users! (Don't you think so too, Mike Stangel? Hint. Hint.)

Private User
5/15/2011 at 7:34 PM

No worries -- I wasn't offended at all. :) I'm glad we're finally giving Sandy's questions some attention!

5/15/2011 at 7:48 PM

So there is a Discussions Tab Jenna? I had not ever opened it, I don't think.

I only see discussions if they are current or get bumped somehow, like the old discussion on the D'Aubigny and D'Albini families which was fascinating. I'll start taking a look at that tab.

I agree with you. I have found quite a few cousins through discussions.

5/15/2011 at 7:49 PM

I took a look for myself and indeed, there is a Discussion Tab and Ludmilla's contains this thread!

Private User
5/15/2011 at 8:27 PM

I know! Swell, huh? Wouldn't it be great to see some indicator there to draw people in?

As it is now, the multitudes of productive discussion starters, feelers, questions, bits of knowledge remain hidden... Someone else (Myrna, MEZ?) and I mentioned the possibility of adding a number there when creating our feature request list *way* back in the fall. It never really picked up much buzz.

I use them a lot! That way as I'm in the midst of working in an area, I can document situation x, my notes stay in a relevant, connected area to revisit when I return and I know where to pick up. And sometimes, someone else finds them, too -- Connections become collaboration!

It *could* be more prominently displayed, explained, utilized.

(I have so many ideas I'd love to throw out on a whiteboard for Geni, but alas, we don't yet have a productive way to access staff... Someday! :-) )

5/16/2011 at 12:16 PM

You should put feature requests on the new help site...

5/16/2011 at 2:44 PM

Thanks for looking in Mike Stangel. I hope Jenna will follow up on her great suggestion. I'm happy to have learned to pay attention to the Discussion Tab.

Showing all 13 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion